It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your truth vs what we are told to believe: let’s get real

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I realize that there are many factors involved in such an open ended question.

BUT, ask yourself... how much does your reality match what you are told? If you are white, you should feel guilty. If you are a minority, apparently you should demand more rights!

If you are a woman, you are a victim, if you are a man, you are an oppressor. If you’re a strong independent female, you’re a b$*tch, if you’re not, your anti feminist. There is no way to be right anymore bc there will always be someone that tells you you are wrong!

My truth though.... everyone’s truth is something that should be held In reverence.

No one can take that away from you unless you allow it.

Be true and honest with yourself and NEVER NEVER allow anyone to persuade you otherwise

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Everyone’s opinions should not be held in reverence. They are just opinions. If you believe in things that are not demonstrable, i will certainly point these things out and ask you why you believe in them.

Also, The entire point of having conversations, is to come to a demonstrable consensus. They are not just so you can tell everyone what you think, and how important your opinions are to you.

You should always be open to haveing your mind changed when demonstrable information is added to your existing beliefs. One thing that will always be true, there are facts out there that you are not aware of.
edit on 4-4-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Every person is deeper than just the tip of iceberg. People can jump to conclusions. People should be multifaceted and complex. Often through compromise and discussion a greater understanding of a lot of things can be reached. I admire your passion but you seem to be thinking about something.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Be true and honest with yourself and NEVER NEVER allow anyone to persuade you otherwise

I can see where you are taking this, and to an extent I can agree, but there are invariable instances that it is not good for the person to be their self.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Another thing.... no matter what position you take, there will always be people who disagree with you, and possibly some people who agree with you. Neither of those things have any bearing on whether your beliefs are valid.

Your goal should be to find a way to check if your beliefs are valid, and to let go of any beliefs that are not valid.
edit on 4-4-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
If truth was relative I’m not sure it would still be called truth?

True is true. Can’t really get around It. So It doesn’t matter what “your truth” is.

Perspective,opinion, itchy butt.

Truth can be found in logos.

Anything else is just farting in the wind.

But hey, that’s just my “itchy butt”, man...

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Dubs
edit on 4-4-2019 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Dbl itchy post
edit on 4-4-2019 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Neither of those things have any bearing on whether your beliefs are valid.

What is it that makes a belief valid?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

If you can demonstrate that it is valid. Have you heard of the scientific method?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Luckily there's folks out there who don't need media or peer pressure via social media to have a moral compass.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Your opinions are formed by your subjective perception of reality. Those opinions may be important to you, but they really shouldn't be important to anyone else, unless of course they have weak minds or are mentally defective.

Everyone's "truth" is an opinion and opinions are not necessarily truth, sometimes they're just opinions. Reminds me of a saying, "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
I realize that there are many factors involved in such an open ended question.

BUT, ask yourself... how much does your reality match what you are told? If you are white, you should feel guilty. If you are a minority, apparently you should demand more rights!

If you are a woman, you are a victim, if you are a man, you are an oppressor. If you’re a strong independent female, you’re a b$*tch, if you’re not, your anti feminist. There is no way to be right anymore bc there will always be someone that tells you you are wrong!

My truth though.... everyone’s truth is something that should be held In reverence.

No one can take that away from you unless you allow it.

Hello.
Would you like to define, or describe your concept of truth, a little more?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If you can demonstrate that it is valid. Have you heard of the scientific method?

Does the scientific method lead to truth?
Always? Sometimes? Never?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Scientific Method? There is more than just science in life. There is also differing degrees of morality. To follow any path without a moral heading is just as absurd as to have knowledge without wisdom.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
As a white male that grew up as a local minority in the inner city with poor parents, so much of this "your truth" stuff is complete bovine scatology. Sure I got out of the city, and thank God that I did, but do I have privilege because my father worked his ass off putting himself through college while having 3 kids and a wife and end up with a PhD? The answer is no. Did I start working as soon as I was legally able to in my state (16), and have to pay my own way through college? Yes. Yet I am still "privileged" because I am a white male who started and runs his own business from his own work?!?

The problem with this is insinuating that there is "truth" that can be found in social sciences, as opposed to physical sciences. They do not and can not come to the same types of conclusions, as the basis of the "knowledge" gained in each field is intrinsically different. In social sciences there are many more factors than can "fixed" through statistical analysis, and only rough correlations can be found, then these are pushed as the "truth". In physical sciences these same methodologies only give a best estimate of what truth is, and it is not (or should not) be taken as the whole truth, as eventually something will be wrong or something will be discovered that throws that entire thought process on it's head. Anyone that tells you "the science is settled" is flat out lying, and does not have an understanding of what science is in the first place.

end rant

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

We were created in the image of God, if you had as much faith as a grain of mustard seed.

