It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Stoneware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Anyone familiar with Japanese pottery
Just picked up a set that I love and wondering how to research more about the studio/making of
Google only goes so far

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: wagtail

I can only find a few second-hand pieces when I search so I would guess that they went out of business some time ago. It looks like nice quality though.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks LightSpeed
Yeah it’s a bummer there isn’t much info around online
Other than hitting up an old fashioned book or two I don’t think I’ll find much

a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It’s a really lovely set- I’m sure it’s vintage
Simplistic style

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: wagtail

Stoneware just keeps on going. You have a lovely set indeed. From what I remember, it was all the rage in the 70's in the UK at least. May you have many years of pleasure from your purchase.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   
we have some people here that may help you out

jref.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wow! Thank you much, Musicis very cool suggestion
When I get time I will definitely jump in there and post!

a reply to: musicismagic

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Why do people worship Japan? LOL

A cheap Chinese teacup works exactly the same. Might give you cancer or brain damage eventually but you can pay for that with the money you save.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   
It wasn’t really why I purchased the set it just happens to have a Japanese mark... so I thought I’d research something I’d collected out of interest - it didnt cost much?
Anyways - that was definitely a different comment then I expected cheers for that.

a reply to: BrianFlanders

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: wagtail
It wasn’t really why I purchased the set it just happens to have a Japanese mark... so I thought I’d research something I’d collected out of interest - it didnt cost much?
Anyways - that was definitely a different comment then I expected cheers for that.

LOL

It wasn't a serious troll or anything. I was just blabbing. I like Japanese stuff too.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Why do people worship Japan? LOL

A cheap Chinese teacup works exactly the same. Might give you cancer or brain damage eventually but you can pay for that with the money you save.

It is more about what you like not where it was made?

She just likes it and why would that be a problem?

I got some very cheap cups from a Mexico village some years ago, i still love them and i did not get any illness out of it, but i love the effort that was put on them and how beautiful they look, the entire set cost me about 15 dollars but friends have offered up to 200 and i did not give them up ever

She never said that being Japanese made them special, it was just one aspect of the experience

Yonde Kurete Arigato I guess? LMFAO

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   
All good!

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Haha it’s all cool but thanks for the reply! Yeh I love interestinglittle pottery pieces especially when they are super useful too! And stoneware just FEELS nice like you’re tea or coffee is getting a cosy little hug and of course sometimes the skill or design is just beautiful to look at
This set was $20 at a local garage sale and came with a lovely story the woman’s monther bought it early 70s and kept it always loved it and sadly her daughter just didn’t have the room anymore so I promised to look after it
a reply to: Malisa

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: wagtail
Haha it’s all cool but thanks for the reply! Yeh I love interestinglittle pottery pieces especially when they are super useful too! And stoneware just FEELS nice like you’re tea or coffee is getting a cosy little hug and of course sometimes the skill or design is just beautiful to look at
This set was $20 at a local garage sale and came with a lovely story the woman’s monther bought it early 70s and kept it always loved it and sadly her daughter just didn’t have the room anymore so I promised to look after it

Oh that's a lovely story! I inherited a few things like that as well but i don't keep them with me, i keep them with my mom as i don't feel like able to take care of them lol

You got very lucky, i think that this set is more valuable than whatever price they put on it

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Yes it’s better and more enjoyable when you have nice things with sentiment attached and you know you can keep them safe and sound I guess
It was a cute story and she was really nice
It’s a really simple set but I’d love to know who made it or where it was made but might be hard to pinpoint unfortunately

top topics

join