It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Valve Teases New VR Headset , Wake up Mr.Freeman, Wake up and smell the ashes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
On friday Valve released an image of their long rumoured VR headset , the reveal follows a leak a few months ago detailing the headset.
The picture shows the headset with a tagline of " Upgrade Your Experience " and date of May 2019 , it's unclear as to whether that is a full reveal date or release date.

store.steampowered.com...

So , Valve + VR = Half Life.
Other VR headsets are available so Valve need something to make their headset stand out from the crowd , what better than to bundle it with a new Half Life VR game !

You know it makes sense.
Take my money GabeN.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
All Hail Glorius Lord GabeN!

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The way things are going now... All you'll need is a cloud service and either a decent monitor/tv screen and or VR goggles. Video cards and PCs might be totally unnecessary for the gaming world.

I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I like the idea of not needing to spend 1500 bucks every couple years for a new video card and another couple hundred for a motherboard and another couple hundred from memory and a CPU.... you get the point. Though I do actually enjoy being able to build my own rigs. That's a sweet sense of accomplishment.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Blasphemous console heresy!

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Gordon. We've missed you.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
They should just call the headset "Half Life 3"
Will it be time to cash out all my CSGO skins for something tangible? WE shall see

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Question is... will it be able to compete with the occulus quest?

Vive is releasing a new stand alone set too... just a cool $800

VR is the only way gaming can go now...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

sadly, it's not even console. It's all cloud on demand.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

DO you have a source about this?

I have thought about this idea. Amazon,for one sells computing power over cloud. A new service is their offering AI computing.
SO couldn't they have GPUS doing all the work for your gaming? Something like those Steam boxes could connect the superpowered cloud computers to your TV and controller.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

Google's Stadia is exactly what stallion is talking about, unless someone else is also coming out with something similar.

Unfortunately, about 50% of the US has horrible internet speeds and won't be able to use this type of system yet.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 04:05 AM
link   
But can it play Crisis?

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Half life 3 confirmed?

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Blasphemous console heresy!

PC master race ftw

But seriously, valve games are made for VR. Just had to wait for technology to catch up.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: thov420

Google's Stadia is exactly what stallion is talking about, unless someone else is also coming out with something similar.

Unfortunately, about 50% of the US has horrible internet speeds and won't be able to use this type of system yet.

Meh don't worry, i'm sure google will abandon stadia and it can join its fellow projects in the google graveyard
edit on 1/4/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

The input lag would be horrific, not a good idea at all for a good gaming experience.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ecapsretuo

DO you have a source about this?

I have thought about this idea. Amazon,for one sells computing power over cloud. A new service is their offering AI computing.
SO couldn't they have GPUS doing all the work for your gaming? Something like those Steam boxes could connect the superpowered cloud computers to your TV and controller.

Something like this?

I don't think this will be the death of the gaming PC, but some will go this route I'm sure. As for me cloud computing relies on too many things for me to access my data. The cloud will never be a replacement to local storage for those not looking to set themselves up for a fall.

edit on 1-4-2019 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
Half life 3 confirmed?

Absolutely !
Well not officially but if we all believe hard enough it's bound to happen.

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Yeah... Every time I run an update on my nVidia card

nVidia isn't the only one. There are multiple companies that are doing this. Some like Dish network and some cable companies have already done this in some very small part.

Look up "Gaming on Demand" or "Cloud Gaming".

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: StallionDuck

The input lag would be horrific, not a good idea at all for a good gaming experience.

Not sure how it works. Maybe sorta like the old Dragons Layer. The only data you may be sending them is the buttons you're pressing and it has some chopped up playback. I have no idea though. I never really looked into the tech behind it. I don't like the idea. I don't like to "rent" anything. That's as bad as putting out beta games as fully released, filled with bugs. That also seems to be the common trend these days.

Pay for Pre-Beta! Save 10% of 60$ and end up spending hundreds of $$$ for early access special weapons that you would normally have to work for. But NEVER make the mistake and call it Pay to Play. Fanboi's will troll you!

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The Valve Index headset has been revealed and will launch 28th June and cost £689.00 which includes a pair of controllers.
store.steampowered.com...

This chap got to go hands on with it.

Yep , I'm tempted.

Valve have said later this year they will release a flagship VR title ..... Half Life VR ?

edit on 1-5-2019 by gortex because: add

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join