It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If border is closed no Avocados

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh who gives a rat's ass about the hipsters and their infatuation with avocados? We're gonna rock on through to fresh Avocadoos... and the price will be slightly higher whoopity doo, people need to grow a pair, STFU, and acknowledge that border security trumps (pun intended) their current fad food.

They can bring in plane loads of high priced avocado's on the trip up to the US and charge more. That way, the planes can be loaded with illegal avocado pickers sent back to Mexico and paid for by people who eat avocado's. If the profits are high enough, maybe after the illegals are gone, we could start shipping dems/liberals :-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/2.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
HaHaHa....you guys are so much Fun ! OK, gotta admit we Love our avocado's in loony tunes CA, cost ranges from .75 to $1.50 ea. depending on season and size. I'm growing one I started from a seed, he's about 2 ft. tall now, doing really good ! His name is " Little Ricky Cado " ... we thought it was funny.

Now, my Irish relatives from Pitts. PA, not so much.... Had a Family Reunion in CA and I made a big bowl of guacamole and home made chips to bring to the party and it was one of the funnest things I ever saw, their reactions to this bowl of green goop ! We all laughed soo hard when one of my cousins looked at it and said " What the Hell is this ! " So yeah...should have made onion dip !

We'll be just fine without Mexican Avocado's....remember the creepy Super Bowl commercial ? Here's an interesting video decoding the possible meaning of that commercial for those of you who might find this interesting.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

You win the internet today.

" Little Ricky Cado "

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel
Now, my Irish relatives from Pitts. PA, not so much.... Had a Family Reunion in CA and I made a big bowl of guacamole and home made chips to bring to the party and it was one of the funnest things I ever saw, their reactions to this bowl of green goop ! We all laughed soo hard when one of my cousins looked at it and said " What the Hell is this ! "

Next time squirt some Heinz ketchup on it in front of them and they'll eat it like it was the finest food they'd ever seen. My inlaws are from there... simple people, very simple people, with simple brand loyalty driven tastes.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Next time squirt some Heinz ketchup on it in front of them and they'll eat it like it was the finest food they'd ever seen.

My family is originally from those parts. My grandpa would not allow EYEtalian food in the house. He said it was trash food, including ketchup.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Really? My God, everyone from Pittsburgh I've ever encountered treats Heinz ketchup like it was mandatory for every meal.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
LOL...soo funny...my parents who grew up in Pitts. PA came from both Irish/Dad and Italian/Mom families, IDK...it seems that a lot of Irish/Italian marriages worked ( or didn't ) in my Family...maybe cause the Irish side couldn't cook !!

burdman, if your wife is anything like my relatives, you got Lucky...wonderful, loving, funny, loyal, family orientated folks ! A whole different world then how I grew up. Another funny story, we were visiting in PA, Best time ever, non-stop laughs and a feeling of un-conditional Love...anyways, I asked my cousin where the recycle bin was to throw away my " Iron City " beer can..she looked at me like I was nuts, but in a nice way, said to me, " we just throw the cans in the trash " I smiled and said "cool"...

edit on 2-4-2019 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Next time squirt some Heinz ketchup on it in front of them and they'll eat it like it was the finest food they'd ever seen.

My family is originally from those parts. My grandpa would not allow EYEtalian food in the house. He said it was trash food, including ketchup.

What?!

And people look down their noses at those of us from the Kansas area like we're the great unwashed? We at least have some culinary complexity.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Avocados - another reason to build the wall.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: MountainLaurel

You win the internet today.

" Little Ricky Cado "

awww, Thanks...this was a fun thread, in light of a serious situation that's way bigger then Avocados .... was nice to take a break, thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Avocados would run out in three weeks if imports from Mexico were stopped, said Steve Barnard, president and chief executive of Mission Produce, the largest distributor and grower of avocados in the world.

“You couldn’t pick a worse time of year because Mexico supplies virtually 100% of the avocados in the US right now. California is just starting and they have a very small crop, but they’re not relevant right now and won’t be for another month or so,” said Barnard.

What that article is saying is that supplies through Mission Produce would be impacted. In another month the avocados from California begin to dominate the market. Mission produce registered as a foreign for-profit corporation seems to be interfering in US political matters for obvious reasons.

Mission produce also has bought up parts of companies in other countries too I assume, control as much of the avocado market as they can, so Mexico is not their only source.

Hang in there avocado addicts, California is coming to the rescue shortly. Better, in fact much better quality avocados. If the crappy avocados we get here from Mexico and South America are any indicator, it's worth the wait. My god the avocados from Mexico suck, at least in my experience buying them here. Go California!!! I'll continue to eat them when the good ones are plentiful and in season where they grow quality produce.

On the other, I'm not 9 feet tall and 600 lbs, so I'll stay out of that part.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Really? My God, everyone from Pittsburgh I've ever encountered treats Heinz ketchup like it was mandatory for every meal.

Maybe it is from all those years of deprivation?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It is amazing to think that this history of California avocados we eat today almost didn't happen.

They are much much better than mexican ones. I find the Cali ones have a subtle sweet nutty flavor.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

There is no comparison IMO. We stopped even buying them we got so many that were inferior.

Being in Alaska, about the only time we get any decent fruits and vegetables is when they are in season and US sourced.

On top of us getting bad quality vegetables, they often look like vegetables that were probably rejected in other markets and we pay extra for the privilege. When we travel it always catches my attention how much cheaper they are in other states and how the quality is much better. It's bad enough we end up with the leftovers without having to put up with the horrible Mexican and South American produce. I guess they have bad soil and don't mitigate the problem. Nasty tasting stuff compared to US produce.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

When we travel it always catches my attention how much cheaper they are in other states and how the quality is much better.

I have never liked watermelons. I thought they were mushy, grainy and tasteless. That is, until I moved to Florida.
Slap Yo Mama like she's a redhead!! I was completely and utterly shocked. Their watermelons were like an entirely different food. They were crisp, sweet and full of flavor. They were my favorite, and I ate them all the time down there. Now that I'm back in Wisconsin, I hate them again.

Oranges are the same way. Having an orange right off the tree is an experience everyone should have just once. I imagine that is what heaven is like. Smelling the thick hot perfumed air. Running and laughing in between groves that have been in the family for five generations. Looking up, and picking that perfect deep orange fruit.
Peeling it and experiencing the sharp sour, then the bittersweet, then the pure sugar. The flesh is so tender. You just walk in the grove and eat oranges until your mouth is raw from the acid. Why did I move to Wisconsin?? sigh

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

What? Are there no watermelons grown in Wisconsin?

The ones we get at the local farmers' market in Missouri are awesome.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What? Are there no watermelons grown in Wisconsin?

The ones we get at the local farmers' market in Missouri are awesome.

Our season is shorter than Missouri. They do grow here, but they are nothing, absolutely nothing like Florida grown.
I think it is the sandy soil or something.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

We get decent apples, though. We got that working for us.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Might be the heat too. Ours don't start to get really good until late July into August. We also get some killer peachers here, but they're little suckers.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Great.. see ya in august when they will be ready in your neck of the woods.

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join