It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student arrested for threatening school with zombie invasion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
yeah this is some bull#

zerointelligence.net...

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

William Poole, a junior at George Rogers Clark High School, was arrested Tuesday for making terroristic threats against his school.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.
The short story did not mention Poole's school, any teachers, the principal or any cops, officials or students.

His bail was raised from one to five thousand dollars at the request of prosecutors because of the "seriousness of the crime".

There is no mention of the school itself being involved here. This madness seems to be 100% from the police.

Winchester Government contact information:
Mayor Dodd Dixon
Chief of Police W.M.Jackson II - Phone: 1-859-745-7400, Fax: 1-859-745-7404

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Schools these days are starting to remind me of communism. Say anything bad about it and you'll be arrested. I mean come on the paranoya in schools these days is unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
you know I was kinda impartial to the idea of home schooling but now its looking like a more atractive option to consider.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
When creative fiction becomes a felony and every literary effort is placed into a mold of that mind controlled Columbine episode, the end is a population that can never take any risk in any way. The state of Kentucky is obvious looking at color of law, not at the facts related to law. Presumably they want this to stand as case law for their zero tolerance policy, one that intends among other things to produce forced drugging of stooges for the pharmaceutical cartels having absolute power and control. In this instance suppose one was writing notes about Shakespeare, and it was misunderstood? There is a great deal of violence there, not to mention in almost every video game kids are playing in 3D realism today. So when a kid wants to branch out into creative writing within a recognized theme such as the genre of the movie "Night of the Living Dead," then the PC thought police get busy with their descent into total idiocy. Obviously they only hire people who have not read novels or any book of serious depth on real life, for a number of years.

We are fast approaching a time when anything and everything is illegal, and will transport you into a foul system that pretends to help people. It is events like this that portend near unequivocally for a vote of no confidence in our system that is overstuffed with laws and rules, and so short of immediate common sense as to continue a mindless march into total absurdity. Presumably when that vote of no confidence takes place, our dumbed down system will twiddle its thumbs at the fraudulant voting machines used to conduct it.

I am afraid the topic the kid is writing about might be the adult officials are taken to be "zombies," and you know I think he is closer to the truth than anyone can imagine with his current legal troubles.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Man thats just plain ridiculous... not only is this kid been arrested for some stupid percieved crime.... then the bail was raised by 500% because of the 'seriousness of the threat??' come on!

I am sooo glad i dont live in the USA... you know the 'land of the free', where your free to write a story and be arrested for terorristic threats.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Um, the school isn't involved, if you read it, you would know it was all the police. The school wasn't informed by granny and grampy, the police were, and thats how this started. The SCHOOL DID?HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! Read people, all of it, and learn.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I swear if I was this kid's parents I would sue the living # out of the Police Dept., The state of kentucky, hell everyone and their mother for this!For god's sakes the kid wrote a story about zombies?!?!?! I mean WTF is going on in this stupid fekking country!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
When I was in high scool, I wrote a long story about the same thing. our high school had cemetaries on two sides of it, and a large gravel pit in the back. My story was about the dead coming to life and overrunning the school. Boy am I glad terrorist laws didn't exist then...not only did I name the school, but teachers, classmates, etc, etc.

I got an A on it if I remember correctly.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Something Doesn't Add Up Here

From the source article:
The short story did not mention Poole's school, any teachers, the principal or any cops, officials or students.

Unless Kentucky law is very unique in this regard, in order for a threat to be considered a threat, somone has to be threatened.

The story indicates that no one was threatened.

So either:

1. The story is false or misleading, and there's more to this case than what is presented here, or

2. William Poole was wrongfully arrested, or

3. Kentucky law provides for felony prosecution for writing violent fiction stories involving schools.

Telling Stories Out Of School

In regards to the last possibility, I find this quote interesting:

From the source article:
Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

So would writing a story like Carrie in Kentucky have landed Stephen King in prison? The article and this quote seem to suggest as much, but again, I'm skeptical.

There would be ample basis for an appeal on constitutional grounds if this were really true.

Whatever the case, something's fishy about this story, and I advise skepticism unless and until a clearer picture emerges.

The only thing that seems certain in this case is the fact that William Poole certainly has something to write about now.

And for those seeing this as a chance to air frustrations against the horrors of school, I'll echo James the Lesser's point that nothing in the source article indicates that William Poole's school had anything to with with any of this.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
On a good note, more people are gonna end up reading this story than the kid probably though...if they release it that is. I for one would love to read it. The kid should charge people to publish it.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What shocks me most about this is his grandparents turned him in!!!

