It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump urges GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

President Trump tried Wednesday to persuade his fellow Republicans to raise the gas tax. In a closed-door meeting on infrastructure with members of both parties, Trump pitched the idea of a 25-cent increase in the gas tax, which hasn't been raised since 1993. There's a growing rift among Republicans about whether it's worth considering a tax hike to fund much-needed upgrades to America's roads and bridges.
“To my surprise, President Trump, today in our meeting, offered his support for raising the gas and diesel tax by 25 cents a gallon and dedicating that money to improve our roads, highways and bridges,” said Sen. Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.), who attended the meeting. Carper supports the increase and said “Trump came back to the idea of a 25-cent increase several times throughout the meeting.” The president “even offered to help provide the leadership necessary so that we can do something that has proven difficult in the past,” Carper said.

This happened almost 2 months ago and I didn't see a lot of traffic on this so I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

*ahem*

TRUMP, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GOD-DAMNED MIND??????????????????

If Trump wants to ruin his chances for 2020, then raising taxes is the sure fire way to do it. MY GOD! All the left does is talk about raising taxes!

And DC still spends like a bunch of retarded monkeys on meth.

Why not just go ahead and GIVE the country over to the Marxist assholes who want to tax us out of existence!

Raising taxes would screw so many things up it would be catastrophic!

Trump, you do this, you're an asshole and I will not forget.

DO NOT RAISE MY TAXES GOD DAMMIT!

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I agree.

Not a good move to motivate your base Trump.

A lot of States are already raising taxes on fuel.

For infrastructure.

Don't raise Taxes on the Citizens! There are other ways to do it!

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I like Trump, mostly, and what he's done for the Country. But this price increase question begs yet another, one posed by Tucker Carlson recently.

Is Trump Trying to Lose the 2020 Election??

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

Thats so when they raise it by a nickle we'll think we're getting a good deal...

link   

Isn't fixing the roads a STATE issue?
I know my governor sure thinks it is!!!!!

link   
dp

mishap
edit on 6-4-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Didn't Obama push through a trillion dollar infrastructure spending bill a few years ago?

What the hell!

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Let's see... a Democrat and the Washington Post said this. Both have lousy credentials and integrity. Add to that, a huge bombshell like this was kept "secret" over the past 60 days.

If no Republican in attendance confirms, this is just another B.S. story from our Anti-American media and Democratic party.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

WoW!

If Trump was really just sick of the job, and didn't want to spend his 70s locked in the White House, why not just say he's decided not to run for a second term? It sounds to me like what Tucker Carlson is describing is an attack on the GOP by trying to throw the election to the Democrats.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Plus a half a billion in medicare cuts, cut E-verify funding, and the gas tax.. That is one way to lose and election IMO..youtu.be...

I see Sookiechacha beat me to it !

edit on 727thk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's a Red Herring to get Democrats all stirred up 😎

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am not in favor of a gas tax hike at all and won't be one bit happy about it. I also don't agree that doing such a tax hike on petrol should be to that amount. 25 cents is way too high. But increasing taxes for the reasons stated, especially since Bush's stimulus package in 2008 of 152 billion, Obama's 800 Billion stimulus package didn't produce chit either. I think they were both failures and just a way to shove money inconspicuously into certain pockets.

Will I chnage my political ideology because of this? No.

edit on 6-4-2019 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Is your head spinning?

I bet your head is spinning.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Or, he's 'really' the antichrist

HIghly doubtful though.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

I agree.

For infrastructure.

I'm not necessarily in favor of any rise in taxes, as any money the government gets it's greedy hands on is mostly wasted.

I have to ask though, what are the other ways you would suggest?

Aside from the military budget, congress will never voluntarily cut $ from any existing programs.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's a Red Herring to get Democrats all stirred up 😎

This is the most likely explanation.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Me no likey. Orange man bad. Me no likey. Orange man bad.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If "dedicating that money to improve our roads" was true and the money could never be used somewhere else than I wouldn't mind the increase.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I try to be optimistic and I always attempt to see both sides not just one. But just how much money could he make from losing the election as opposed to winning it? If I didn't ask these kinds of questions, like Tucker Carlson is ( a big Trump Supporter btw), i'd make a lousy journalist.

according to Forbes.com, Trump has lost 200 MIllion dollars since the Election. We all know that Trump doesn't like to lose.
edit on 6-4-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

originally posted by: highvein

I agree.

For infrastructure.

I'm not necessarily in favor of any rise in taxes, as any money the government gets it's greedy hands on is mostly wasted.

I have to ask though, what are the other ways you would suggest?

Aside from the military budget, congress will never voluntarily cut $ from any existing programs.

Stop all aid to other countries until we have our own house in order.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join