It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I picked up a Hitch Hiker

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay
Oh ya junikies are very lazy people. I would not pick them up, let them walk to get there fix.

Some people have no shame however they will waste a whole hours of your life, so they can get high for 30 minutes or so or however long the high lasts. What a bunch of self serving nonsense that is. There always so committed to get high all the time, but not committed enough to walk there lazy asses there. Because that would be to much work.

You should have just kicked her out, or at least charged her fare, the nerve of some people wasting gas and time like that. Besides as everybody knows, that the path to hell is paved with good intentions. And what you did there? With you good intentions, was just volunteer yourself for a brief time, to be one more small brick in that road she is walking.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I usually wear a hi vis vest when I'm hitching, it seems to help get rides, plus, I don't want to get hit by a car.

I like to think I get picked up because I show I'm smart enough to wear one.

Mind you, I think people can tell when I'm crook, I must look like hell. I get lifts really fast. Pathetic of me, but it makes me feel nice about the locals.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLorax
What is it your hobby or something to hitchhike? Dont answer that question, but depending on were your at, and the phase of the moon and tide of Venus and Jupiter, well hitchhiking with random strangers is not a healthy thing to do, especially if you do it by and to crack houses.

But that could just be a sign of times, I am pretty sure that in the 1940s hitchhiking was just another way to get around and pretty common, though now a days? Not so much.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Nah, my car has been off the road, and the price of fuel is about $1.50 a litre.

So, sometimes I would park my car at the turn off to the highway and hitch to save fuel.

Other times, my car was off the road.

Public transport out this way sux, and walking helped keep me fit (until I got sick).

Once hitched from Russel Island in QLD to Lake Macquarie in NSW (coming back from a wedding).

I've picked up old ladies hitching to the club for Melbourne Cup day celebrations.

I admire the determination of people who just get up and start walking, they don't let the lack of a car stand in their way.

In Australia, if you are walking and hitching you are more likely to get a lift, than if you are just standing by the side of the road.

Aussies don't /didnt like lazy hitchhikers.

I picked up one guy who had been doing the Forrest Gump for five years. For five years he walked around Australia, getting work when he could.
Sleeping in morels if he had money, paddocks if he didn't. Stealing research crops from the CSIRO to eat.

His daughter had been a heroin addict who overdosed. The cops blamed him, and he had a breakdown and left his home and started walking.

He only accepted two lifts in five years. I was one of them.

The other was a truck driver, who found him on The Nulabor Plains(desert), trying to kill himself with dehydration and walking across the desert. Poor soul kept finding bottles of water.

I picked him up at Moree. We talked a lot, stopped at Tamworth for lunch. He helped chose some clothes for me to give to my children.

We stopped again at Scone for a cuppa with a stock trader. He stayed with us for a couple of days, my children were thrilled to meet him, he had great stories.

He decided to go home, to see if he could manage a normal life again, his father was aging.
I took him to the train station, when I got home, I found he had left his blanket. He didn't need it for sleeping rough any more.

I will always feel honoured to have shared the end of Morro's journey and I think of him often.

I have also driven many drunks home, so they don't get hit on the road, mugged or raped.

And I drove a soldier around on ANZAC day, and made sure he got home safe.

I picked up two girls, one had had her fingers partially severed by her boyfriend. Took her to hospital to get the tendons connected.

Took an old lady home from hospital with a broken leg. Had to get her up three stories into her flat.

Plenty of good people don't have transport, plenty of good people pick them up.
edit on 4-4-2019 by TheLorax because: Correction

edit on 4-4-2019 by TheLorax because: Additional information

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There can be a freedom in hitch hiking.

You kind of leaving things in the hands of the fates.

You don't know when or if you will get a lift, you don't know who will pick you up, and what that person will bring into your life, or what you give them.

You use your body and walk (and pick up nice tools left by motorists).

You are not limited by a vehicle and money.

Lots of back packers hitch in Australia.

I even put my Landcriuser on the back of a truck and travelled from Mt Iza to Emerald, 600km. Didn't cost a cent.

No driving and the truck driver for company, lots of good stories from him.

Truckeis are the back bone of Australia.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   

You are terribly judgemental.

Hitch-hiking and boxcar riding are a way these interesting hobo types get around. She is usual "beat" traffic and you are the usual moral high-horse type. I am glad she exists, that there are alternatives to THIS judgemental imagination void robot neuronic response to another human being's life. Why is your life so much better and worth living than hers? To me it isn't, it is just the same. If there is a G-D, according to Jesus every life is worth many sparrows and the rain falls on everyones house the same. Hitler though his life was superior to those who judged inferior. Look what a monster he became because he could not accept that humans are diverse and have weaknesses that define them as much as their strengths. Duterte would admire your reasoning, but I do not.