As on earth so in heaven.

Quantum alterations in the very fabric of reality, observation changes uncertain states to fixed one's and that is our mind directly influencing reality itself.

Reality is what we make it but only to a small degree because we were born into a reality that was already here, framed by the mind's of the living and held by a mind greater than all of them, the one whom created it all in the beginning.

Time is an illusion but only he is outside of that illusion because only he is really - real.

Beyond our observation and beyond our limited ability to change his eternal state.

There was a story once relayed to me by a former friend whom died to me when he turned out to be a serpent and a wolf and betrayed not only me but my mother.

He told me a story about a man whom was put under regressive hypnosis whom while in a deep trance taken back to before regressive memory's of being a cave man.

He said that this former human race of whom he was a member of had been far more advanced than we are now not only physically but in there very nature and spiritual level, they were according to him far higher than we are now.

They had learned to control there very reality itself, lived eternally and could do almost anything BUT they pushed it too far, the universe which has a mind of its own - think of it like a reflection of IT'S Creator - would not take any more of there bad behaviour, they had created a paradise for themselves but in there power all of there worst trait's were pandered too and they had grown corrupt and evil so the universe destroyed them but not absolutely, it turned and there control snapped like an elastic band pushed pulled too long until it snap's and there controlled reality vanished, there advanced state of being unravelled as they had left the normal and natural process of getting there long ago - living in kind of dream time if you like - and they were reduced to little more than animal's, in fact animal's were far better prepared for the universe they found themselves in, they could not even talk, they could not think and they found there body's were beastly as the universe chastised them forcing there soul's to have to relearn it all over again - this remember was not linear time but reality itself changing in a kind of mega mandela affect in which they had formerly been almost as God's but were now as animal's.

Of course he read it in a book that was written by an Author so real or artistic license or did my former friend make it all up?.

edit on 4-4-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein
This is the worst part of it. Most modern philosophies are based on everything being absurd! Then we have people praising existentialism and trying to live and breath in an existential fashion. Then we wonder why we have such high suicide and crime rates? The sheer audacity of it is astounding. For those of you that don't know what existentialism is, it is foundationally denying that morality can have any real effect on thought, and that morality can not and is not objective. Due to this it is stipulated that all human action is thus absurd. Absurdity in this context, at its core, means that there is no meaning to life and that it is foundationally impossible to have or find that meaning. From that framework it should be pretty darn easy to realize that why so many people are floundering, having no direction in life, and are so centered on self gratification. Then when there is no direction, or no novel way to gratify one's self, there is no longer any reason to live.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Hey not only modern, remember that guy that spent ages sitting bow legged under some tree somewhere decided it was all an illusion as well, he even decided HE was an illusion and then tried to figure out how to stop being entirely as if that would then deposit him or whatever into a higher self beyond the illusion of ego and reality.

My take on it is everything is real, but reality goes very far beyond what we are able to know as we are very limited creatures, creatures with ego's that when faced with how small we are then decided we are huge and the universe is tiny which does not make us bigger just smaller in ourselves as we then cut off the reality of our world and what lies beyond.

No one can live without living, we have to live in this world here and now, to face up to the challenges of our lives and I personally believe in doing no harm and trying to do good, to help other's and by doing so to help ourselves, I believe in a greater reality NOT that this reality is an illusion.

edit on 4-4-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   

That's kinda why I.. like, backed away from all of that # as well as political debates on the internet, trolling, hell even Facebook. I used to be active in a couple of popularity contest closed groups with fake friends and selfies. I was active in all kinds of topics political, social, religious and music topics.

What had happened.. when Bernie Sanders was running for President, I got caught up in one of those friending spree circles. You add anyone that has a few or more mutual friends and they do the same. So, I ended up with around 150 friends of all walks of life and locations. A couple of years later it's not always political stuff being discussed, debated, but all kinds of #. If I wanted to look at and talk about anything, sort of a buffet, I could but I rarely do.

All of the fighting got stale. One group picking on another who picks on another got old. Right vs left, atheist vs christian, arguing with vegans lol, picking troll fights with other lamers, I feel detached and separated from all of the garbage. The garbage being what people are saying, not the information, concepts or ideas themselves.
edit on 4/4/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join