It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blinking and Animated Ads on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I understand the need for advertisements, I'm just not used to seeing it on ATS, but I guess I'm getting used to it. The one thing that is so distracting though are the BLINKING ads on the right side of the screen. I want to scroll down just so I can get past them.

I know the advertiser's whole idea is to get your eye off the page and onto their ad by binking and spinning and whatever else they can do to distract your attention, but couldn't we restrict the ads along that right side of the screen to ones that aren't blinking or animated? Or am I just too sensitive to the distractions?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The blinking ones that say you are a winner do get kinda annoying so that's why I have adblock for firefox. No more ads at all.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I know- Those dang cocoroaches on that silly game drive me crazy...

Of all things; I get the creepy crawlies everytime i log on... OR a picture of Paris Hilton saying can you guess who i am?

I want her destroyed.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I still get ads through firefox. The one on the front page in shockwave, that always annoys me. It's the closest thing I get to a pop up though.

Funnily enough, FF tells me its stopped ATS from opening a pop up on the front page...I thought ATS wasn't going to use pop ups.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
The blinking ones that say you are a winner do get kinda annoying so that's why I have adblock for firefox. No more ads at all.

Oh that's interesting. I'm using Firefox and I get the ads. Maybe I need a plugin?

It's too bad... ATS was a nice ad-free haven.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Pop-ups run on the site main page at: www.abovetopsecret.com with a frequency cap (that I manage through our code) of once every 24 hours. However, if we detect a forum cookie (you've logged in) we do not serve a pop-up.

A different pop-under is served from the forum pages in the same way (once every 24 hours to non-members).

We're now approved in 3 different advertising networks, and in each I have the ability to disable specific advertisers. When a particularly offensive ad has been brought to my attention, I've disabled it. I'll review the "skyscraper" ads for the ones you described (the tall ads on the right).

We've also just been approved for a top-tier ad network. This new network works to find specific advertisers for ATS... so the quality of our ads should soon improve.

But here's a philosophical question for you... is it right to knowingly use an advertising-supported website while you have ad-blocking enabled?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But here's a philosophical question for you... is it right to knowingly use an advertising-supported website while you have ad-blocking enabled?

It's as right as using a TEVO or other ad-removing recording device to get your daily fix of the TV drug. Removal of advertisements is a benefit that consumers are (shock, horror) willing to pay for, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I like the new avatar SkepticOverlord! And I personally don't mind the ads to much...as long as they aren't the ones that take up your screen and you can't seem to find that darn camoflouged [X]

[edit on 3/1/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
It's as right as using a TEVO or other ad-removing recording device to get your daily fix of the TV drug. Removal of advertisements is a benefit that consumers are (shock, horror) willing to pay for, isn't it?

So if most people used ad blocking while on ATS... how would we pay to keep this place functioning? Isn't the larger benefit of free access more important?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think you guys should sell T-Shirts....or better yet, bumper stickers.

[edit on 3/1/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So if most people used ad blocking while on ATS... how would we pay to keep this place functioning? Isn't the larger benefit of free access more important?

Ahhh... statistics and microeconomics and commercial viability on the one hand, and morality as a smaller subtext on the other.

I hope most people aren't ad blocking, but I didn't know that the presence of ad blockers could be measured by admin or sponsors?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't mind ads. Heck, we see them everywhere.

I just dont like the annoying blinking and animated ones. THey are distracting to the point of not wanting to even be on.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
but I didn't know that the presence of ad blockers could be measured by admin or sponsors?

Only through comparing page impressions to ad impressions... not accurate.

There's no "economic" issue or even one of commericial viability... the more important issue is an advertising model that better suits the Internet than an ad banner. There are new ideas... but for now, the banner is what sites like us have available to us to realize some small degree of income that correlates to traffic. Less traffic (ad blockers) results in less income.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well I used to AdBlock pretty much every site I came across, but when I learn the actually economic situation of alot of small to medium sized websites that I loved, I unblocked those, ATS included. I even make a point of clicking on an ad or two once in a blue moon. Don't want to do it too often, could get Google or Burst!
heh

[edit on 1-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I for one feel that nearly all ads on the internet, including ATS, disrupt the viewing of the page. I block all ads that I see, and at the domain and not just that one ad, so the whole network would be blocked. The only ads I dont block are Google ads, which I do click on a regular basis, mostly on ATS. Id be more than willing to donate money to ATS to "make up" for the ads im blocking, but donating doesnt seem to be allowed.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'd gladly pay a membership fee to be whisked away to a tropical ad-free ATS island paradise....

But I can understand the benefit of the current system....I simply can't believe there are that many schmucks who click on the ads and banners....

I can't remember the last time I clicked on one and was actually taken to where the banner led me to believe it was taking me....

Swat the fly and you'll get a brand new car!! You swat like everything except the fly, it takes you to a site that congratulates you for swatting the damn fly, and then it tells you that you need to max out ten credit cards first, then you can give us your email address and we'll get back to you on that free car....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Around 65% of surfers can't tell the difference between Google text ads and inbound links (I couldn't believe it either), so everyone's a winner. I suspect a lot of people use them to navigate from site to site, as the ads are often useful and relevant to the surfers interests.

They also pay pretty nice too.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869

Oh that's interesting. I'm using Firefox and I get the ads. Maybe I need a plugin?

It's too bad... ATS was a nice ad-free haven.

The plugin is called ad-block

I only blocked the annoying blinky ones. I just block those on whatever site I see. I can't concentrate with them there.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by cpr12r]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I agree. they are horribly annoying.
whats wrong with banner ads running along the top of the page?
why does EVERY BIT OF VIEWABLE AREA have to contain some kind of advertisement (Im talking about the skyscraper ads running the FULL LENGTH along the right side of the page?)

THey're just awful! CAN'T YOU KEEP THE ADS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE???!!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think the ads are great.

I think the "You are a winner" ones suck but only because I think it's a bad advertising approach.

But I've been clicking on more ads in the last week and only because I'm interested.

I just clicked on a banner ad for HogBusters. org (or something like that) and it was actually really cool though I haven't the time at the moment to play the games they have there..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join