There are many heroin addicts who are far more intelligent than you will ever be. Drug addicts, alcoholics and all types have created the very language you speak through their writing and made the best movies you watch too. Yes, you peck at thee breadcrumbs they cast for you, be sure of it. Will you ever write anything like William or Jack, like Samuel Taylor or Baudelaire, or Rimbaud? No, you will never be that talented, yet they were all heavy substance users. Many great thinkers and politicians were. You are just judging her because she is a a vulnerable girl who is exposed because she does not have wealth and that is the only measure you are really using related to her worth isn't it. If she were a billionaire's daughter with a fashion house you would be the inferior one, believe it. Yes, there are many very rich people who walk on your ceiling, who make the same lifestyle choices as she has.

So what, she and her friends live that way? Jack kerouac and all the Beats, Allen Ginsberg, et c lived like that. They wrote amazing novels and poetry. William Burroughs was a heroin user until his death as an elderly man. Yes, he lived as long, and longer, than the usual junk food ADDICT who splutters out pollution upon the earth from their cars like a fat ignorant TV ADDICT, killing everything with their ignorant behavior, with jerkers for knees and the judgement of a hypocrite.

I would prefer her company to yours. At least she would not bore me like all this judgemental crap does. Posts like this are the usual dead inside drivel of human hypocrisy.

To the poster who said nothing good walks: I walk everywhere. I do not hitch as I had really bad experiences with drivers when I was young (sexual abuse and threats of violence from insane behind the wheel car seat farters) and used to hitch. I love walking. I am so much more fit than all the fat car drivers my age. They look like death and near future heart attacks, dripping in their grease from McDonald's.

Walking does not hurt nature. Walking keeps you good looking. Seriously, I still have a total slender build because I breathe fresh air through my lungs and walk a few miles each day. All I do is vape cannabis for recreation. That and making music is bliss. I keep all this judgmental crap far at bay as it deeply offends me.

Yep, the woman would inform me ten times better than this trash ever will. What you have written here has been written a billion times over yet there are more of her type than ever before, because of your neglect as a citizen. You don't care about them so what you don't care about begins to fester. Your charity is skin deep. You are one of those nasty CONDITIONAL CHARITY TYPES. Conditional charity is not charity. It is a warped control freak's vanity at work, no more and no less. Well your vanity got taught a stiff lesson this time. Good job too!

Give if you wanna give, but do not expect to be able to play the dictator with those you give to. They will just offend you. Everyone is offensive in some degree. Where does the offense end? It ends with our own ability to control our pin minded judgemental natures. Give anyway if you wanna give, don't if you expect preconditions to be met. That stinks as you have no moral superiority to be casting the first stone.

The famous William Burroughs, author of "Naked Lunch" and many more amazing writings. By his side is a very rich American lady who is very famous, but I will leave it to you to recognise her. Mr Burroughs was all his adult life a heroin user. He lived until the age of 83, yes 83! If I had picked up William hitch-hiking I would be blessed with such a memory, no matter his vices that are not my business anyway. Controlling other people and making them conform to our own morality is the behavior of a FASCIST! Be sure of that.

I'd rather be "hip" than a "hypocrite"!

edit on 4-4-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLorax

My daughter and I picked up a mentally disabled women at an intersection (she was wandering back and forth), her pants were broken (raped?) I though she wanted to go to her dads house.

Took her to the flats, dropped her off, and my daughter says "mum, why did you take her to buy drugs?.....

If I were you, I'd be more concerned that my daughter knew where to buy drugs...

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: MRinder

Don't be discouraged. You did a good thing. She may have misused your kindness, but it doesn't negate that you went out of the way to help. You can't control what she chooses to do and if she does od it was her own actions and choices that led to that, but you still went out of your way to help a fellow human and you should never feel bad about that.

I wouldn't call it helping as much as I'd call it enabling. The OP got duped and put her own life at risk to help a junky get a fix. The OP could've been robbed or worse. You have to pick and choose who you be kind to, you can't just be kind to everybody without any idea of the type of character they are.

OP, glad you didn't get mugged by junkies, you learned a valuable lesson. Pick and choose your kindness.

