It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs might be alive today without that pesky asteroid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   
There have been stories I seem to remember where the article or NATGEO movie was saying the Dinosaurs were doomed and to specialized to have survived... They were already on their way out before the asteroid hit and wiped them out along with many other species.

We are not talking birds and chickens here but the real dinosaurs that comes to one's mind when a DINOSAUR is mentioned. Anyway I found the article interesting and it makes me wonder what would have evolved over the last 66 million years if they had not all been killed; bigger birds hahaha?

The full title of the article is : Dinosaurs ‘would’ve lived on’ as experts reveal ‘they were thriving’ before asteroid wiped them out

Dinosaurs were "thriving" before an asteroid strike wiped them off the face of the Earth, a new study reveals.
It shatters the myth that dinosaurs were already declining when a cataclysmic "mass extinction" event struck 66 million years ago.
Recent research found that dinosaurs were killed off thanks to the combination of a major asteroid collision with Earth and intense volcanic activity.
CLICK ON THE SUN FOR MORE
But scientists have long suspected that dinosaurs were on the way out anyway, after struggling to adapt to climate change.
However, a new study by UK scientists revealed that dinosaurs were "flourishing" at the end of the Cretaceous period, just before their sudden demise.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Same reason they find cities and towns deep underground,the earth goes through cycles,one of which destroys any living thing on earth,we have artifacts which indicate such,earth is reformed,start over again

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

The giant lizards were already on a decline during the first half of the Cretaceous period. The asteroid strike was just the final nail in the coffin to be honest.
The dominant dinos were bipedal, or at least mostly stood on two legs, largest of course being T-rex, but a lot of the super giants ended up in the oceans, or just died off to stream lined predators. There's a reason why birds survived the strike, and huge sauropods died off.

I think if the strike didn't happen, there would be a lot more Emu type animals running around, and giant birds, or strange creatures like in Australia. But, at the same time mammals were also evolving before the strike due to continental drift. Our earliest ancestors were little tree dwelling rat things, wonder if we would have been here at all if that space rock didn't hit.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

We still have some species who are dinosaurs. Chicken, right? Alligators an Crocodile. All birds actually I think developed from feathered dinosaurs.
What's up with the Platypus?
The Dodo!? It's so sad.
Rats in Australia is a tragedy.
I think I'm no expert. I also think we should think about the living not the dead.
What is really actually going on here?

But yeah dinosaurs I think too their days we're simply numbered because the Oxygen decline in the atmosphere.

edit on 6-4-2019 by Peeple because: silly mistake

edit on 6-4-2019 by Peeple because: two

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Remember some time ago an article saying that scientists were planning to bring them back from fossil DNA or something.

Just can't wait. We can have huge barbecues.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Sometimes I think our scientists sound like a bunch of flat-earthers. Postulating whatever fits their own narrative at the moment. Were the Dino's dying out, or were they not? No one knows for sure. What we do know is they aren't here now. They're long gone, just like we will be someday.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Geography, and geology easily explain how and when dinosaurs lived and in what time periods. People tend to forget that paleontologists rely on several other scientific fields to come to a solid conclusion.

Scientists cant just make stuff up, becuae of they did it's not science. It's just random thoughts about a subject.
edit on 6-4-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well, dinosaurs are alive today. Birds are the descendants, plus some species remain largely unchanged sine the time of the dinosaurs e.g. the coelacanth and finned shark.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I didn't forget, and I know how the basic science of it works. The comment was a half-joke...

Scientists cant just make stuff up, becuase of they did it's not science. It's just random thoughts about a subject.

You actually got my point, even if you didn't realize it at the time.

edit on 4/6/2019 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

Same reason they find cities and towns deep underground,the earth goes through cycles,one of which destroys any living thing on earth,we have artifacts which indicate such,earth is reformed,start over again

But those cities and towns were abandoned for one reason or another, and things were built on top by other people.. not different species after one had become extinct.

I don't know why anyone would say dinosaurs were on the way out.. now many millions of years did they continue to evolve.

And we're a measly few hundred thousand..

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Unlikely the bigger ones as there isn’t enough oxygen in the air for there small nostrils and lungs
They were not created for the environment after the flood

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Unlikely to occur soon.

We will more likely advance to the point of being able to genetically engineer them from scratch, before we are able to use millions of years old DNA. Any "fossilized" DNA from those time periods, is 100% NOT DNA anymore, if you find any intact, at all.

It's just minerals, Marie.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
a reply to: Trueman

Unlikely to occur soon.

We will more likely advance to the point of being able to genetically engineer them from scratch, before we are able to use millions of years old DNA. Any "fossilized" DNA from those time periods, is 100% NOT DNA anymore, if you find any intact, at all.

It's just minerals, Marie.

The upper boundary of 0.4–1.5 million years (dependent upon environmental factors) is the cap for a sample to contain sufficient DNA for contemporary sequencing technologies. After that, the entropy of mineral replacement will ensure it's fate. (WP and SA have excellent articles on this).

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: gallop

Unlikely the bigger ones as there isn’t enough oxygen in the air for there small nostrils and lungs
They were not created for the environment after the flood

What flood?

Are you referring to the "biblical" flood?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Why single out specific animals during an event as such?

Minus the small additions of information that drip feeds to humans there are numerous species that lived through the cataclysm. The details will remain unspecific always, but the species that could get under water or deep under ground seemingly lived to fight a new dawn.

Look at crocodiles. They are living dinosaurs. They could park under water, so they lived on. Roaches were able to bury themselves in the ground... they move on.

Perhaps they're scaling in size came down as well due to restricted new living quarters?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Well if they were we sure would not be the apex predator top of the food chain species that we have become.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I read that oxygen levels were higher and that's how the dinosaurs got so big. Then an asteroid hits causing fire. Fire loves oxygen. Must've been hellish on the surface for a long time. Depending on the amount of oxygen in the air, even a lightning strike could've ingnited a worldwide Firestorm. Just a theory.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
I read that oxygen levels were higher and that's how the dinosaurs got so big. Then an asteroid hits causing fire. Fire loves oxygen. Must've been hellish on the surface for a long time. Depending on the amount of oxygen in the air, even a lightning strike could've ingnited a worldwide Firestorm. Just a theory.

Actually, recent data suggests that the O2 levels from the Jurassic to the end Cretaceous fluctuated between 10 and 20 percent so half of current O2 levels to roughly what we see today.

You may be thinking of the latter part of the Carboniferous where we see moss the size of trees, 20 foot long amphibians, 9 foot long millipedes and massive ancestors of today’s dragonfly’s with a 3 foot wingspan. At that point because of the recent abundance of photosynthetic plants and inability of bacteria to breakdown recently dead and decaying plant matter, the O2 jumped up to ~30% atmospheric 02 compared to today’s 21% 02 levels.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Did I read this title correctly?

"Dinosaurs might still be alive if they didn't die"...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Science is a guessing game.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join