It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Express matches Methane spike measured by curiosity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
For those who have a passing interest about the methane that was observed at Mars in 2004 by Curiosity the latest orbiter called "Mars Express" has verified "There be Methane" once again.. I wish we were not so earth bound and could get off this planet to do some serious survey work on the planets of our solar system and beyond.. anyway this is one more addition to the belief the methane is being caused by possibility microbes as the Methane is seasonal.... Or Mars is more tectonic alive than dead ?

1 April 2019

A reanalysis of data collected by ESA’s Mars Express during the first 20 months of NASA’s Curiosity mission found one case of correlated methane detection, the first time an in-situ measurement has been independently confirmed from orbit.

Reports of methane in the martian atmosphere have been intensely debated, with Mars Express contributing one of the first measurements from orbit in 2004, shortly after its arrival at the Red Planet.

The molecule attracts such attention because on Earth methane is generated by living organisms, as well as geological processes. Because it can be destroyed quickly by atmospheric processes, any detection of the molecule in the martian atmosphere means it must have been released relatively recently – even if the methane itself was produced millions or billions of years ago and lay trapped in underground reservoirs until now.

While spacecraft and telescopic observations from Earth have in general reported no or very low detections of methane, or measurements right at the limit of the instruments’ capabilities, a handful of spurious spikes, along with Curiosity’s reported seasonal variation at its location in Gale Crater, raise the exciting question of how it is being generated and destroyed in present times.

www.esa.int...

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So what u saying? Mars has gas?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
So what u saying? Mars has gas?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
if the methane is organically produced... the 'life' source is both primal and extremely rare...

there are no Godzillas' in a Mars cave sleeping

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Dear God. Forgive me for spewing perfectly good beer all over the table.

I reckon ole Mervin was just unleahing his Illidium Q36 explosive space modulator on some martian sea monkeys and NASA just misinterpreted the data.

My opologies to the op btw.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Very interesting. Finding organics like methane certainly increases the possibilities.

I'd suspect it results from anything other than tectonics. It would be hard for me to imagine the tectonic activity that Mars has given the state it is in. That said, the seepage we see is also interesting. I could see processes whereby underground water causes the erosion of rock formations that release ancient methane.

If Mars grew any organic life when it was wet, there would have to be gasses trapped underground.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Methane is a gas that can warm a planet up .

So maybe it’s a symbiotic relation between Mars and earth ?

Or it could be aliens .......

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Good news , there were some in the scientific community expressing doubt that the original methane detection was valid but if Mars Express has confirmed the finding then it seems methane there be.

Of course it could be geological but I think it more likely that it's from underground aquifers on Mars or more to the point from life living in underground aquifers on Mars.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
regarding the observations that there is moore water in earth's crust than in the oceans..
so why wouldned there be water in mars crust left...

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Since they finally admitted to water in quantity being on Mars, the next logical step for the public was to be told that methane, like water, was now not just a rude suggestion for the "dead" planet, but definitely seems to be there. Possibly, I would guess, that gas is no doubt from a trapped release, namely, from the farts of the mysterious blueberry.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
For those who have a passing interest about the methane that was observed at Mars in 2004 by Curiosity the latest orbiter called "Mars Express" has verified "There be Methane" once again..

Curiosity didn't land on Mars till 2012. The MER's were on Mars in 2004. Interesting OP. S&F.

We will never know where the methane is coming from until humans land and explore Mars. I remember a story about the Methane Curiosity detected coming from Curiosity.

Methane Detected On Mars Could Have Come From Curiosity

top topics

join