Didn't they even ask him about it first? Get his version of events? Either there's more to this story than is being let on for both the grandparents and the police to get their knickers in a twist about this or the grannies are a pair of rats!

Wow! For both parties to be so sensitive about this there must be more to this than zombies, but for the police to say this:

What the hell? Is this true? So if I wrote a story about a UFO blowing up a school or government building it's a felony? Fiction is a felony? People are being arrested for their thoughts now, they're being arrested BEFORE they've actually done anything.

Welcome to facism people...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I turned in this story once. It was partially about shooting the president. My english teacher thought it was good, and considers me one of the best writers in the entire grade. I did not say that I was going to assassinate the president. I showed that story to my grandfather and he liked it. I highly doubt that William Poole actually wrote "I am going to send zombies to invade the school." Anyways, the fact that the story was about zombies caused me to think that it was no threat. No one seriously would threaten with zombies unless they could prove that they could control zombies.

I am going to write a story about zombies attacking my school, and read it aloud in the lunchroom on Monday, just to defy this insanity.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Something Doesn't Add Up Here

Telling Stories Out Of School

So would writing a story like Carrie in Kentucky have landed Stephen King in prison? The article and this quote seem to suggest as much, but again, I'm skeptical.

There would be ample basis for an appeal on constitutional grounds if this were really true.

Whatever the case, something's fishy about this story, and I advise skepticism unless and until a clearer picture emerges.

And for those seeing this as a chance to air frustrations against the horrors of school, I'll echo James the Lesser's point that nothing in the source article indicates that William Poole's school had anything to with with any of this.

Several very good points in the quote above. This kid should appeal all the way to the SCOTUS.

And although the school was not involved, it would be a nice gesture if they gave a public show of support for this kid.

I have half a notion to drop a copy of this off under Mr. King's gate...he'd be very interested, I think.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
As in everything else, there appears to be two different versions to this story.

William Poole, 18, of 426 E. Broadway, was arrested at GRCHS Tuesday. Acting on a tip from a family member, police reported that he was attempting to "recruit a gang to take over the school," according to Detective Berl Perdue.

The threat involved the use of weapons, according to Purdue. "He didn't have a gang, but he was attempting to organize one," he said. Purdue added that no threat was made against a specific individual.

GRCHS Principal John Atkins said he could not comment on whether Poole has been in disciplinary trouble at the school due to confidentiality reasons. He did comment that, "I know him."

Police recovered writings in which Poole allegedly attempted to convince other students to participate in an armed takeover.

www.winchestersun.com...

The above does not suggest thatthis was some kids short story for English class.

The police in this case are not total idiots. They aren't going to arrest someone for a short story. On the other hand, if what is claimed is true, then they had every right to arrest this kid.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It seems to me unbelieveable how the school could have nothing do with it and yet the cops blow it out of proportion.

I would go crazy if I was this kid. I have written a lot of stories at school that could be taken this way, and I go to a christian school!

Sounds like another story of cops out of hand to me.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by sambo5us]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I sit this one out and reserve my meaning for later, at first one would expect the south shall not rise for a long time to come if you can get arrested on zombiecharges, they could have locked up michael jackson in the 80'ts!

But on the other hand, the zombie could be a metaphore for gangmembers under his mental control....

We would really have to look at the dudes disciplanery history on school / fammily / medicines / mental illnesses etc (not to mention the mental state of grandparents that sold him out).

Police either makes an incredible smart pre-emptive move or are bunch of paranoid cowdung, let's gather some more facts as they come in.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Did anyone bother to read my post?

He wasn't arrested for writing a short story, he was arrested for activly trying to recruit a gang to take over the school.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Such is the charge, the dude claims the charge arises from just a story he wrote and thus is bunk charge, or was he arrested based on other suspicions, like schoolcomrades claiming he tried to recruit them, allthough I must agree that there could be more to this than an innocent story....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, this is crazy...
Reminds me of the time a kid was arrested for some drawings he made in art class, the Secret Service actually questioned him...
I wish I could remember where it happened...
School's are becoming more and more like prisons, inside, the teachers can punish you in crazy ways, and there is no way of defending yourself...
As far as I can tell, you lose most of your constitutional rights in school...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure there has been a thread on this already

top topics

<<   2 >>

join