It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I may be old, but I'm cool old

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yeah, and Edumakated brought up a great not so great memory, phone lines!!!

One time I had a lot of long distance call. (A lot) My parents bill was in the hundreds of dollars and my parents made me pay ever cent. I had a crappy fast food job and paid it all off. Kids do not realize how cheap that kind of communication is now.

You're right on there, tech stuff is cheap these days compared to what it was. Phone charges are a great example! However, hard drive/data storage costs are another. My 5 Mb hd was just over $2,000, or 400 a megabyte lol.

Man, we be old lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
My first computer was one of the original TRS-80 Model 1 (yep, a "Trash 80") with a blistering fast cassette drive. I remember when the first floppy disk drives came out, how I thought they were such a novel idea, but at the time they were pretty buggy so I stuck with the tape drive for a year or so. I also remember later when the first HDD's came out (for later generation computers like the actual IBM 'PC"). You had to be rich to get one of those (at least from my perspective), you could by a good used car for 1/4 of that kind of money.

I can also remember the first dial-up BBS's, you'd find their numbers in the backs of magazines. Oh, and one time a friend told me about this "Internet" thing, and how you could get "on-line" by signing up for this thing called Compuserve. My Compuserve number was one of the very early ones which were 5 digits.

Okay, enough with the nostalgia, more important things to do....

"HEY, YOU KIDS...GET OFF OF MY LAWN! I don't know what you're lookin' for, but do it somewhere ELSE!"
edit on 4/3/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

you could by a good used car for 1/4 of that kind of money.

My first car was a used 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible.
I purchased it for $500 bucks. I ended up selling it for $500 and my
fiancee used the money to buy a VCR. At the time, that was not enough to entirely pay for it.

Yes folks, a Ford Mustang was worth less than a VCR at one time. If I only had a time machine!!

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I remember having free national dial up to a toll free number because I sat of the phone for two hours helping their tech department write the troubleshooting manual for the Mac for their service.

Years later I ran across a deal on an old Apple Newton Message Pad 2000. And since by then I had cable internet, I promptly setup a webpage on it for it to host.

In 2005 Sprint gave me truly unlimited 3G service and a free card for the laptop to demonstrate my setup to other truck drivers. Not only did I have cards for cable and over the air TV for the laptop, I even ran a PlayStation 2 through it and played online games. It was on that setup I signed up here back in 2006.

But if anyone remembers MOO’s back in the Telnet days, Wilson was a guy I have known since third grade. His big contributions were Scrabble MOO (forced offline by Hasbro when they bought Scrabble) and a little something called the multi-room object since even developers only had an inventory of six items to create the world.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
@ JAG - Interesting that you bring up interacting at clubs/pubs in the olden days, because two pubs in England have imposed a ban on mobile phones to encourage old-fashioned conversation, I just wondered if the idea might catch on here in the West some day. They also banned using profanity - what next? Funny, the one pub is called "The Old Boot Inn".

www.cheshire-live.co.uk...
edit on 14CDT09America/Chicago03590930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join