It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA declares opposition to reauthorizing the Violence Against Woman Act

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Why doesnt this bill include women that commit domestic violence?
People would be surprised by how many men are physically abused by women.

This bill has nothing to do with protecting anyone from violence, it's only about pandering to a voter base.

You met my ex-wife. She was an aerobics instructor.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That's the problem the NRA, and myself have with the legislation.

You can be taken to jail, and convicted of a domestic charge that involves no violence whatsoever. I can understand the night in jail, as it is essentially a cooling off period, and may stop things from escalating, depending on the specific situation.

Anyone who is painting this as the NRA protecting wife beaters is not being honest, and have an alternate agenda.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Someones argument is invalid.

Felons lost their right to own a firearm in the 60s. (Violation of the second and Eighth).

Even though there is no 'citizenship' test to practice our rights.
edit on 4-4-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

So my fiancee's piece of # ex that held a gun to her head while he let his friend rape her should be allowed to still own a gun?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Lab4Us
What the disingenuous are leaving out is that the liberals are trying to include in this bill that transgender males must be admitted to women’s shelters and prisons. Apparently a transgender male to female already raped two women in a UK prison. But let’s pretend it’s about guns if it makes the liberals feel better!

www.dailysignal.com...

Exactly........

But why would the op leave this out of his hit piece, er I mean thread?????

Hmmmmm

Nice dig. I guess for some people it's just impossible not to be an a hole.

The reason I left out the transgender part was I did not read anything about transgender in the two articles I referenced.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

So my fiancee's piece of # ex that held a gun to her head while he let his friend rape her should be allowed to still own a gun?

Hyperbole

And even if it's true that's a felony, so no he wouldn't be able to anyway

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

What the disingenuous are leaving out is that the liberals are trying to include in this bill that transgender males must be admitted to women’s shelters and prisons. Apparently a transgender male to female already raped two women in a UK prison. But let’s pretend it’s about guns if it makes the liberals feel better!

www.dailysignal.com...

Exactly........

Hmmmmm

The reason I left out the transgender part was I did not read anything about transgender in the two articles I referenced.

An ahole huh? There's irony in the fact that you're the one calling names.......

The reason you left it out is because you have a vendetta against the NRA and it would have undermined your blatantly bias and completely false narrative of your thread...... Kinda like how you left out my mention of your other thread that accuses the NRA of working w Russia

Otherwise, you should probably be more thorough in your research before making your hit pieces.....
edit on 4/4/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's not hyperbole. That actually happened.

So you do believe that felons should not be allowed to own a gun.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

why should some lose their right to purchase a firearm just because they punched their wife in the fa

If you're convicted of punching your wife in the face (not in real self-defense) then you should not be able to own a gun. Keep as many POS's away from guns as possible.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Boadicea

www.google.com...

www.socialsolutions.com...

Thank you. There are some interesting statistics there. Some that require more scrutiny, like this one:

In 15 states, more than 40% of all homicides of women in each state involved intimate partner violence.

It might be more practical and effective to consider why these stats are so high in some states.

I would say that women are abused more than men but only because men are physically stronger and dont stand there and take a beating.

Well, given the statistics, that's a given:

85% of domestic violence victims are female, and 15% are male.

Perhaps it's not so much that women "stand there and take a beating," but rather that they don't have much of a chance to fight back. Presuming the woman is even conscious and able to fight back, women are more likely to flee (or try to) than fight back. Because they KNOW that's their only chance at survival. Fight or flight. Men stand a fighting chance... women don't.

One of the statistics however --

2 in 5 gay or bisexual men will experience intimate partner violence in their lifetimes.

-- would indicate that men who are abused by their partners are often abused by MALE partners as opposed to female partners. It would be interesting to see statistics on domestic violence within lesbian relationships -- NOT including the men who identify as "butch lesbians"!

Apparently it happens more than we think.

I'm not sure many people "think" about it at all, much less have an opinion on it!

I really dont see why it matters if it doesnt happen as often. It still happens so it should be included in the bill.

And I dont like the bill even if its equally enforced but it would be better than it is now.

I agree there. Violent assaults are not wrong because of who does it to who. It's wrong no matter who it is.

But as another poster pointed out, there is a stealth effort to use this bill to force men (convicted of violent crimes) into women's prisons -- even those who have used their male bodies to assault and rape female bodies.

So this bill really isn't about protecting women; more like putting women in danger.
edit on 4-4-2019 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Wasn't a problem for 192 years until a jackass named Johnson came along and signed the Gun Control Act in to law.
edit on 4-4-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I think criminals are going to get guns regardless of any law that says they can't........

But you didn't answer the question.... Was he charged w anything

If he was charged for that crime then that's a felony and he can't legally own a gun anyway, so your statement was a moot point

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Well, that sounds "violent" to me, so you obviously did not read, or chose to ignore what I said.

I specifically commented on non violent situations.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I think criminals are going to get guns regardless of any law that says they can't........

We live in an idiocracy.

They ignore inconvenient truths like that.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

That doesn't answer the question.

Do YOU believe that my fiancee's ex should be allowed to own a gun?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Did he serve the time for the crime ?

If so. The debt to society was repaid.

ALL rights should be restored.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So then you had no issue when the Virginia governor restored voting rights to felons?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

www.dailysignal.com...

Exactly........

Hmmmmm

An ahole huh? There's irony in the fact that you're the one calling names.......

The reason you left it out is because you have a vendetta against the NRA and it would have undermined your blatantly bias and completely false narrative of your thread...... Kinda like how you left out my mention of your other thread that accuses the NRA of working w Russia

Otherwise, you should probably be more thorough in your research before making your hit pieces.....

What was the "hmmmmmm" supposed to mean?

I never called you names. I said "some people".

I have no vendetta against the NRA. Read my last sentence in the OP. You are the one who is being a total jerk by turning this into something about transgender. If you want to focus on your love for transgender issues start your own thread.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

a reply to: neo96

So then you had no issue when the Virginia governor restored voting rights to felons?

Voting rights for felons probably helps Democrats more than Republicans.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

That doesn't answer the question.

It doesn't matter what I think.... If he was charged he can't legally own one anyway.....and if he's set on committing gun crime again he will do it whether it was legal for him to have a gun or not... He already proved he would....

And I already answered it, you just didn't like my response

I like how you keep dodging......

Nice attempt at derailment and ignoring the facts tho

Again your point is moot...... Just like the bill

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join