It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody keep rabbits for food ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

What the heck is going on with the dog in your avatar pic!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

RE: Rabbit Starvation -

Wow, who would ever have thought of that. I never heard of it.

In U.S. Military Arctic Light Infantry Training (ALIT), it is taught that rabbit takes more vitamins to digest than it returns. It is recommended in survival situations to refrain from eating at all if rabbit is the only thing to eat.[citation needed] Though, instead of eating the meat (which consumes your fat and vitamins), you could simply boil the rabbit meat to extract the fat and some minerals and vitamins (some vitamins will be destroyed by temperature). The Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson, who experienced rabbit starvation himself, wrote:

"The groups that depend on the blubber animals are the most fortunate in the hunting way of life, for they never suffer from fat-hunger. This trouble is worst, so far as North America is concerned, among those forest Indians who depend at times on rabbits, the leanest animal in the North, and who develop the extreme fat-hunger known as rabbit-starvation. Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source—beaver, moose, fish—will develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude and vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied. Some think a man will die sooner if he eats continually of fat-free meat than if he eats nothing, but this is a belief on which sufficient evidence for a decision has not been gathered in the North. Deaths from rabbit-starvation, or from the eating of other skinny meat, are rare; for everyone understands the principle, and any possible preventive steps are naturally taken."

And to think people pay extra for lean meat.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

When I was a kid my family raised all kinds of animals for food. Pigs, geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys, and yes, rabbits. I loved those cute furry domestic animals and naturally, thought of them as pets. My dad forced me to watch him kill and process them. he used a club to pet and calm them...then clubbed their heads.

It is a scene I see in my mind even to this day. I understand he was trying to make me understand not to get too attached to food. It is emotionally challenging to kill and eat otherwise.

The domestic rabbits tend to have more fat than wild rabbits due to different diet, but they also are way too cute. I can easily process a wild rabbit, I still prefer to skin it hanging upside down. That way, the skin covers its cute face when I cut its head off.

My point in sharing my experience is for those considering raising rabbits for food, they may want to start real small and definitely have a backup plan.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I have eaten Rabbits but keeping them and then killing them for food would seem a bit like killing a Cat or a Dog.

I just don't think i could do it unless i was really bloody hungry.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.. they're like the cutest animals on the Earth.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I'm sorry but your dad is a psycho. Not something to do to your daughter when you see her adoring the animals.

I had similar experiences my dad being a fisherman. Watching bloody fish on the deck gasping for air. As a kid you are more sensitive to these things. Maybe it is the correct perspective.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I saw that on a Youtube video. Cat ate the entire rabbit, fur and all. Your cat eats the fur too?

edit on 2-4-2019 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure my one cat is planning to kill me. He keeps looking at my carotid artery. If I don't feed him I have real fear something really bad will happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

You couldn't like deliver newspapers or something?

Sounds like a tough job. I guess somebody has to do it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

If Cats were bigger they would kill us all, they could be bideing their time as our pets till they evolve to a a larger size with intellect and opposing thumbs, then a swift night time kull of all humans,

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

I saw that on a Youtube video. Cat ate the entire rabbit, fur and all. Your cat eats the fur too?

Yep - head first. He loves eating the brain. The only thing left is a neat pile of guts set to one side lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Mine just eats heads then leaves the rest in my bed....

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

My cat tells me "when I am as big as a house YOU will be my mouse".

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManyMasks

If Cats were bigger they would kill us all,

Lions.
Tigers.

They already can

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   

That was my first job, my worst job was selling accidental death life insurance by cold calling people, I lasted 2 weeks at that compared to six years as butcher/ slaughter man. The worst part of working at the piggery was sometimes when you brought them off the trailer and one had died on the journey, if it had been dead for a while the smell would make you dizzy and give you a sore head, it's the worst smell you can imagine and one you never forget.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yeah they bad boys sure can
You won't see me rubbing them under the chin lol

edit on 2-4-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

dang

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I think it had a heavy weekend.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The first thing I thought there was.... I wonder what the brain tastes like, nice texture for a cat I guess though.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Who Anubis's alcoholic brother?

He used to be a God too, until he got all backwards full of the demon drink

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

If Cats were bigger they would kill us all, they could be bideing their time as our pets till they evolve to a a larger size with intellect and opposing thumbs, then a swift night time kull of all humans,

Supposedly big cats and dogs evolved from little "rodent or shrew-like herbivores and detrivores that scurried around at night, (link)". So yeah thats entirely possible.

It cracks me up when people try to keep larger cats thinking they're cute. It makes me nervous to watch:

Watch around 2m 38s .. "now what did I tell you about trying to eat me".

edit on 2-4-2019 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join