It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for April 2019 - "SNEAKING SUSPICIONS" [SS2019]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'll be closing the contest to new entries in the next few hours (slightly earlier than usual as I am going away for a long weekend) YAY!
So, if you have any inclination to join in... please do so now! ...or at least... VERY soon! LOL

G

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This Months' Contest is now CLOSED to new entries folks!

So, no more new entries after this post please.

There now follows the usual ONE WEEK for Reading and Voting.

Votes are cast by giving Flags and Stars to your favourite Story threads & Posts.
PLEASE do not add Stars and Flags for any other reason!

Cheers,
G

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Still a lot of un-pinned entries.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I had fun writing this but it seems like this competition was more of a popularity contest of people who post every hour every day versus about the actual writing. I will probably continue to participate for my own improvement though.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
I had fun writing this but it seems like this competition was more of a popularity contest of people who post every hour every day versus about the actual writing. I will probably continue to participate for my own improvement though.

Yes, but, hopefully the popularity will fade with exposure and true talent will rise to the top.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I will probably continue to participate for my own improvement though.

That should be the main motivation for entering the contest. Not some point counter.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Write because you enjoy doing it. Because it makes you happy. See if you can get others to enjoy your writing too. But ultimately, it should always be for your own enjoyment. What good is it if you don't enjoy doing it? Hone your skills. Let your imagination stretch its legs and run free like a Border Collie in a field of sheep, herding words together, grouping them just so. And feel free to bark too. I do. It helps. :-)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

*BARK!*

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Still a lot of un-pinned entries.

Thanks AM - I have asked our mods to take a look-see!

Thanks chris, and what would you suggest that can be done about it?

Well said ITL, Purp and Vroom!

G

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I don't think there is really a way to regulate it bc of the way forums work in general. It is pretty much the honour system when it comes to why someone is voting, be it based on actual quality or bc they recognise/personally like the poster.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Good luck everyone!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I don't think there is really a way to regulate it bc of the way forums work in general. It is pretty much the honour system when it comes to why someone is voting, be it based on actual quality or bc they recognise/personally like the poster.

Why not choose rotating judges for each contest and ignore the S&F? I would also like the judges to provide constructive criticism as well as mentoring.

Good luck writers.
edit on 14CDT07America/Chicago02470730 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
very good idea.
a reply to: InTheLight

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Yeah, I agree. You picked me up for too many words in one of my entries. So I withdrew that entry. Didn't think I was popular though. Leastways I didn't get a big flamin head.

Gordi set a forum for writers. We entered. Good strategy you got goin there. (for you and some others)

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 23-4-2019 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Why not choose rotating judges for each contest and ignore the S&F? I would also like the judges to provide constructive criticism as well as mentoring.

That seems like it would lead to serious complications.
Imagine the hard feelings against the poor judge who can't rely on anonymity because she or he is also providing criticism.

I vote to leave it as is, freewheeling tyranny of whim and whimsy

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Not a criticism so much as an observation. There is one story in particular which has a very 'unusual' subject line, and it that subject line seems to have drawn attention more than the story within. Somehow it seems there should be a way to account for this phenomenon.

Perhaps one method might be to limit the subject line to the poster's name and the short story contest name. Then, if there's a word limit, allow the poster to enter the title of the story within the body of the text with no word penalty.

For example:

Subject line - John Doe's entry for "SNEAKING SUSPICIONS" [2019]

Then within the body of the post text....

Title - "I Love the Smell of Dog Pharts in the Morning! Smells like...Victory!" (Juuuust an example!)
-----------------
(insert Short Story text)

(end)

This way, the subject line of the post is less likely to draw attention from people's not interested in the contest itself.

Just a thought.

P.S. - this might even draw more members into the short story contests because they click on the posts already knowing they're reading a contest entry (and hey, they might even look at the rules!).

Correct. Censor the title and maybe even perhaps censor the authors name. That way we have a story just to read and vote on. Good point. Much like clickbait titles we see on ATS everyday and popular posters. (Wow! I've just won!") The media and ATS posters maybe could follow suit.

Snip/cut. Censorship. Gotta love it.

This forum, to my way of view, is for good clean fun and sure some posters will muster their chance to write something different. Titles and all. Perhaps those others may take it in the spirit of writing and move onwards, much like unappreciated art and the artists. Stories, poetry, humor art, Shakespeare wrote unimaginable prose but look at it now.
Posters are just enjoying this forum away from the other bullsnip. But suddenly (tears).

My thoughts,

bally

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Good luck writers.

I would really really like you as a judge.

Nice regards,

bally

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I would really really like you as a judge.

Who is going to provide the official ATS story judge protective gear.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hi guys,
Nice to see some constructive debates going on!

Just to clarify...
I didn't start this whole thing off, or set the ground rules for the writers' contests.
(Although I have tweaked the rules slightly in response to comments, criticisms and suggestions from participants.)

I actually started off (like most people here) as a timid, nervous participant who'd never really written anything for other people to read before.

The contests gave me an opportunity to explore and develop my own writing in a "safe" forum of like-minded people who enjoyed writing (and reading) the stories.
I benefited greatly from the comments and criticisms that I received (AND from reading all of the OTHER entries & comments) and over time my confidence grew and my writing actually improved to the point where I was regularly featuring on podiums and such. (And I am NOT popular by any stretch!!! LOL)

I got involved in the running of the contests by volunteering to help out behind the scenes because I wanted to try and thank ATS by putting something back in when things were faltering a wee bit (with the contests) back then.
Believe it or not - it does take a lot of hard work to run these things!
After a while, I was invited to run one of the contests on my own and it worked out well, so I was asked to carry on.

As I say in the rules every month - the contest is not just about "winning".
It's about encouraging and developing new writers, getting creative, sharing knowledge & skills, providing feedback and constructive criticism and having FUN.
The contest is just a vehicle to provide the opportunity for that to happen.
It should not be taken too seriously, and I've tried very hard to keep things simple and light-hearted where possible, not interfering or being too heavy-handed with the rules etc.

As soon as you introduce a "judge" (especially one who is providing feedback and criticism) you are automatically passing "judgement" on the entries. It becomes more serious and I'm not sure if that would be healthy or encouraging for new writers.
Who chooses the judge? What criteria would be used? How does having a single judge make the contest fairer? Couldn't they just choose one of their popular friends entries each time? How do you prevent personal affronts and disputes from arising? How do you deal with "Why her and not me??" "How come I never get to judge?" etc
It opens up a whole big can of worms IMHO.

I reckon that the current contest format isn't actually that bad.

There can be an element of "popularity" on occasion, but I believe that true talent usually wins the day.
btw - For those who think that it's "just a popularity contest"... did you know that we've had 8 different winners from the last 8 contests?
(Maybe take a wee moment to let that sink in?)

I really enjoy these contests, for all of the reasons that I outlined earlier and more.
I appreciate all of the entries and all of the comments, feedback and debate - because it shows that you care too!

It is obviously impossible to please all of the people all of the time, so we just "do our best" and hope that we get it right most of the time. I genuinely feel that we've done not to bad on that score...

But, I've decided that I'm going to be taking a bit of a break at the end of this contest.
I think I need a wee bit of time to "re-charge" the old batteries and get my enthusiasm back up to par!

Will keep you all posted.

cheers,

G

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Thanks Gordi

You deserve a break.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join