It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Congress force Trump to hand over taxes ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Lets see if he can find those tax returns though.

Let's see if you can find the law though.

Oh, wait......See below, er, above. THERE it is! And the answer is: "No!"
edit on 4/5/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They can’t make Trump, but they can order IRS to. Let’s get everyone’s tax returns while we are at it. I would love to know how politicians are in the millionaire bracket when they wasn’t before.
edit on 5-4-2019 by willzilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is so much of what usually comes out of the south end of a north bound bovine.

Yes. Certain committees can request tax returns.......WITH JUSTIFICATION.

If the IRS has not found a problem with Trump's tax returns....

AND if he is under audit, which I personally have no problem with someone who has the kind of income Trump has, to be under audit......That's exactly what the IRS if for.....collecting taxes......they have no problem going after people (including well known celebrities.. cough cough Willie Nelson, Wesley Snipes, etc.) who fail to pay the proper taxes...

If there was a problem with Trump's tax return....that is between him and the IRS and nobody else. Period.

Requesting some ones tax returns because of political bias is crossing a line.

Apparently, at this point, the Democrats have absolutely no problems crossing red lines.....it's a contest to them now to see how far they can draw the red lines before one of them goes to jail. It's at the bottom now for prosperity LOL

My meager two cents.

I do feel better now. Thank you ATS.
edit on R092019-04-05T18:09:42-05:00k094Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Personally, I'm waiting for an educated opinion from Lois Lerner 😎🍤

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If the IRS discloses Trump's private info and returns to an obviously political opponent, it will go to the Supreme court. Doubtful, the IRS will disclose due to an obviously political request to start another fishing expedition to control Trump.

When does this end? When OAC is president?

(post by Dr UAE removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Common sense people.

People who have large incomes from diverse portfolio's do not do their own taxes.

1. Getting Trump's taxes returns will get you nothing of years of tax returns signed by a certified accountant that Trump hired to do his taxes.

2. It will denigrate to the actual person whose signature is on the form as certifying that the information is correct. It will then denigrate to Trump supplying false information to the preparer.

3. During month's of CNN coverage about Trump's tax returns, anonymous sources will report that Trump informed his tax preparer to falsely report a form, that he personally had knowledge of, to the IRS.

In the end,,,, a big fat nothing burger...fully dressed with a side of fries.

Film at 11.

It's almost predictable.
edit on R352019-04-05T18:35:03-05:00k354Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Halfswede

Its the law. I didn't write it.

Of course you didn't write it, you just quoted it even though it is totally imaginary. You quoted your own imagination AGAIN.

I love when leftist indoctrinated people quote "laws" that don't exist except as figments of their imaginations. Are you in competition with AOC trying to outgun her imaginary exploits?

LOL so funny.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The Supreme Court will find this request to be "Corrosive" and "Coercive" 😎

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Christosterone

Yes they can. Now lets see if the IRS complies. Some think that trump may have said something to them about not releasing them but if he did he is in trouble again.

Again? When has he been in trouble before?
You really are unbelievable with your constant lying about Trump having done something illegal.

The Mueller report exonerated him in case you didn't know.

So, when exactly was he in trouble?

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Theophorus

I guess a better question would be is if there is a law that states that a sitting president of the United States, if subpoenaed has to hand over his/her taxes?

The Ways and Means Committee isn't asking Pres Trump for his tax returns, they're asking the IRS.

Can the IRS be subpoenaed and if so under what context?

U.S. Code Title 26. INTERNAL REVENUE CODE Subtitle F. Procedure and Administration
(f)Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1)Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

It appears they have the right.

Here's a statement by Committee Chairman Richard Neal.

“The IRS has a policy of auditing the tax returns of all sitting presidents and vice-presidents, yet little is known about the effectiveness of this program. On behalf of the American people, the Ways and Means Committee must determine if that policy is being followed, and, if so, whether these audits are conducted fully and appropriately. In order to fairly make that determination, we must obtain President Trump’s tax returns and review whether the IRS is carrying out its responsibilities. The Committee has a duty to examine whether Congressional action may be needed to require such audits, and to oversee that they are conducted properly.

“I today submitted to IRS Commissioner Rettig my request for six years of the president’s personal tax returns as well as the returns for some of his business entities. We have completed the necessary groundwork for a request of this magnitude and I am certain we are within our legitimate legislative, legal, and oversight rights.
waysandmeans.house.gov...

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Trump’s Businesses Have A History Of Money Laundering Charges www.ibtimes.com...

Not to mention Trump University or the Trump Foundation, both closed down due to illegal activity.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

That's the law. They are not asking for copies to send to the NY Times. They want them in closed session.
They will probably get them.

Sweety, you don't know the law, can't cite the law, probably can't even read the law.

All you are doing is parroting what CNN tells you.

A House committee has no legal standing to request any tax returns that even MIGHT disclose the identity of the individual.

Only the Senate can do that and only when it is in executive session.

You know, the session between the Senate and the Executive branch... the President.

That's why it is called an Executive Session.

So no... no matter how many dimwits tell you that this is the law, it actually isn't.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Trumps lawyers all ready put a stop to it. There is severe legal issues with an opposition party requesting a president's tax returns. Mark my words if they did get them someone will go to jail. They will leak his tax return to the press and it is a felony, punishable by up to five years, to improperly disclose private tax information.

In other words Trump could demand the FBI find the leak and jail them. There is no way his tax returns can be made public without his permission unless someone goes to jail.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Trump’s Businesses Have A History Of Money Laundering Charges www.ibtimes.com...

Not to mention Trump University or the Trump Foundation, both closed down due to illegal activity.

Is that what you are going to use to have him impeached now that Russian collusion didn't pan out?

You people really need to get a life already.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You asked a question. "When has Trump ever been in trouble before?" I answered it. Don't get defensive because you don't like the answer. I'm not responsible for Trump's bad behavior and lawlessness. ''

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CADpro

Trump said he emailed em to Hillary. This email somehow got lost or something I dunno.

Maybe she wiped them with a cloth or something
.lol

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is the law that allows Congress to get copies of Trump's taxes:

(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress

(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

In legal parlance, the "shall" means must.

And they are not merely requesting Trump's personal taxes but those of a number of his companies.

Trump, and his legal representation, has to be careful about trying to stop this.

Because elsewhere it states that it would a federal offense (carrying a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison) to directly or indirectly contact the IRS in an attempt to prevent this disclosure.

Not entirely sure how he would fight this. I guess he'd have to take congress to court?!?

But the statute seems very clear.

So, congress will likely be getting all the tax returns they requested.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You asked a question. "When has Trump ever been in trouble before?" I answered it. Don't get defensive because you don't like the answer. I'm not responsible for Trump's bad behavior and lawlessness. ''

Couldn't you find the time he was in trouble back in kindergarten for pulling on a little girls pigtails?

I am not defensive I am literally appalled at the stupidity as well as the depths you will sink to in order to justify your TDS.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Trumps lawyers all ready put a stop to it.

Trump's (personal) lawyers can't stop it. They may be raising legal objections, but they haven't stopped anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join