It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bonnie and Clyde not really a Robin hood story. The more things change the more they stay the same

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I recently watched the movie The Highwaymen. It is about the Texas Rangers that went after and successfully killed Bonnie and Clyde.
Good entertaining movie and the only one I could stand Costner in. (he's gotten better with age)

I began to read up about the two and about the rangers. I happen to love the depression era and read about it a lot during my free time.
If you really want to learn about survival, read up on the depression.

I actually think Bonnie and Clyde have been incorrectly portrayed in hollywood. If you really read about them, they were not so much robin hood types, as much as they were for Prison reform and revenge on authorities. The more you read about it the more you will see they were not so much the hardened criminals people made them out to be, and were blamed for a lot crimes that obviously didn't commit. I do not think they were innocent per say, but the glamourization of the time and their young love story turned it into something else.

www.biography.com...

On March 11, 1930, Clyde used the weapon to escape with his cellmates, but they were captured a week later. Clyde was then sentenced to 14 years of hard labor, eventually being transferred to Eastham State Farm, where he was repeatedly sexually assaulted by another inmate.

I guess it's just not the same glamourous story if it reads as, Bonnie & Clyde, went on rampage for continual prison rape & revenge on authorities.

It is also weird to think that this kind of stuff is still happening today. I'm all for bad people being punished. What is happening with a lot of prisons today is something else and not what I consider justice. I think you could even call it modern day slavery. Clyde, saw this during his time too. He didn't want to work the fields so he chopped off his big toes.

edit on 3-4-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The story of Billy the Kid is another one which Hollywood has embellished so horrifically, the real William Bonney barely even resembles any part of their narrative. It's what Hollywood does, I guess.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The story of Billy the Kid is another one which Hollywood has embellished so horrifically, the real William Bonney barely even resembles any part of their narrative. It's what Hollywood does, I guess.

True...just look at how Trump is portrayed.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Watch the BBC docu: The Three Lives of William Wallace
perfect example how twisted the facts can get
1.- Historical records is the first
2.- Medieval minstrels sang a more glorified/heroic/feats William Wallace
3.- Hollywood took the medieval minstrels feats and multiplied by 10

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I really enjoyed it, they filmed a lot of this in the little one horse town I grew up in , in Texas....was pretty cool, and mom was excited to get to meet Costner lol.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
I really enjoyed it, they filmed a lot of this in the little one horse town I grew up in , in Texas....was pretty cool, and mom was excited to get to meet Costner lol.

How cool for your mom.

Man, those Texas Rangers, those are some hard men. I love how they were portrayed in the movie. I'm sure real life is even worse.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Depression times were tough on everyone.

I remember seeing a "tramp chair" that many small towns would have. It was a hard upright chair with lots of nubby projections all over it. They'd strap a tramp down on it and leave him there overnight and then let him go in the morning. It was a way of making sure he'd never come back to town.

I once had an MRI done, and there was a nubby projection on the table. The nurse got me laid out on the table wrong so this projection was sticking up into my shoulder blade. It took about 10 minutes before I was in serious pain, and if you've ever had an MRI, you know you absolutely cannot move or they have to redo the test. So I had to voluntarily lay there with this nub causing my shoulder to endlessly spasm for the next 15 minutes. I had tears running down my face when it was over.

Now, these tramps would have been stuck in the chair and forced to endure that all night! Imagine how they felt ...

My point is that this was just for small-time loitering. Prison conditions back then would have been magnitudes worse for various reasons many linked to economic factors both for inmates and for prison upkeep. Then you had Prohibition inflating the inmate count too.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Hollywood does tend to overly romanticise historical villians.
It was the depression and banks were seen as the enemy foreclosing and evicting families from their homes so Bonnie & Clyde became heroes to a large part of the population for bringing some pain back to the banks. They were definitely not Robin Hoods but their fans turned a blind eye to the violence - following their exploits made for interesting reading in dark times.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

How cool for your mom.

Man, those Texas Rangers, those are some hard men. I love how they were portrayed in the movie. I'm sure real life is even worse.

Yeah you dont really fk with Texas Rangers, and even still today, if they are called in, you know youre done........I dont think there are many left tho, I think they only keep a staff of about 160 anymore.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

How cool for your mom.

Yeah you dont really fk with Texas Rangers, and even still today, if they are called in, you know youre done........I dont think there are many left tho, I think they only keep a staff of about 160 anymore.

Out of the 160 there are somewhere between 116 and 134 commissioned actual Texas rangers. The rest are support personnel .. Back in 1983 we had 131 if I remember correctly.. I met a couple from flying the head of the Texas prison board around... they still wore Stetsons (cowboy hats) cowboy boots and carried a belt hung 1911 .45 pistol.. I never got to target practice with any of them but unlike your normal cop I always figured they could actually shoot and hit what they were aiming at.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

What else is new?,you turn on the TV set the stories your told are fiction at best,to a media minion story holds"Never let the truth get ion the way of a good story"

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Watch the BBC docu: The Three Lives of William Wallace
perfect example how twisted the facts can get
1.- Historical records is the first
2.- Medieval minstrels sang a more glorified/heroic/feats William Wallace
3.- Hollywood took the medieval minstrels feats and multiplied by 10

Isn't that the Mel Gibson effect? So little in the film he made about Wallace is historically accurate and yet so many believe it is factual. The passion of Christ I believe is quite stunning, but at the same time seems to be riddled with his agenda (possibly his fathers really) to attack certain factors of Judaism make it hard to fully appreciate.

Bonnie and Clyde were small town crooks who got lucky to an extent before the inevitable happened. Dillenger at least had a little more style about him, but ultimately was still nothing but a crook who due to the hardships of the depression seemed to hold some fascination with the public who saw him as more of a Robin Hood figure more for who (allegedly) he didn't steal from.

It's a little like the glorification of the Krays in the UK.

top topics

join