It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Congress force Trump to hand over taxes ?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Look, the Trump Administration is boldly declining to obey the law, not based on arguing the law is non-applicable or that the Ways and Means Committee doesn't have jurisdiction and isn't exercising their legal authority. They're arguing motive, victimization and presidential harassment.

Good luck with that.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Actually their argument is exactly what the law says are reasons Congress can not get the information, as already decided by the Supreme Court.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Is that so?
Asking for business records with an act clearly written for the president himself is not harassment?

Guess we will see when the courts get involved.
How long did it take for obamas irs to respond to congress?
Wonder if trump has that much time left in his term or this congress has that much time in their session?
New sessions of congress require new requests dont they?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I already posted why your take on that is incorrect. The law is very clear here. The IRS shall comply. It doesn't say the IRS shall comply unless the President throws a tantrum and claims to be a victim of politics and orders the IRS to refuse to comply.

In fact:

26 U.S. Code § 7217.Prohibition on executive branch influence over taxpayer audits and other investigations

(a)Prohibition
It shall be unlawful for any applicable person to request, directly or indirectly, any officer or employee of the Internal Revenue Service to conduct or terminate an audit or other investigation of any particular taxpayer with respect to the tax liability of such taxpayer.

………..
(e)Applicable personFor purposes of this section, the term “applicable person” means—
(1)the President, the Vice President, any employee of the executive office of the President, and any employee of the executive office of the Vice President; and
(2)any individual (other than the Attorney General of the United States) serving in a position specified in section 5312 of title 5, United States Code.

(c)Exceptions
Subsection (a) shall not apply to any written request made—

(1)to an applicable person by or on behalf of the taxpayer and forwarded by such applicable person to the Internal Revenue Service;
(2)by an applicable person for disclosure of return or return information under section 6103 if such request is made in accordance with the requirements of such section; or
(3)by the Secretary of the Treasury as a consequence of the implementation of a change in tax policy.
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

nice
so nothing in there about businesses?
so then the request is crap?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I gave you the law and you poo pooed the source of Cornell University. I don't know why but you did.
They didn't write the law nor was what I sourced anyone's opinion of the law. It was the law as it is written.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I agree. Anyone who is responsible for writing laws or appealing for laws to be passed or able to pass laws, should be looked at to make sure they do not have undue influence from sources they take special interest in. Like writing laws that would lower your own personal taxes or favor your families business.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Based on how Americans love to keep records of Baseball which stand the test of time (really adds to the history of the sport), with the * asterisk denoting less-than-official records, Just give Mr Trump a star he will be happy, and future generations can make of it what they will, ala Roger Maris, Barry Bonds etc

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

the attempt to entrap the campaign by obamas ic?

I seriously doubt it.

oh and please provide ANY source that says trump had anyone lie about anything, source other than your bs wishful thinking please

I'd offer up the entire Trump Tower meeting event. From start to fabricated lies ending which everyone in the White house repeated. Based on a story he concocted aboard AF1 and fed to Hope Hicks and his lawyer ( can't remember his name and he has since quit. ) That was the first of I think four stories about just this one incident.
edit on 472019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How do we know?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I seriously doubt it.

not surprising considering you still believe the steel dossier
twitter.com...

I don't think you are ready for the truth.

I'd offer up the entire Trump Tower meeting event.

Sweet, would you like to start with loretta lynch approving the "russian spy" entering the usa?
thehill.com...

Homeland’s statement confirmed court testimony and records cited by The Hill on Wednesday that Veselnitskaya was initially turned down for a visa to enter the United States and required the special immigration parole permission as late as January 2016. The court records did not indicate how she entered the country after that time. A federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan told the court in a hearing in January 2016 that the “extraordinary circumstances” parole request needed to be approved by Attorney General Loretta Lynch.

The whole thing was a set up.
Sorry your world is upside down.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Lets say Congress does get ahold of President Trump's tax returns. Who cares? Do you think Congress will then show the public?

Why do you want to see President Trump's tax returns? Do you think you would find something that the IRS missed? Funny.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I gave you the law and you poo pooed the source of Cornell University. I don't know why but you did.
They didn't write the law nor was what I sourced anyone's opinion of the law. It was the law as it is written.

