It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JOKER - teaser trailer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I think DC is winning by virtue of The Dark Knight trilogy. That isn't just the best comic film ever, but one of the greatest films period and trumps all MCU films combined. But outside of Christopher Nolan's genius, they've pretty much shat the bed, so you may be right about this upcoming film.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Are you being biased captain?

Remember that was just a clown getting kicked about off low level thugs, the joker was slowly coming to the surface, or the evil trickster archetype.... once that persona takes over his psyche he is a different animal.
edit on 3-4-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Yeah his performance in gladiator pips ledgers joker performance, I hated him as an everything after that movie, he effected the Audience

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I think DC is winning by virtue of The Dark Knight trilogy.

As awesome as that trilogy was, I can't agree. While there have been some misses in the MCU, they've put out more than 3 movies which are in the running for best superhero movie of all time. Winter Soldier, Avengers 1, both Guardian Movies, Ragnarok, Civil War, and Infinity War are all on par with Dark Knight, IMO.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManyMasks

Are you being biased captain?

Not really. Comic book wise, I actually have always preferred DC. Animation wise, there's no contest... Killing Joke (yeah, I know the PC mafia despised this one, but it was stellar in many ways), Under the Red Hood, Batman Beyond, and Mask of the Phantasm are all head and shoulders above anything Marvel has animated prior to the Spider-Verse. Live action DC, though, has just failed too many times for me to view it positively. Where this Joker movie specifically is concerned, they're taking an iconic (the most iconic?) villain in comic book history and mutating him into something that strikes me as being the antithesis of the character. To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of the Joker as portrayed in Suicide Squad, either... but at least he wasn't contextually in disagreement with the traditional nature of the character. The Phoenix Joker, though, just seems too wilting and weak from the trailer for me to find it agreeable with my expectations of the Joker. There's a difference between criminally insane and mentally broken. This trailer looks like someone who is mentally broken, not brilliantly evil and tightrope walking the line between pretending to be stupidly insane for effect and literally being insane and out of control.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

The only reason I would pick The Dark Knight over those films you mentioned is because to me, it transcended the "comic book" genre. There was no doubt you were in a Marvel universe when watching the Avengers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but TDK felt bigger than the world it existed in. Maybe that can be attributed to Nolan.

The Dark Knight revolutionized the industry when it was first released. And to be fair to the Avengers, it is having a similar effect, just in a slightly different way.

Both are great films and I guess it boils down to preference. Great debate either way.

And maybe me saying it trumps all MCU films combined was a stretch now that I think of it, because there are many great MCU films.

I actually think Spider-man and Spider-man 2 could both make the argument of best Marvel film.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The Joker is one of my favorite comic characters of all time. This movie looks good and bad all at the same time. After watching that trailer I came to the same conclusion that I did with the Resident Evil movies. It would be good if it was a standalone movie not at all tied to the Joker. Since it is tied to my favorite iconic character I can't help but not like it. I understand that it's a new take on him, but I'm getting sick and tired of everyone's takes on iconic characters. Everything that already has all the wonder and imagination already fleshed out keeps getting changed for no other reason than someone thinks they can do it better.

If it wasn't done right in the first place then it wouldn't be iconic.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

That's fair. I sort of hate how comic book movies have gotten so pigeonholed to the point that, for example, Logan created such a buzz. It wasn't a bad movie, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the excitement over it was sort of centered around "OMG, they're making a comic book movie R rated!!!" which I find to be a fairly juvenile reason to be excited over a movie. Deadpool seems to have rectified that, with Ryan Reynolds seeing to it that the R rating was just a natural byproduct of the character rather than something tacked on by the writing and directing team to generate more interest in the movie. DC would benefit from going in that same direction... The Killing Joke, for instance, would make one hell of a live action, storyline driven R rated movie if done right. (and by "done right" I mean maybe James Franco or Tom Hiddleston as the Joker and pull the switch on Benedict Cumberbatch finally playing the Batman.)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

James Franco as the Joker is definitely intriguing. If only he wasn't already the Green Goblin. Same goes for Loki and Dr.Strange.

But that is deadly trio no doubt.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

hahahahahah

split lip

remember back in the day when he was credited as leaf phoenix?

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

he cant be joker cause he was green goblin?

chris evans has played 3heroes so why not

torch
captain america
some character from push

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Leaf, River, Rain.. pretty cool family names.

he cant be joker cause he was green goblin?

Of course he can, I was only joking. Green Goblin was a long, long time ago..

I think it may be too soon for Loki and Dr.Strange though.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

summer is the only phoenix that matters

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Affleck is a lucky man.

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

hahahahahah

split lip

I've read that, but didn't see any of the movies he did in those years. Considering his siblings names are/(were in the case of at least one) River, Rain, Liberty, and Summer he probably felt like the black sheep as a kid, having the only semi normal birth name of the bunch. WTF were the parents smoking, what kind of spirit walk smokehouse journey did those two take when naming their offspring? I mean, I think Rain's full name is actually Rain Joan of Arc Phoenix... why not just name your children "Therapist's New Porsche Phoenix, Psychiatrist Kid's College Tuition Phoenix, Ass Whipped Daily in High School Phoenix, I Cut Myself Phoenix, and I'll Fix my Embarrassment With an Eating Disorder Phoenix" and be done with it?

link   

James Franco as the Joker is definitely intriguing.

I'll definitely admit that I don't know enough modern actors to actually have a good idea of who I feel would be a good Joker, but I only have one thing to say in regards to this comment.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Leaf, River, Rain.. pretty cool family names.

...Only if they were conceived in the back of a microbus at Woodstock, I'd assume.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Affleck is a lucky man.

Because he ended up having to pay spousal and child support following her filing for divorce?
www.thecut.com...

Hmmmm

and is requesting spousal support and joint physical and legal custody of her and Affleck’s two children, 13-year-old Indiana and 9-year-old Atticus.

HOLY SNIP!!! I wonder...
celebrityxyz.com...

sons:
Indigo Orion Phoenix-Asch
Leo Lord Phoenix
Rio Julio Miguel Asch Phoenix
daughters:
Emily Lord Phoenix
Scarlette Jasmine Phoenix Asch

It seems the Phoenix genetic code contains some manner of ridiculous naming gene that, more often than not, rears it's ridiculous head.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Maybe I'm a hipster then, because I think those names are pretty cool.

Not sure I'd be bold enough to name my children that, but I can definitely respect them for doing so, considering their family name.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

In a sick way, I've always wanted to see Cage as Joker:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join