It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you get actual 4k quality via wireless streaming?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If you use the netflix app on your tv, put something on you know is 4k, Altered Carbon for instance and hit the info button on your remote. They usually give you the streaming details, like mbps being used and resolution, if it hits 2160p you are getting 4k.

Most Tvs have this so I figure yours should too!

There is a very noticeable difference between 1080p and 4k, HDR can be hit and miss depending on the screen and content, but this stuff is definitely not a gimmick.

Definitely would advise looking into picture settings and doing some calibration.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
From a calibration standpoint you have a few relatively cheaper options

1. Find a site , RTINGS or AVS or something else, that has the ideal settings for each picture mode then tweak to handle ambient lighting.

2. Calibration discs can be purchased from Amazon, BB, whatever..Disney surprisingly enough puts out solid calibration disc called WOW (World of Wonder).. Spears and Munsil also put out a good calibration disc.. Both of these can be had for under $50. You will inevitably get the AV snob that will say "Disney WOW is junk" but those are the same people that thing spending $13k on a 1 meter interconnect makes a difference on their Sonos Sound bar.. The WOW disc is a great place to start for entry level calibration while the S and M disc is more advanced.

DIsney WOW disc here: www.amazon.com...

S and M disc here: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?crid=21U108LZD2OXR&keywords=disney+wow+calibration+disc&qid=1 554050423&s=gateway&sprefix=disney+wow%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-2

3. Get a light meter and higher grade software then practice and learn.. THis will be a few hundred in cash.

4. Pay for an AV professional to do it..This will nbe most expensive.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Also, look for calibration gear on eBay if one is interested.

Can save A LOT of money that way. SpectrCal C6 and AVFoundry pattern generators can go for ~$50. Which is.. a very good deal!

As for 4k TST, gotta make sure you are actually dealing with a 4k signal to begin with. I'd say for most people's eyes, the difference should be VERY obvious. But, some wont be able to tell, and they might as well save their money.

Either way, I think your options are to either learn about it yourself (there are a ton of resources) or hire a professional.

I think the first step would be identifying what signal you ARE getting, and go from there. Sometimes its as simple as the TV automatically selecting a previous version of HDMI for an input, or something equally innocuous. I'm not entirely sure, but there might also be some compression going on (I don't use streaming services).

If you have a direct 4k source, that can help in troubleshooting as well as giving a good idea on what it should look like.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Yup well said and agree.

You can have a top of the line 8k unit but if you are feeding it a SD their is only so much upscaling that can be done.

YouTube has some great 4k HDR clips to test with.
Plenty of ways to skin this cat just need to realize that settings and ambient light will Def play a part in that equation.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Hmm, decided to look and all that yummy gear is gone now. Some of the sellers I follow seemed to have a lot of stock, but I suppose it was only a matter of time at those prices (listings were up for months though!).

Got myself a SpectraCal C6 and videoforge pattern Gen for less than $100 total (!) though. No software, but that's all right.

Somebody probably bought the whole lot for resale. Thought about that myself..

I've never used YouTube for 4k (4k player and PC gaming for me), do you feel the compression affects the quality much?

I really think that most people don't really understand how much a proper calibration can bring to the experience. In the same vein, most don't quite grasp how tricky this stuff can get either.

But.. for some basic stuff like getting it up and running (
), some color correction, and some audio fiddlin' there are such, such good resources out there.
edit on 31-3-2019 by Serdgiam because: Oh ATS, you shenaniganiner you..

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I was reading in one of the AVS posts how SpectraCal is supposed to be putting out a cheaper version of the software to go with light meters.

That should be interesting if its not too feature crippled.

I personally dont see any compression on the YouTube 4k channels (HDR or SDR) . There are actually a few channels I use off of it as reference sequences when Im doing work. Will link those tomorrow.

Agreed 100% on the impact even entry level calibrating has on a picture. SOE (Soap Opera Effect) is typically on out of the box with the different MI settings and whole that servers a very targeted purpose it's not always desirable for normal viewing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join