It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix raises price again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Netflix is raising prices again. They are going from 13 to 16 a month now.

I get incredible value out of Netflix and think it is still pretty cheap, at least for my family's usage.
I wonder though, at what point is that red line? Is it 25 bucks a month, or 40?

How expensive would it have to get for you to cancel? For me I think it would have to be closer to the 40 mark or something like that.
I got rid of cable a while back and use ROKU and Netflix. I used to use Amazon prime but felt their content was lacking. Their
series just don't have the draw for me like Netflix, at least for now.

www.cnn.com...

Members who joined after the increase was revealed already have been paying the higher prices. Analysts told CNN Business that most existing customers are willing to pay more as long as Netflix continues to provide a wide range of popular content.

edit on 2-4-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I use KODI... zero dollars per month. I canceled Netflix when it went up from $9.99 sometime ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

im in for 20 or so a month
any more than that and im out unless they step their content game up

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Netflix is my main source for television, i dumped cable a long time ago.

The price increase sucks, but isn't a burden at this point. I do agree, however, that at some point they will have an issue.

For me? Maybe around 20 to 25 dollars a month.

I know netflix makes a lot of original content and I'm sure they think that would justify the eventually high(20+) prices. But at that point I'd find alternatives.
edit on 2-4-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

For me, they can't go higher with the current content. If there was more Hollywood new releases (as to opposed to their own) they may be able to squeeze a few more pennies. The content is good, but once you have seen it you have seen it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: byteshertz

For me, they can't go higher with the current content. If there was more Hollywood new releases (as to opposed to their own) they may be able to squeeze a few more pennies. The content is good, but once you have seen it you have seen it.

I watch a lot of Netflix and feel like I have barely watched anything. They have so much content. Some of it you have to search for. There is also a lot of foreign content if you are OK with subtitles or voice over. My husband and I have found that some of those series are absolutely incredible.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: byteshertz

Agree, I watch some of their original content(some of it is very good), the bulk however is middling at best. They need to have a good mix of older non netflix content and newer non netflix content if they want to attempt to get more.

Also, maybe some "live channels" like pluto offers(for free i might add) would make the price seem more palpable.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I cancelled the day I learned that Netflix added Susan (Benghazi was caused by a disgusting video)Rice was put on their BOD.
Of course they need to hike up prices, they need to pay the Obamas and AOC all those millions for their inspiring stories.

I have KODI and Terrarium. But both are very buggy.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Oooooh, look at all these new shows!!

Oh wait, nevermind they just changed all the cover pictures to different screen shots to make me think they added new content.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Netflix is so full of garbage. The occasional thing i find on there worth watching isn't really worth the price. I had one for a bit, but i haven't bothered topping it up for months now. There's so many better things to do than watch the piles of # being produced today.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I still got the ol' black box. Everything is at my fingertips. I pay Netflix out of gratitude. They have enough original content to claim more money, but it might be a thin line. Only time will tell.

They're still way better than paying for cable.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

The price isn't really that bad, but to be honest I think they should actually lower the price, not raise it. I've always had the pleasure of living with someone who had an account so now that I don't I was thinking of getting one. Unfortunately, though, there are too many options now to warrant all of these price increases.

Cable is expensive and Netflix is a great, cheap alternative to it. Unfortunately now there are many other competitors in the market which mean if you want to watch all of your favorite shows then you may, and I say MAY, feel the need/desire to now subscribe to more than one service. Hulu is the first that comes to mind. They have It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I love that show. XD

When you add that also to the fact that HBO has their own channel, so if you want GoT you'll need that, but other companies like Disney are now offering their own service(Marvel/Pixar films). DC has it's own streaming service, Amazon, etc......you get the point.

So for one to get all of the shows they may want to watch you may be spending almost as much, if not more, than you would just by purchasing cable. I probably won't get any of them now since the plethora of options is more annoying than convenient. There is something I enjoy from all the options, but no option that'll give me everything I enjoy. Just doesn't seem worth it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What I don't see you listing is all the facts..

Yes $16 a month is the cost for their highest tier.

The HD (middle) tier is now $13

The basic tier is still just $9.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I won't pay a dime. I can get what i need free.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Subscribe for a month or two, binge watch the series and movies you want to see. Cancel until next seasons releases.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The ceiling will be soon for me. Not all that much content, we watch more on Hulu and Amazon.

Also, there is tiered increases....when I saw you amount in the OP....I thought they were raising prices twice

The email to subscribers is a reminder that each of Netflix's plans in the United States will increase between $1 to $2. The price of the basic plan will rise from $8 to $9 per month, the standard plan that includes HD streaming on two devices will go from $11 to $13 per month, and the price of its premium plan will increase from $14 to $16.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Netflix is raising prices again. They are going from 13 to 16 a month now.

I get incredible value out of Netflix and think it is still pretty cheap, at least for my family's usage.
I wonder though, at what point is that red line? Is it 25 bucks a month, or 40?

How expensive would it have to get for you to cancel? For me I think it would have to be closer to the 40 mark or something like that.
I got rid of cable a while back and use ROKU and Netflix. I used to use Amazon prime but felt their content was lacking. Their
series just don't have the draw for me like Netflix, at least for now.

www.cnn.com...

Members who joined after the increase was revealed already have been paying the higher prices. Analysts told CNN Business that most existing customers are willing to pay more as long as Netflix continues to provide a wide range of popular content.

Dang dude, S&F for a valid and interesting question. People are stingy.

I'm still getting enough value especially as Hollywood tanks and we get early releases. For years there was an incredible community of those who recorded tv. It's kinda gone. I get a great deal of value with a firestick because we use prime for so many delivery benefits. Add on the free stuff and it's a bargain.

For years I had early July and downloaded everything else. Now I watch most of everything on Dish for 90 bucks and dvr is sooooo handy. I have disposable income and that is where I dispose of a tiny bit of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I'm not real keen on the raise to $12.99 per month but my husband watches Netflix quite a bit and one of my daughters uses my account in another state so I'm getting my money's worth still. I actually enjoy a lot of the Netflix Original content and I especially like a lot of the series from other countries. Although the price has risen by $7 over 10 years compared to how much so many other things have risen in price during that amount of time that's still not too bad.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I always wondered how Netflix works. Like, my buddy gives me his login and password, then I give that to another buddy, and he gives that to someone else...

It's Netflix password shares all the way down.

Really I don't find TV or film entertaining anymore.

It's all just brain drain and I can't get into it.

Now if they started throwing some 'asylum seekers' in some sort of gladiator style venue with live lions for citizenship...yeah I might tune in.

(Too much?
)

edit on 3-4-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I cancelled just a couple of days ago.

Quite frankly, most of what NetFlix offers is 'B' grade or less with only decent recent stuff scattered around here and there. And yeah, it looks like they are offering a lot of shows till you realize that nearly all of them are repeated in many categories.

I just got tired of watching something and then quit half way through because it was just garbage, or else complete the show and then sit there thinking that I had just completely wasted an hour and a half of my life watching junk.

I notice that they removed the star ratings for a simple up and down thumb. Probably because so many of their shows were getting awful ratings from viewers that it embarrassed them to show those ratings.

I lived fine without Netflix, and will very likely get along just fine in the future without it. Give me quality content and stop dropping series when I am only half way finished watching them and maybe I'll be interested in NetFlix again some day.

Probably my time will be better spent reading books again, anyway.

<<   2  3 >>

join