It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Tourist Kidnapped At Gunpoint In Uganda Wildlife Park

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
www.huffpost.com...

An American woman and her driver have been kidnapped and held for ransom by gunmen in Uganda’s most popular wildlife park, local authorities said Wednesday

The woman, identified as 35-year-old Kimberley Sue Endecott, was traveling among a group of four people in Queen Elizabeth National Park on Tuesday when their vehicle was stopped by four gunmen, police said in a statement. The woman and driver, identified as Jean Paul, were taken hostage and the woman’s phone was later used to demand a $500,000 ransom. The two remaining victims, described as an elderly couple, were left behind and able to call for help

All exits between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which is located along the park’s border, have been closed in an attempt to block the suspects’ escape, authorities said.

craziness man
i could not imagine being on vacation somewhere and then being snatched up.

there are so many places i would love to see but they carry a heavy risk

sometimes best not to go

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTearsHas Joseph kony returned?? He gathered up a few merry men after having his terrorist group dismantled and running off into hiding.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
What?

You mean to tell me Africa is not a safe tourist destination?

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Bunch of places in Africa I would love to visit...but the risk isn't worth it.

Blows my mind that people still head to these places considering the enormous risk they hold.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

A friend of mine was in Uganda on business about 6 months ago.

Her company sent her with a team of 4 bodyguards and a driver.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Bunch of places in Africa I would love to visit...but the risk isn't worth it.

Blows my mind that people still head to these places considering the enormous risk they hold.

same

i want to see iran something fierce but i aint #ing going

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't travel to some of the worst cities in the US, let alone outside the country.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand what some people are thinking. Sure, because of my attitude I'll never "see the world" but I also won't end up chopped up in a ditch in some #hole somewhere.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Right?

My friends niece took off down to Rosarito Mexico for some beach festival similar to Burning Man or some sh#, and I said, 'Do really think that was a good idea?' He said they weren't that concerned. I'm thinking HOW could you not be?!

I hope, for her sake, she makes it home safely.

It just isn't worth it.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The reality is that it’s a low risk in most countries there within reason. You have to be smart and cautious, but still. These types of stories will stand out. You can find such stories across the world. None of the people I know who work, travel in, or are from Africa have had that happen.

Obviously certain war zones and recent post conflict locations should be avoided. That’s true elsewhere.
a reply to: Irishhaf

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You guys gotta get out more. Some parts of Mexico are very dangerous, not all. For example Acapulco is very dangerous now days. So is the northwest.

Mexico City is wonderful, as are the surrounding colonial towns.

One most research where they are going and not be naive, taking proper precautions, but one also can’t be terrified of leaving the country.

a reply to: EternalShadow

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Are you being serious?

You are missing out on amazing places across the world. I’d never trade my travels abroad. Also, for many people it accelerates their learning, questioning of things like media and gov, etc.
a reply to: MisterSpock

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

No one said anything about fearing to leave ones country.

IMO, it just wasn't a good idea on her part.

Mexico is waaaaay too corrupt, unstable and unpredictable to be skipping, carefree through their countryside as a foreigner.

Don't get me started on Brazil either..

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

No kidding.

Tourist and Uganda are two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That's what she gets for going on vacation there. I wouldn't be foolish enough to go there alone and have a driver. Everyone hop in this jeep, we're going to explore remote indigenous blek people safari land where there's little law and people are poor.

I remember this story a few years back. Some guy with his wife or girlfriend went to Mexico for vacation or were just over the border for the day to chill and were jet skiing when either he or both of them never came back, I believe it was just the guy but not certain. If only the man came back we'd all suspect murder but since only the woman came back, the prevailing thought is that he was killed by cartel men for going into the wrong area or crossing paths with them.

White tourists are targets. A black or hispanic national might be from a government less apt to pay a ransom or be able to plus white tourists obviously have a lot of money but most importantly connections with money.

It's wrong, unfair, and in a perfect world shouldn't happen but accept it. Won't change anytime soon in certain countries so consider reality instead of money fueled quixotic adventures in dangerous places just because you "should be able to". Perhaps you might think God or Jesus is protecting you but hey, if you go, it's your choice.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

No one said anything about fearing to leave ones country.

IMO, it just wasn't a good idea on her part.

Mexico is waaaaay too corrupt, unstable and unpredictable to be skipping, carefree through their countryside as a foreigner.

Don't get me started on Brazil either..

Actually one post did. Did you not read my multiple posts about having to research and be cautious? It’s almost as if you haven’t read my posts and others.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.huffpost.com...

i could not imagine being on vacation somewhere and then being snatched up.

there are so many places i would love to see but they carry a heavy risk

sometimes best not to go

This statement proves you have more common sense than those who get kidnapped just because they're American.

I'd love to see some cheetah chase down some prey, jump on top of the tour vehicle, and run off in all its glory. However, I'd rather be sure my next 3 months of life weren't spent in captivity being tortured, starved, beaten, and eventually killed because I was stupid enough to go somewhere where an American shoudn't.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   

You're probably right, who knows.

Still doesn't change my opinion on traveling to Mexico.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I wouldn't travel to some of the worst cities in the US, let alone outside the country.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand what some people are thinking. Sure, because of my attitude I'll never "see the world" but I also won't end up chopped up in a ditch in some #hole somewhere.

That statement above basically sums up the viewpoint of many of the people on this website to be honest and I am not saying it is wrong but I do not share it.

I have never left the country yet but I want to fiercely and have my first trip planned soon. You literally just perpetrate your own bubble your entire existence without travel and that is cool if you want a life without those experiences but some people do and see the risk as valid.

While I've yet to travel abroad due to monetary reasons/means - I have lived in several areas of this country and I always always always explore around.

I spent a day driving around MLK Jr. Blvd in Mobile, AL solo as a 21 year old white guy just to check out the area of town solely because I heard it was sketchy. I was literally the only white guy in an entire grocery store Piggly Wiggly I went into for a piss and a snack.

It was #ing surreal not going to lie! I literally then proceeded saw a dead/unconcious guy on the sidewalk with cops just casually talking into their radio looking onwards right outside! That was terrifying.

But guess what? I was fine - unharmed just irrational and that experience shed some light into how a fellow human being for example a minority walking into a shop or a town and finding themselves the only non white person present could feel.

Potentially everyday depending solely on where they live.

The same fact swings the other way and also goes true for myself in another area! But in my opinion, it is all about getting those experiences and taking those chances. The example I gave is only one.

I try to seek crap out that makes me uncomfortable initially all the time when I can. What else is life for?

Then again - I can totally appreciate just not having those desires and being satisfied with living one's life sheltered.

That being said - you dont need to cheer the kidnapping. Could just be like, wow that blows hope the military rescues her!

Sucks to suck even? I guess it's just the appearance of cheering which seems inappropriate.

Our office regularly sends folks to Nigeria on business, to my knowledge without any 'bodygaurds.' I'd hate to see something like this happen to one of them but I've also never even heard it raised as anyone's concern at this time.

One off is my point I suppose. Not one off but risk v. Reward?

ETA: Literally all of the above being said, I would not travel to Uganda alone let alone probably anywhere in Africa and also some other countries in Asia plus SE Asia and of course SA.

Thinking again here I can totally appreciate foreign countries being riskier in general outside of those English speaking for the most part solely for the language barrier can also admit.
edit on 4-4-2019 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Life is a risk, some risks are worth the reward, you just have to weigh up how much risk your willing to trade for adventure. I would rather die having fun and exploring than sit at home watching other people live life on the TV . Each to their own I guess.
edit on 4-4-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join