It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump urges GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Found another article. This one from mid-February, when apparently no one cared, because it was just one little Democrat Congressman relating the story.

www.reuters.com...

Still, only one lonely Democrat reporting this 25 cents @ gallon gas-tax proposal.

What's interesting is, since mid-February, gasoline has increased from $1.90 @ gallon to $2.99 @ gallon, and judging from the weekend traffic, no one seems to mind.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Makes you wonder why Democrats didn't jump all over this "alleged" statement 😎

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Is your head spinning?

I bet your head is spinning.

lolz

So are you in favor of the tax increase or not?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
If "dedicating that money to improve our roads" was true and the money could never be used somewhere else than I wouldn't mind the increase.

In that event, the money would, in large part, go back into the economy via private contractors, but I don't believe it would work out that way. I'm not sure there is even a mechanism to do it with that constraint.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Trump urges GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

In this case Trump is stupid.

With less vehicles using gasoline it's going to have a compounding effect on gas taxes.

It's time the nation begins start having the conversation of what is going to replace it.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

It's definitely a question that people are asking right now.
edit on 6-4-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So?
Get an electric vehicle. Viola!

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Our Democratic governor wants to raise the state gas tax by forty five cents a gallon. Couple that to the twenty five cents tax Washington might levy and it will be costing us seventy cents more a gallon. Our governor is planning on giving 500 million of the state road money allocated for road repairs to the schools after the tax is put in. So basically the gas tax is giving a raise to teachers.

On top of that, our new governor is giving most of the new tax money to the most well used roads, so up in the Upper Peninsula we will not get much for the mega bucks we spend locally on gas because you have to travel so much to go to work and to the stores. It sucks.

So Trump, maybe if you give the UP all of our states share of the federal tax to repair our pot holes on top of pot holes, I will forgive you for sinning.

edit on 6-4-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
So more gas tax to subsidize more oil drilling.

At a certain point, it will be cheaper to go green. Back when the prices were around $4:50 a gallon it was pretty close already.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
So?

That may work if you live in a big city or an Island where your commute to the beach or Starbucks is only a mile or two.. However there are many people who live in the sticks and use their gas guzzlers to transport goods to market or drive many miles to get to work.

Besides once everyone is using electric vehicles they will just charge you by the miles traveled.. They are already trying to get that approved in some states..

The biggest appetite after control is taxes for most governments.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If AOC gets her 'green new deal' .. No one will have to worry about gas prices because the phasing out of silly things like owning a car will slowly become obsolete.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Yup. They're working on a mileage tax (in lieu of a fuel tax) here, as we speak. Makes sense, on first blush.

edit on 4/6/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
That's how it's supposed to work isn't it? The free market and all? ]

anyway, I'm going back to my corner and rock myself to sleep repeating, "me no likey, orange man bad...me no likey, orange man bad"....

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So?

You are a smart guy, so you realize that's not currently practical for many ppl, such as rural communities, farmers, people who live in places with heavy snowfall, etc, right?

Not only that, most taxes on gas, and diesel pay for road infrastructure, so there would have to be alternative taxes if every vehicle were electric.

Don't make every darn thing about environmental agenda.
edit on 462019 by Mach2 because: Add last line

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: carewemust

Makes you wonder why Democrats didn't jump all over this "alleged" statement 😎

If Chuck Schumer wanted to put out a lie about President Trump, and have the most impact with it, instead of picking a radical Democrat to spread the lie, Schumer would pick a conservative Democrat, like Delaware Senator Tom Carper.

The last time Schumer himself tried to float an anti-Trump lie, i.e. "Trump banged the table and stormed out of the room", it backfired, because no one (but CNN and MSNBC) believed him.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I know. I can't afford one myself. But don't those people have electricity?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Absolutely ridiculous idea. He should ask Bush Jr. about how gas prices can tank your Presidency. New construction will come to a halt, inflation occurs because of higher cost to get goods/ food to market etc.

Not a great idea at all.

edit on 6-4-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I know. I can't afford one myself. But don't those people have electricity?

Lol yes, but I've never heard if a production model 4wd, or truck that is electric.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That 25% increase on gasoline would equate to under 5 cents a gallon increase, as the government currently has a 18 cent per gallon cut. That’s nothing.
Catch a bus if you can’t afford to drive perhaps :-)

...Yeah, I know I got 25 cents and 25% mixed up, i’ll read a bit slower before being a smart arse next time.
edit on 6-4-2019 by kingparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ford is working on an F-150, hear tell.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join