Do you think congress will see his tax returns?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If this is only about the committee reviewing the IRS policy for auditing the POTUS's taxes, then the committee only needs to see the IRS policy, not the returns themselves. Asking for the returns too is just Dem wishful thinking. Let the IRS turn over their policies and procedures for evaluating POTUS's taxes and then Congress can decide if those rules need to be changed/clarified/whatever. Actually having Trump's taxes isn't necessary.

Side note: Does anybody in Congress even do their own taxes? What makes them think they'll find something the experts over in the IRS failed to find?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Christosterone

Yes they can. Now lets see if the IRS complies. Some think that trump may have said something to them about not releasing them but if he did he is in trouble again.

In trouble again?...after the FACT that your side made up the whole "Russia/Collusion" and it was the DNC/Hillary/Obama who colluded with a foreign spy to affect the U.S. elections and depose the dully elected POTUS?...

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

They are "desperate." Their whole "Russia collusion" crumbled in front of their eyes meanwhile the DNC/HIllary/Obama did collude with a foreign spy and the Russians themselves. But for the deranged left it always has to be "Russia, Russia, Russia..." Why does it always have to be about Russia?

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I don't care about Cornell, I care about what the US Supreme Court has already ruled directly on what Congress can do here. Why are you more interested in Cornell than the US Supreme Court?

Congress has no authority to investigate people for possible crimes, zero, none, as decided by the Constitution (implied) and the Supreme Court (explicitly). You liberals are so crazy in your rabid hatred you are so happy when Constitutional rights are trounced.

Congress absolutely can not seek private information to try to find crimes. Watkins v. U.S, it must be a legislative reason. The IRS Shall Comply when a true legislative issue is at hand, otherwise the Constitution forbids the IRS from complying because the Constitution forbids Congress from investigating. This is all decided law, not up for discussion.
edit on 8-4-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

When was the dossier debunked? Oh right it hasn't been.

til that time...

The whole thing was a set up? Why did Russia think they could finagle their way into the campaign?

And that whole story about Loretta Lynch personally having to approve her visa is total bull. The department of justice does not approve this type of parole visa, the department of homeland security does.
The story in the Hill was bull.

Trump Falsely Blames Loretta Lynch in Son’s Meeting With Russian Lawyer During a news conference with President Emmanuel Macron of France on Thursday, President Trump falsely accused former Attorney General Loretta Lynch of admitting the Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya to the United States in 2016. Credit Stephen Crowley/The New York Times Image During a news conference with President Emmanuel Macron of France on Thursday, President Trump falsely accused former Attorney General Loretta Lynch of admitting the Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya to the United States in 2016.CreditCreditStephen Crowley/The New York Times By Linda Qiu July 14, 2017 Defending his son’s meeting with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 presidential campaign, President Trump wrongly blamed former Attorney General Loretta Lynch for admitting the lawyer to the United States in the first place. “Somebody said that her visa or her passport was approved by Attorney General Lynch,” Mr. Trump said Thursday at a joint news conference with President Emmanuel Macron of France. “She was here because of Lynch.” Mr. Trump was referring to a report in a Capitol Hill publication, The Hill, on how Natalia Veselnitskaya, the Russian lawyer, entered the United States without a visa in early 2016. Ms. Veselnitskaya, according to the report, was granted immigration parole to represent a Russian businessman, Denis Katsyv, in a money laundering case in New York City.
But the use of parole for entry is not particularly unusual, and approval authority lies with the Department of Homeland Security, not the Justice Department. And there is no indication that Ms. Lynch was personally responsible for the decision

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 482019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

No I do not think the committee would show the public.
I don't care a fig about seeing his tax returns. Please I've had enough with tax laws and accountants to last a lifetime.
So no I dont want to see his.

The IRS doesn't care if he has businesses that conflict with his presidential duties. As long as he pays.
But congress would like to know where his money comes from and what policy he might make to benefit himself.

Its a regular check and balance thing.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Yes.
And I do not think it will go to the courts either.
The law is there and if the president tells the IRS not to comply he will be breaking yet another law so I doubt it will be denied.

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join