It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I picked up a Hitch Hiker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm really disturbed by what i did today. I feel terribly used. I just need to vent i think.
I'm a woman. I saw a woman hitch hiking and I fell for it.
I picked her up, thinking I'd take her to milford about 20 minutes away. even though it was out of my way. by like 20 minutes.
She was super friendly and chatty. overly so.
We chatted it up. she cried about her son dieing of a heroin overdose 2 years ago today.
I tried to comfort her. She wanted a ride to her friends house. I fell for it.
We drove. and drove. turned out the friends house was 45 minutes away in the city.
About 30 minutes in, she started yawning. next thing I know she's fricking nodding off. I'm thinking sh!t she's a heroin junky and she's dieing in my car. I started to take an exit because I knew there was a fire station there. I mean, I'm freaking out. She comes to, says, oh it's just a little further.
So I went on. Her half nodded off, me freaking out. she would come to enough to give me directions.
Eventually we got to her 'friends' house. Which was an obvious drug house. lots of traffic. In a very bad neighborhood. She stumbled out of my car without saying anything other than ok, i have to pee. Not so much as a thank you.

I feel soooo stupid. I feel so used.
I'm never ever picking up anyone again.
I hope she gets help.
I tried, but I inadvertently took her to maybe her demise.
I just feel so used. And incredibly stupid.

Lesson learned I guess. It doesn't pay to be nice nowadays.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

its 2019 my friend

cant be picking up hitchers

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I've never found anything worth while from a woman walking, or anybody for that matter.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Don't be discouraged. You did a good thing. She may have misused your kindness, but it doesn't negate that you went out of the way to help. You can't control what she chooses to do and if she does od it was her own actions and choices that led to that, but you still went out of your way to help a fellow human and you should never feel bad about that.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Don't be discouraged. You did a good thing. She may have misused your kindness, but it doesn't negate that you went out of the way to help. You can't control what she chooses to do and if she does od it was her own actions and choices that led to that, but you still went out of your way to help a fellow human and you should never feel bad about that.

I wouldn't call it helping as much as I'd call it enabling. The OP got duped and put her own life at risk to help a junky get a fix. The OP could've been robbed or worse. You have to pick and choose who you be kind to, you can't just be kind to everybody without any idea of the type of character they are.

OP, glad you didn't get mugged by junkies, you learned a valuable lesson. Pick and choose your kindness.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Don't do that anymore. You have a sweet nature don't waste it on strangers.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I'm happy you lived.

Don't do that anymore.

Seriously.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

People like that make it difficult to follow our natural inclination to help others. I often want to give that extra dollar in my wallet to the panhandler, but then I think I am just being a sucker.

I am sorry you experienced that today.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

In this day and age that is an extremely risky thing to do. You could have got killed or ended up in the hands of human traffickers or God knows what. Please don't do that again. I'm glad that you are safe.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

When i was about 18, i lived in a sketchy apt. Complex. I didn’t really know that before i moved in. My neighbor was a really sweet older black lady who loved to talk my ear off and “borrow” food from time to time. One night she knocked on my door very upset. She said she needed a ride to her cousin’s house to get her insulin. I, of course, was happy to oblige. We ended up in the projects pretty quick. Which wasn’t really a surprise. I knew she wasn’t well off and most of the black folk around here at that time lived in that area. So, we stopped in front of a house and she got out and went inside. A fella walking on the street came up to my window and asked what i was doing. I ran through the story real quick and he started laughing and told me i should get the hell outta there as fast as i could. I didn’t. I waited for my neighbor to return, like a good little boyscout, and we took off at a normal speed down the road. A police car came up behind me doing about 100mph blue lights on, so i pulled over. Luckily, he believed me. She went to jail, and i was let go with a stern warning from the officer to not let “those people” trick me into driving them to crack houses any more.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I know. I haven't given anyone a ride for decades. I screwed up

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have yet not to stop and ask if someone needs a ride . Although I live in an area in Georgia where there is not a lot of "stuff" going on .
You may have saved this person's life or prevented something bad happening to them .
Or , the delay was MEANT to save you from something bad.
Be thankful that everything turned out ok.
A life lesson learned perhaps by the both of you.
Ya never know....

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay
a reply to: TinySickTears

I know. I haven't given anyone a ride for decades. I screwed up

sucks it has to be that way but it is that way

the risk is too great

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

You both are right. I'm too nice sometimes. She took advantage of it.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's really nice that you tried to help someone out, but in todays climate there are some things that a person should just not do if they want to insure their own safety, and picking up a hitchhiker is one of those things a person shouldn't do.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
People turn up missing or dead doing that kind of thing. Don't press your luck again.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

oh hell.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I would have messed with her. Once at the stop she suggested I would keep going and then start saying insane things that had nothing to do with anything. Probably drive a mile or so and let her out and tell her to get some exercise.

Then again I am a pretty large guy and well I could probably get away with it. Plus I am always armed in my auto. IF I do not have a gun - well I know - I know I got a knife....

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I used to say everything happens for a reason.
At first I thought maybe I could say something to help her.
Life lesson learned. 56 years isn't enough I guess.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

we are all glad you are ok! get a thing with an alarm on it you just pull the pin......posting your story, someone may read and think twice and you may have saved them from injury or something worse

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join