It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Government puts their foot on the brakes for speeders

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've always questioned why, here in the US, the number 1 cause of death on the road is speeding yet speeders do so willingly, not under the influence, and they don't have restrictions on their speed when busted, just a ticket, never criminalized unless it's like EGREGIOUSLY over the limit, and/or kills somewhat whereas DUI's require a breathalyzer, often after the 1st offense, and is considered criminal.
Probably that will be next, EVERYONE gets to blow in a tube before they drive.

edit to add" certainly not in favor of DUI, but if harm reduction is the #1 goal lawmakers are being hypocritical in their application of punishment. I say make 0.0 BAC the norm for everyone, stop the judges' 3 martini lunches in their tracks too - because you know us common filthy drunks are an easy scapegoat and a REAL moneymaker so they won't implement zero tolerance on that issue.
edit on 31-3-2019 by thegeneraldisarray because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I could see this being a thing in the far distant future when all motorways are fully automated. I don't think they could implement this safely now. I personally don't like the thought of any vehicle controlling my driver inputs such as acceleration and braking. I know they have them with their cameras and all, just not a big fan. The self-driving cars wreck frequently enough, I've read.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray
I've always questioned why, here in the US, the number 1 cause of death on the road is speeding...

Except it isn't, it's distracted driving followed by driver fatigue.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

USDOT data suggests that drunk driving and unbelted deaths eek out speeding related deaths.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

I guess the question remains, how far are we willing to go in allowing government to enact safety measures?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I guess the question remains, how far are we willing to go in allowing government to enact safety measures?

Until every child is covered in bubble wrap. Trust me, this works.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Until every child is covered in bubble wrap. Trust me, this works.

It also protects from freezer burn, but I digress. . . .

It bothers me, knowing how inept government is, to trust them with anything more complex than a box of used popsicle sticks and a small container of Elmer's glue.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join