It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Release Body-Cam Video of Willie McCoy Killing, Showing Him Asleep in Car

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

Assuming that the police were at fault and should have (by law) taken other steps before shooting the man, what would you suggest happen to the cops involved?

I would like to see them charged for the crime they committed. Nothing more, nothing less.

What compensation in US Dollars would you give the family of the deceased?

$0 - I think its insulting to offer money for the life of a loved one. Instead if a settlement is granted it should be used to provide training for the police in de-escalation tactics to ensure something like this never happens again.

On the other hand, if you judged that the cops were justified in their actions do you believe that police policy or procedures could or should be changed or improved?

Playing devils advocate and assuming the cops were justified in their action, and all this is just bad optics. Then no, not really. There would be no need to change policy in that case since in that case they did nothing wrong. However I would suggest that they use this case for training purposes and task officer trainees with finding alternative work arounds.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I see a lot of people saying they should have broken the window, "use an air horn", knock on the window, fire warning shots, open the door an pull him out (IDK if it was locked). But what none of these people seem to realize, from my understanding, is that once the police arrive on the scene, they have a responsibility to de-escalate the situation and remove the threat from the public. If they had done any of that and the driver sped off (driving over curbs, the curbs in Cali are often very low, curved/sloped and can be driven over - they are a combination gutter/curb - so he might not have been "blocked in") and caused a major accident possibly killing other innocent bystanders. Would the police then be responsible for those people and had law suites against them for not removing the threat?

IDK how often these situations happen, where they need to disable cars that are in drive with someone passed out behind the wheel, but I've seen a fair number of these videos (that don't end in shooting). Maybe a way to diable the car, a quick air bag system under the axels (have to call a response team for equipment - maybe fire dept) - but then you have the chance of the person waking up and driving off causing a wreck.

As to the shooting, it looked like he reached his left hand down under the front seat, not his lap. Is he right or left handed? Was the magazine under the seat? That might show his intentions.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Before you rant on these cops.. ask yourself, what would do in that situation ?

Pull up close to him and turn on the sirens or blow an air horn.
That would wake the dead. With the sirens going, there would be less confusion on who woke me up.
edit on 31-3-2019 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

The cops could have woken him up. They could have taken that gun while keeping him covered. They could have done a lot of things except shoot him. Warning shots are NOT one of those things they should have done.

If you fire a shot not aimed and you hit someone that was not an accident. Anything that isn't a mechanical failure is negligence.

I think some are saying, firing a warning shot would wake him up.
But an air horn blasting is a lot louder and would be more effective.
Of course, maybe they may not have one on them, so have unit bring one over.
Then some would say they do not have time for that and the dude may be awake when the air horn arrives.

It looks like a lot of the problem with people killed in the past has to do with 0 patience and they want immediate compliance now.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

This was a highly unusual situation... I'll give the cops that.

But after watching the video a few times, I honestly believe that the cop who spotted the gun took advantage of the situation to kill this guy.

When he said "I'm about to break this f**king window!", he wasn't scared... he was pissed.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
As a White Guy, an Former Army Guy, and a former LEO Guy, Those asshats murdered that fella. No if ands or butts.

The way I see it, if you dont want to be tried for murder, don't become a cop with a trigger finger, something to prove or a belly full of fear. That job should be reserved for the compassionate, PERIOD.

I don't understand why police officers stand behind 'Protect and Serve' when that's not what they do at all. And this coming from an X Cop who enjoyed his job...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

Why on Earth would you wake him up before securing the weapon and turning off the car?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

This was a highly unusual situation... I'll give the cops that.

But after watching the video a few times, I honestly believe that the cop who spotted the gun took advantage of the situation to kill this guy.

When he said "I'm about to break this f**king window!", he wasn't scared... he was pissed.

Exactly. For you and joe blow citizen, that showed intent and premeditation. That means Murder 1, no passing go, strait up Electric Chair in many states.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: ausername

They will always demand that, it's possible for someone to be shot and then come to and shoot.

After 5 cops emoty their clips into the car where the guy was sitting? How much of a chance is there that all 5 of those cops all emptying their clips into that car, that all of them missed badly enough that he could still pop up, aim and shoot them?

I think they all shoot so there is less guilt in not knowing who made the lethal shot and they are all in it together.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: jacobe001

Why on Earth would you wake him up before securing the weapon and turning off the car?

You have 5 cops with gun point on him when he wakes up.
If securing the weapon is the only concern, then just admit a death sentence is the only outcome in this.

Tell me how you plan on securing the weapon on a person waking up from their slumber, clutching their surroundings as they wake up without killing them?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
really cuz from what i saw the video doesn't show clearly what he was doin with his hands or gun, but im sure such a brave person like you wouldn't panic . im sure dude was messed up on drugs and awoke to think he was bein car jacked , and probably first instinct was not my benz. i say police acted appropriate , if you're not responsible enough to not pass out in a drive thru with a gun on your lap , you're not responsible enough to own firearms. im sure it was legal too.

link   
really cuz from what i saw the video doesn't show clearly what he was doin with his hands or gun, but im sure such a brave person like you wouldn't panic . im sure dude was messed up on drugs and awoke to think he was bein car jacked , and probably first instinct was not my benz. i say police acted appropriate , if you're not responsible enough to not pass out in a drive thru with a gun on your lap , you're not responsible enough to own firearms. im sure it was legal too.

link   

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Cops are trigger happy.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Wtf...are you serious ? De-escalate the situation ?? How much more de-escalated can it be then the guy is passed out in the seat of his car ???

And all these officers can do to fix the situation is surround the car with guns and shoot the guy ?

There we have removed the obstruction to your drive-thru window you can resume selling tacos now.....what the f*** has this country come to ?

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Ehmm, you do know that firing bullets into the air can land on the head of some innocent person minding his own business miles away, don't you? That's one of the worst things one could do.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

This makes me mad. And the fact that a thread like this, asking these questions even exists makes me mad... nothing against you seattlerat.

I am mad that we live in such times where it is considered normal to ask if people think it's ok that police shot a sleeping man. A man was sleeping. And he got 2 lb of lead shot into him. And we're discussing whether that is ok.

Screw this century.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

WTF&F

And he was charged ONLY with aggravated battery?????? Aggravated battery with a bullet! He should have gotten attempted manslaughter.
edit on 31-3-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: seattlerat

My goodness.
What a bunch of cowards.
A single warning shot would be enough to deescalate the majority of these situations.

A warning shot? you mean a shot that could possibly hit someone or something else?

Where do some of you people get your logic?
From Hollywood obviously.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice that 38 seconds of footage is missing from the time they try to open the door til the time he starts to wake up?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join