Unfortunately, people don't wear signs that tell people if they're trustworthy or not. I think what she did was an extremely kind thing, with a bad ending.
I've picked up hitchhikers many times after watching people blast right by them. The usual story is car broke down. A couple times the guy was walking carrying a gas can! No one stopped. I don't think we should be wary of everyone, I think that is what's wrong with society. Too much fear.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Some advice, if you see people doing odd things like asking for gas money in a Walmart parking lot saying they are from another city/town and their kids in the hospital in your city or town and they need gas to get back home, or hitchhiking, or sitting outside of a gas station or Walgreens watching ppl don't help them. Its all drug addicts.

Like a few months ago there were 4 ppl at Walmart parking lot, one guy was on the ground another trying to give CPR and two ladies freaking out, a nurse went over to help and found out very quickly they guy giving CPR was doing all wrong and the dude on the ground was breathing and was ODing. The CPR guy would not listen to the nurse telling him that we was going to break this guys chest if he did not stop. She just walked off.

I have had ppl come up to me and try to befriend me at Walmart or even try to talk to me kids saying I have a hat like that or I like that shirt, I just keep walking and don't even acknowledge them or just all them out and say I don't have any drug money for you. They get a offended but then attach to another person walking in that make eye contact.

I have had experience we drug addicts, I believe they will do anything and say anything to get money for that fix. Its sad and most don't want to get better.

So if they look sketchy then they are sketchy. Avoid.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

What??
Horseplay wanted to help another human out and that person took advantage of her.
We are all the same in God's eyes, but our actions define us. Ever heard that God loves you but hates your sin. Basically, you have just indorsed and tried to justify drug addiction. Also, horseplay was assuming it was heroin (since the lady’s kid died of it) but more than likely it was Oxys, rocks, or some other synthetics.
I am glad you hold literary authors in high regards, but I am sure the ones you cited were not bumming rides to the meth house.
Boxcar riding……. what decade do you even live in? send me a telegraph when they find Amelia Earhart.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You were not "used." No reason to feel guilt.

Anyone bent on destroying their life will succeed--and there's very little anyone can do about it. All you did here is show your compassion for a fellow human, and that is never ever a bad thing.

If more people were like you are, the world would be a much better place.

Edited: Pay no attention to Malak777. He/she calls you judgmental--and at the same time he/she calls you a hypocrite and doesn't even know you. That's a rock solid example of being judgmental. Go trolling in a lake, Malak777--you'll probably have better luck there.

edit on 4-4-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: Because there are trolls

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I got anxiety just reading the title!

Be safe!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Wow, what are you talking about? Calm down. OP never said anything disparaging about her hitcher.I believe OP was relating the feeling of being used. Anyone who knows addicts knows that this is the feeling all addicts leave upon people they touch. Everyone deals with it in a different way. Some would argue that your apologists' viewpoint on addiction had created the societal tendency to allow addicts to "use" their own existence away.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Ha Ha !
Nowadays I'm very content with my bottle of Smirnoff .

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Controlling other people and making them conform to our own morality is the behavior of a FASCIST

In any case, she tried doing some junkie a favor that ended up passing out and taking advantage of her kindness.

Calling that poor behavior out is not fascist it is called being decent
edit on 4/4/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

wow, that was brutal. I don't know where you got all that from.
I picked up a girl on a country road. And drove her all the way to the city.

I felt like a simple thank you from her for my time and gas would have been nice.

I never said I was better than her and I felt sorry for her to be under the control of a drug in such a way. If that's the way she chooses to live her life, so be it.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay
a reply to: MisterSpock

Ha Ha !
Nowadays I'm very content with my bottle of Smirnoff .

Don’t let one junkie ruin your sweet nature.

I have picked people up all my life.

Met some incredible people and some losers.

Just be careful, don’t change.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

"Ass, gas, or grass... nobody rides for free" is a good rule of life, I've found. No good deed goes unpunished and the road to hell is truly paved with good intentions. Be thankful she didn't jack you like most tweakers are prone to do and don't ever make the mistake of letting your heart override your brain again. Just drive on past unless they're buying you a tank of gas.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Decries judgemental people... then proceeds to judge the OP and anyone else with enough dignity to not live their life with a goddamned needle hanging out of their arm. LOL... Hilarious!

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thank you, Burdman. !
I've been bothered today more by Malak777's comments than I was by the incident. That's just the way I am.
I tried. I'm just glad she didn't die in my care. I really do feel for people like her. Around here, fentenol (SP?) is taking so many lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join