It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If border is closed no Avocados

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The flavor is all about the soil.

I spent most of my childhood in Utah in an area known for its fruit mainly, cherries in particular. Dark loamy soil that was on our property at least 12 feet deep. I have not had a truly good peach since my father passed when I was still young. Picked fully ripe, grown in good soil carefully tended to keep it that way is something only those who grow their own get these days. In cities only restaurants have access.

Just before I moved from Idaho up here 18 years ago, they had a series of articles exposing how the best goes to restaurants and are not available to the public. It was a real scandal. You can not buy the highest quality potatoes in Idaho, they all get shipped out to restaurant suppliers. Which is why you buy them from the farm instead of in the store.

Every year they would bring up watermelons from Green River, UT by the semi-loads. Back then you only had them in season. If you ever happen to be around Green River at the right time, buy one. Picked fully ripe off the vine, in the perfect soil for them. Truly remarkable melons and the cantaloupes from there are the same as well as the honeydews. People who don't like them, suddenly love them.

I don't know what it is in Mexico and South America, but the soil has to be not right for them to have that bitter taste mixed in. I guess you deal with the soil you have.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
One of my favorite's is a toasted bagel or sliced bread with a layer of cream cheese topped with avocado then sprinkled with pepper and seasoning salt. Hits the spot! Stopped buying avocados a month ago, couldn't find any good ones. They were either rotten or appeared under ripe. After letting the under ripe ones sit a day or two they felt ripe but when you opened them they were rotten. Frustrating and a waste of money. I'd miss avocados but I'm not going to freak out about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Here in Virginia we have the three P's... peaches, peanuts and pork.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZenTam
One of my favorite's is a toasted bagel or sliced bread with a layer of cream cheese topped with avocado then sprinkled with pepper and seasoning salt. Hits the spot! Stopped buying avocados a month ago, couldn't find any good ones. They were either rotten or appeared under ripe. After letting the under ripe ones sit a day or two they felt ripe but when you opened them they were rotten. Frustrating and a waste of money. I'd miss avocados but I'm not going to freak out about it.

I never got into that Avocado toast thing. I dunno, cream cheese with avocado seems a little like overkill to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I never got into that Avocado toast thing. I dunno, cream cheese with avocado seems a little like overkill to me.

I've been eating it for years, long before it was a "thing". Don't knock it till you try it, its a magical combination. Just a thin layer of cream cheese, you don't need much. My wife used to make fun of me when I ate it. Finally she tried it and shes hooked. Now I'm burnt out on it because she wants so much...lol

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

yeah, a really thin layer of cream cheese maybe, but personally prefer either cheese or avocado on a sandwich, not both, they kinda cancel each other out, too much richness.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Meh I'll just pluck them from my neighbors back yard.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm>>> Somewhat off topic but it does tie in with the obsessive MSM and their anti Trump campaign. WTF ith Comedy Central? How long have they been basing their shows on attacking Trump? I guess since before that sell out Stephen Colbert replaced the Daly Show. But what is it with having to have English accented hosts?Do they come across as intelligent or educated? Is that it? As big a mess as England is with their Royals and their government( which even out creepys our politicos like the Clintons Obamas and Bidens and rivals the Podestas).

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Always looked disgusting to me.....l say Mexico can keep em.

They have a lot of starving aliens to feed

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Avocados? Why ignore the reality of closing the border? It doesn't mean no guac. It means hundreds of BILLIONS in lost revenue to Americans. At least accept the full reality of what a closed border would cost. And it's a hell of a lot worse than not getting avocados.

But I expect no less than Trumps flock, than to minimize another stupid decision by Trump. "Omg, we won't get avocados, derp!" Reality: it could cost hundreds of millions.. a DAY.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
WHAT WILL I DO????? Trump is a racist against AVACADOS.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Have you seen this all over social media and the news.

Is this the worst that there is, no more avocado toast? Sure I like avocados as much as the next guy, but c'mon.
I actually had a friend post that this would cause a huge upset in her family! What? Avocados? How many avocados are
people eating these days?

www.theguardian.com...

Nearly half of all imported US vegetables and 40% of imported fruit are grown in Mexico, according to the latest data from the United States Department of Agriculture.

Maybe this is a great wake up call, We have a lot of land in the United States. We need to bring production back home. We can grow Avocados and limes here in our Southern states.

That's unfortunate. I guess liberals will finally admit that there's a crisis at the border if we take their Mexican veggies away. I don't care either way. Maybe we can start producing everything ourselves. Let's get away from China while we're at it and start producing our own products and toys for the kids that won't break after one drop.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Avocados? Why ignore the reality of closing the border? It doesn't mean no guac. It means hundreds of BILLIONS in lost revenue to Americans. At least accept the full reality of what a closed border would cost. And it's a hell of a lot worse than not getting avocados.

But I expect no less than Trumps flock, than to minimize another stupid decision by Trump. "Omg, we won't get avocados, derp!" Reality: it could cost hundreds of millions.. a DAY.

Then you understand the importance of stopping this illegal influx of aliens, correct?

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
WHAT WILL I DO????? Trump is a racist against AVACADOS.

And yet green and orange are usually complimentary to one another!

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Imagine how serious this’ll be taken if tequila runs out....

One of my concerns is the cost of produce from California if there’s not enough pickers....thankfully this is going into summertime, when the cost of fruits, veggies is a little lower
We need more massive greenhouses in the north..

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Shame the corporate war machine does not stay on its side of the boarder too.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Then you understand the importance of stopping this illegal influx of aliens, correct?

I understand that it's an issue that needs to be addressed, I don't think you need to close the border to fix it. This is just a threat by Trump to force Dems to agree to his wall. It's obviously not going to stop illegal crossings - it will only serve to punish American businesses (and Mexican businesses) because Trump isn't getting his way.

If this was a way to actually stop the illegal immigration, ok - but otherwise it just hits U.S. business hard. Do you really think Trump cares about those businesses impacted? He doesn't - he couldn't care less about them, he just wants to get his way. He didn't care about those affected by the partial shutdown, either. I still think it's sadly funny that many of his flock actually believe he REALLY cares about businesses, or the middle or lower class, or in fact, anything that doesn't revolve around himself.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Avocados, really?

You're going to have to do better than that SJW's.

edit on 5-4-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
My neighbor has an awesome avocado tree. Covered in blossoms at the moment.

These are 2 pound avocados we're talking about. Not those pathetic California and Mexican things.

Trump bailed though. Notice?

edit on 4/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
My neighbor has an awesome avocado tree.

Cool, Phage has an avocado source. Now we can close the border with impunity.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join