It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson, next on the chopping block. racist.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

He could free his slaves, lose all his influence, his freed slaves would have no way to support themselves, and nothing would change. Then the slaves would be even worse off. Or he can use his power and influence, treat his slaves well, and work to end slavery and free them in such a way that they have a future.

Not dark at all in context.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Why not? Was slavery, rape, murder, pedophilia, and other atrocities okay because standards of past societies accepted it?

Those standards weren't okay for the people suffering such acts. I'm not saying we should erase history, but to i would not say that Jefferson or other slave owners were "good" men because slavery was legal.

Now if one threw their sh!t in the street, I'm not going to judge them because that was a custom back in the day. However, I believe there are universal principles of right and wrong. Inflicting suffering on others for the benefit of oneself has always been wrong.

And if we don't have some set of universal principles, then we are just slaves to the whims of society. Blowing in any direction that society decides.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

it's only a mater of time before they come for George.
edit on 30-3-2019 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's hard to know if his slaves felt they would rather be in the supposed good company of Jefferson than be freed.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's interesting. It seemed he did good for the life he was born into as an 11 year old slave owner.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: karl 12

No they'll ignore inconvenient truths.

But surely they cannot have it both ways and surely these people are sincere in their beliefs (with no active agenda).

originally posted by: blueman12

Yea.. the left is going too far too fast. They are going to alienate everyone in their quest to please every far left liberal.

Yes, let's hope so.

originally posted by: blueman12

I'm usually on the side of "progressive" rights and ideas, but now alot of presidential candidates are talking about black reperations..

Here's an interesting fact involved in the reparation controversy - where does it start and where does it end?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Whether they would or not is debatable. He believed it was worse to cut slaves free without first giving them education and tools to take care of themselves. What is not debatable is that he campaigned tirelessly to free the slaves in a manner he thought was best for them.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

can you explain that?
i do not know much about hamilton, but if he was pro-deep state, no wonder that twerp in nyc made a 'hit' broadway play about him.
(btw- lin-manuela's dad worked for the mayor and he was so connected, hence his rise to fame)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I blame Adam, personally.. what a schmuck..

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

can you explain that?
i do not know much about hamilton, but if he was pro-deep state, no wonder that twerp in nyc made a 'hit' broadway play about him.
(btw- lin-manuela's dad worked for the mayor and he was so connected, hence his rise to fame)

War between England & France.

Washington wanted to remain neutral in that war.

Hamilton and Jefferson wanted America to get involved. Jefferson supported France and Hamilton supported England.

Jefferson followed Washington's wishes and remained neutral...while Hamilton secretly fed info to England regarding Washington's decisions and thinking on the conflict.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Yeah people Jefferson was a racist.

Even though many of his descendent's are 'black'.

What kind of logic is that? There's plenty of guys who are racists and still end up sleeping with women from other races.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Another prime example of idiot children, taught by idiot teachers, in an idiotic school system. I used to feel sorry for these kids. I've been to liberal, "RAN" colleges myself and know how they function. Don't actually teach anything worthwhile just pump them full of bul(sh!t and get em ready to destroy themselves. Let's destroy statues so we feel better and the world is less racist, gimme a break Tide Pod Padawans.
edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: Edited for editing.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

He could free his slaves, lose all his influence, his freed slaves would have no way to support themselves, and nothing would change. Then the slaves would be even worse off. Or he can use his power and influence, treat his slaves well, and work to end slavery and free them in such a way that they have a future.

Not dark at all in context.

Actually, it was illegal for him to free his slaves.

Virginia laws forbid it.

Which is why he spent the last half of his life trying to change the laws of the state.

So it wasn't a matter of choice.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Ligyron

What kind of logic is to go around white washing American history because some peoples feeling get hurt?

History is history.

People should learn from it instead of pointing fingers.
edit on 30-3-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

So Hamilton colluded with a foreign power and this is the guy the left celebrates?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So Hamilton colluded with a foreign power and this is the guy the left celebrates?

To music....Yes.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think what really needs to be said about all this is that when you look at historical figures (especially ones that died ages ago) they were all products of their times. And whatever their politics and ideals, their contribution to history eventually brought us to where we are today.

The kind of racism that existed in those days is long gone in the US and Jefferson's contributions to the future helped make that happen (whether he meant to or not).

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The radical left Taliban strike again .

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Maybe it's racist to remove racist statues because "classification" and "columnism" is racist 😎

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I think what really needs to be said about all this is that when you look at historical figures (especially ones that died ages ago) they were all products of their times. And whatever their politics and ideals, their contribution to history eventually brought us to where we are today.

The kind of racism that existed in those days is long gone in the US and Jefferson's contributions to the future helped make that happen (whether he meant to or not).

There's that...and the fact that not a single person complaining about any of this today has ever been a slave and likely has zero actual idea of what slavery is. Oh and they likely organized and tweet about these events using phones and computers made by actual current slaves living in appalling conditions....

It's funny how you never see them tearing down Apple stores.
edit on 30/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join