It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new American civil war

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Nah. You can keep those. I think my animal-tranquiller-tipped rubber bullets should see me through.
When you all wake up, I'll buy you a beer.

If you tranquilize him while I'm around forget the beer, he'll need therapy when he wakes up.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Problem is that no one holds them to the responsibility to represent their constituents rather than their party. I would do it as President, but the over/under on me catching a bullet (probably from multiple shooters just to be sure) is six months.

But there is no bet on me splattering a few brains publicly long before that as the odds are too few, like a nickel payout for every dollar bet.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Therapy? More like they would start playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto if not stopped.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Sure, but my point was that the argument "we don't have a democracy" tries to negate the fact that officials are democratically elected. It is still a form of democracy.

edit on 5-4-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

A member of the forum, AugustusMasonicus, has applauded your activity on this thread titled, A new American civil war. Thank you for contributing to the quality of our forums. You received a 500 point bonus, keep up the good work. Do not reply to this message.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

a reply to: JBurns

JB, I'm not your enemy, and I never have been. I am someone with an opinion, just like you.

The party system has failed us and the 2 sides are irreconcilable.

This is only your opinion, which I see as untrue. You do realize it's the antithesis of the Constitution? We have a way, a legal and an intelligent way to solve our differences. It's called "voting".

Somewhere, somebody out there possesses the finesse and intelligence to put this humpty-dumpty of a country back together again.
We just need to find her/him and get them in the WH. When we are reduced to believing it can't be fixed without "splitting", or compromising, then we've lost the very foundations that make this country successful to start with.

You do understand, I hope, that this country has become way too partisan and bigoted to find compromise again, yes?

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nah. You can keep those. I think my animal-tranquiller-tipped rubber bullets should see me through.

If you tranquilize him while I'm around forget the beer, he'll need therapy when he wakes up.

Will you keep the wounds clean or let them fester?

asking for a friend of a friend's associate.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Would you like to buy a brown shirt from me?

Don't waste one of those on me, two reasons.

1. It won't work, I've worked my way up to elephant tranqs to hallucinate.

2. I can help you round up the rowdies, and I'll take beer as payment

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Therapy? More like they would start playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto if not stopped.

That's a long way to say assault rifle.

A(ssault) R(ifle)-15

I'll see myself out.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Lies. What's your ulterior motive for helping her?

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

The rest of the country would cheer if LA, San Fran, Chicago and NYC wanted to pursue secession. The shooting war would start when they petitioned to return in order to keep them out.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

She has beer.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Of course you are not my enemy ladyinwaiting I consider you a friend and valued American

To be sure, I am not suggesting any course of action least of which declaring any chunk of our population as the enemy. I would expect liberals (actual liberals) to be equally concerned by those who seek to subvert our Constitution and force/trick/subvert Americans into something they do not want any part of. That by itself is illiberal and anti-democratic in nature

I just want to make it very clear I do not view you as my enemy, in any sense of the word

This is only your opinion, which I see as untrue. You do realize it's the antithesis of the Constitution? We have a way, a legal and an intelligent way to solve our differences. It's called "voting".

True, and (as usual) I should have been much clearer on that especially given the seriousness of this topic. I respect your opinion of course but I do believe our party based system has failed this country. I do agree that as of right now there is still some degree of political discourse available, but with decades of gridlock in congress it is becoming clear that a stalemate exists in that regard and I have to wonder whether or not given the erosion of confidence in those institutions people will continue having faith that their issues/agendas can be implemented through that avenue

Somewhere, somebody out there possesses the finesse and intelligence to put this humpty-dumpty of a country back together again.
We just need to find her/him and get them in the WH.

I do agree with you on that, and I hope I'm wrong about this and that we find this woman or man who will indeed bring the country back together and give us the ability to air our grievances peacefully and respectfully. I am also a realistic however, in that the underlying problems of one or more sides trying to force its will and agenda down the throat of the other(s) could cause us to end up right back where we are now. That doesn't mean I don't think we should at least try, as anything to avoid such a nightmare scenario (civil war) is worth the effort

With that said, many of the changes/compromised proposed are just incompatible with the core beliefs of the opposing side. The green new deal, for instance, would result in a "fundamental transformation" that many on the right are fundamentally opposed to. Some of our propositions, as another example, flies in the face of what many on the left fundamentally believe in.

If we say "agree to disagree" and "stop forcing beliefs/opinions onto others" then we end up in a state of co-existence. But realistically, is there any person on either side willing to make such a compromise? Essentially is it not the left wing saying "this needs to change" and the right wing saying "no things are fine as they are" ? If I am mistaken or missing something crucial here, please do tell me. I have an open mind and will be one of the first to admit if I am wrong. I hate the taste of crow but have eaten it plenty of times in the past

I just don't see how a solution can be reached when neither side is willing to budge and the institutions we have that are designed to facilitate this agreements/negotiations is as non-functional as it is today. How many decades have the people's business been held up by two near-equal sides in congress unwilling to agree on what color the sky is?

I do thank you for your reply ladyinwaiting, and as usual it is sincerely a pleasure
edit on 4/5/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

She has beer.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The war isn't a new one, and it isn't Liberals versus Conservatives. It's men versus women, and always has been.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Pfft beer, I know how to make Applejack the traditional way like the colonists drank. Way better because it is like kicking back on the front stoop drinking 40’s of malt liquor today but way better tasting.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

We could have all those things, yet our Constitution uses the word "Republic" and not democracy.

I will concede many functions of our government are democratic in nature, but this does not change the fact that "democracy" by name was mentioned by the Constitution's framers and regarded as a form of tyranny

I fundamentally oppose the idea that a majority of any size should be permitted to exceed limits placed by the Constitution. For example, if 99% of the population wants to ban all firearms, they would be enacting an agenda tyrannical to the remaining 1% who do not.

If 80% of the population wants to ban certain kinds of free speech, they would be oppressing the remaining 20% who oppose it/are indifferent

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
The war isn't a new one, and it isn't Liberals versus Conservatives. It's men versus women, and always has been.

In what World does that make sense? Do you think Republican Women would agree with this statement?

If that is the case I better hide, if Mrs. Burns is involved I am crusin' for a brusin'
(I say that in jest of course)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Pfft beer, I know how to make Applejack the traditional way like the colonists drank. Way better because it is like kicking back on the front stoop drinking 40’s of malt liquor today but way better tasting.

Uh oh.... Looks like people are starting to bid for my services with intoxicating wares.

Last time this happened I came to in an inflatable t-rex suit behind a Bojangles.

I'm game.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Last time this happened I came to in an inflatable t-rex suit behind a Bojangles.

That was supposed to be a state secret

or something

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join