It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have reparations to black folk?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Should all of humanity get reparations from being debt slaves to our collective governments ?

if only the roman empire were still around we could all claim reparations from them in europe !

still I dont see it happening governments of only 100 - 200 years ago havent even apologised for attrocities carried out
never mind paying for it

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Don't tell me that those musicians and sports figures aren't making it rain in strip clubs, buying radically outsized houses and cars, and collecting bling. Are those folks going to leave generational wealth to their kids? I bet you're going to say that they never learned how to handle money to excuse their spending habits. Always an excuse.
Did you know white people keep a dollar on average 30 days, Asians 28 days and black people, one day? Meaning when they get it, they spend it.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

Yea cause all black people act the same....

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Honestly, I laid down my arguments and maybe they are wrong. However, endless debates and arguments is one reason why I said reparations should be disregarded as a law.

Also, it's just ignorant to compare black opression to roman slavery. Civil rights were still being fought in the 1960s.

Why are you combining all of opression into one sandwich? And no I obviously don't want reparations for all if I don TV even want reparations for black folk.

I swear. Some of you dont read past the damn title.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yes, make an arguements comparing the slavery of different people, that's really a good path to go down.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Heck slavery of all races has been a thing for two thousand years. ROME, EGYPT..
A great portion of slaves wouldn't have existed if their original traders in Africa, or other regions, didn't sell them to the explorers or make their own people slaves in the first place.
That isn't to say invading other nations didn't wage war and take slaves, but to paint an inaccurate and unbalanced picture of history is culture destroying in itself.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Duplicate post
edit on 3/4/2019 by L.A.B because: Duplicate post

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I'm saying if we are willing to give reparations for something that happened 300 years ago then where do we draw the line ?

How is it ignorant to compare roman slavery to slavery of Africans ?
it's the exact same thing, one dominant civilisation taking control over another , or in modern times one civilisation thinking they are exceptional compared to another and using them to benefit their economy !

I'm not saying that they don't deserve to have reparations or that their form of slavery is any less horrific than any other form of slavery !

I'm just saying humanity should address the whole slavery , class-ism issue , because what effectively reparations means is paying from tax payers for the mistakes and horrific treatment of humans on earth by the ruling elite and wealthy of 300 years ago who were directly responsible for it , yet everyone else has to pay for it through taxes .
When its individual families that have directly benefited not everyone in society who is alive today has benefited directly from slavery !

For example sugar , tobacco , coffee, have those industry giants , paid anything to Jamaica ? or the Caribbean nations
Tate and Lyle sugar , have they paid anything to Jamaicans descended from slaves ?

Why should a society 300 years down the line have to pay for something that had nothing to do with them ?

are there are organisations and corporations around today who were probably founded directly from money from the slave trade, I'm sure there is one company that was founded in the US from the wealth amassed by the east india trading company !

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: L.A.B

I suppose one thing we can take from the slave trade is that people of earth have mixed and our gene pool is more diverse for it !

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Should Asians? Native Americans moreso than the scraps they were given? Naw.. I think we're good. If there was going to be reparations, they should have occurred during the time people actually affected were still alive. Not generations later.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You could argue that the poor working class are now the "entitled" slaves. With just as little financial freedom, only now it's legal in a different respect.

Comparisons not aside, African slaves that ended up on the plantations must have had it a lot easier than those Spanish Egyptian bois

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: L.A.B

the working class are debt slaves to our governments thats for sure !
doesnt matter the colour of your skin ! if you are poor or working class then you are a slave to debt
and the IMF is your master , the whip is held by our government !

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Why are you combining all of opression into one sandwich? And no I obviously don't want reparations for all if I don TV even want reparations for black folk.

I'snt all oppression and suffering , just human oppression and suffering , why are we categorising it by skin colour ?

it's all abhorrent and unjust

edit on 3-4-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Define "we". We Americans? That all pay Taxes?
I love how ppl don't understand Federal Money in this country. The Government does not have money unless ppl pay taxes and I am not a fan of redistribution of wealth. Also I think the term "White Privilege" is more along the lines of hate speech just cause this country is +-73% "white" and +-12.7% are "black" does not constitute a privilege just cause of a larger pop percent. If that was the case then there would be "Hispanic Privilege" since this demographic make up 17.6% of the U.S. pop.
Census Fact Finder

Maybe we should focus on regulating the healthcare industry. You know one of those functions that the government is meant to do.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If Union Carbide have yet to pay the people of Bhopal , which only happened in 1984

what chance do African Americans, Caribbeans or Jamaicans have of reparations from 300 years ago !

thats Union Carbide , multinational conglomerate !

Just as accountable for crimes against people as an individual slave master
yet they dont have to pay out !

Maybe we should address the system we call democracy which supports these corporations and their crimes against humanity !

It was the system itself that allowed slavery to exist , and the wealthy merchants took advantage of it !
and we still have the same system in place , just with a different facade!

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I don't agree with reparations because slavery ended over 150 years ago. The privilege you're looking for isn't white privilege, it's rich privilege. White privilege is a myth.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

Well, the focus here is on black folk. Indians got reparations to some degrees right? I would think that black people are the second most hurt people by the U.S. The reason that reparations doesn't extend to other minorities is that their oppression is much smaller and reperations to black folk is already a massive undertaking if enacted. Even the far-left understands that you can't just ask reparations for everything including things like the Japanese during ww2.

Imagine where this country would be if blacks hadn't been brought here and enslaved. I think gaining freedom is worth more than any amount of money they can receive. The problem here is that blacks today never went through what their ancestors went through and therefore have no idea how good they actually have it. They're not victims. They bring their own woes on themselves, just like the rest of us do.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

Yea cause all black people act the same....

You're right. Not all black people do act the same, and those that learn how to do things like value their money and education and other things like that long ago shook off the dust to slavery and other removed legal barriers to success and joined most of the rest of us in climbing out of generational poverty.

Why do they need reparations again?

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Well I think they have been given plenty young people have not noticed it because they are young.
African Americans have benefited from lots of programs over the years.
In my area they get
Snap= food stamps
Money for college
Preferential treatment when applying for college
Afdc
Jobs
Free cell pones
Free internet
Hud
Yes you will say white people get this to but by my observations over 40 years it is much much harder for Caucasians men to get these benefits.
I got to sets of neighbors both family of four both fathers disabled
Whit family gets 750 for disability African amcn family gets 900
Sap benifits white family gets 500 dollars food stamps African American family gets to 700
Plus a free cell phone and cable internet thru snap program
Hid African American family gets house completely paid for by bud and if something breaks bud makes owner fix
Whit family has to pay 450 a month could not get bud and if something breaks they have fix it

College
Both mothers went college white mother had to get a student loan to attend beauty school African American mom got grants for same. School and 3 others to learn how to do hair, how to be a can and a cna2.
Both families have same landrdas me and both families are good friends of mine and these are my observation over last 18 years living beside them.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just like race as a biological fact doesnt exist

race is mans greatest myth!

what we have is successive generations of families with power and wealth , consolidating and hoarding that wealth , all the while stealing from others !

and governments allowing it to happen as they were all intimately linked to each other !

European exceptionalism became American exceptionalism and the system continues !

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join