It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food cost, stores closing, part time jobs for both husband and wife and people now living in tents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

well, Seatle, Portland, San Fran definitely have some tent/ tarp action going on.

They also don't qualify as 'almost all major cities' as the Original Poster stated.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
We need to understand the companies and corporations are mindless entities that follow the least path of resistance to profit. Think of it as a boat floating down a moving river, where that river takes it it will go.

1. If people are unwilling to pay an extra 20c a pound for their fruits and veggies then cheap labor with illegal aliens will be used.
2. If the Government allows products to be made cheaper on the other side of the planet then that is where products will be made.
3. If American people want the lowest price for products without a care where they are made then they get what they ask for.

We can control the river of profit and change its direction anytime we want to. As example, make it more expensive to produce Apple Phones in China compared to at least anywhere in the Americas and factories will spring up over night in this part of the world. It is such a simple concept, but when Trump talks about changing bad deals and incorporating tariffs etc to change the profit river direction everyone complains the cost of their IPhones will go up, or their Apple Stock will go down. And of course MAGA is so racist... When people complain about the lack of jobs they can just suck it...

The first thing we need to do is stop being such a consumer society that wants it all, wants it now and at the lowest prices.

edit on 29-3-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Is it ceos or politicians allowing overseas investments and the public buying cheap products. It’s consumption that drives the market..

It's a true axis of evil, ceos, majority shareholders and politicians all working together to do away with supply and demand economics.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I live outside Manhattan and I'm there regularly, I have yet to see one tent city in Manhattan.

Perhaps tent cities of New York can be found in Staten Island or The Bronx.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot
Perhaps tent cities of New York can be found in Staten Island or The Bronx.

Uh, no. If you'd been to either you'd know exactly why it wouldn't happen for each borough.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

well, Seatle, Portland, San Fran definitely have some tent/ tarp action going on.

They also don't qualify as 'almost all major cities' as the Original Poster stated.

The vast majority of people living in tent cities have much bigger issues than losing their job to find themselves on the streets, though it happens it not the primary reason.

With that said so many Americans live above their means and so they live pay check to pay check and I'm not talking just the poor who seems to do better living within their means then so many others who actually make good money. I know people who make more than 250k a years and are 1 pay check from the streets.

If we look around the world we see people within the middle class sharing living areas in a multiple family environment, they share expenses and have only what they need with a sprinkling of what they desire mixed in. They have practical transportation that meets the needs of the group and not everyone having their own car. The synergy and collective pooling of earnings provides a consistent living environment even through bad times.

In America so many want a new car every few years and 800+ a month continuous payment per car their whole lives is just fine with them, not to mention the increase in insurance. People see single living as a right and not a privilege, they have every form of electronics they can get their hands on and 1000 bucks for a new IPhone to replace the 2 year old one that works perfectly fine is just what the doctor ordered. Lets eat out most of the time and spend 100 bucks a week just on our coffee...

If people Truly lived within their means the bumps in the road of life would be much smaller...

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The one exceptional country where poorer areas do not take the brunt of deprivation?

So where in New York do the homeless go to create makeshift shelters?

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot
So where in New York do the homeless go to create makeshift shelters?

There are homeless shelters, there are no tent cities.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
The vast majority of people living in tent cities have much bigger issues than losing their job to find themselves on the streets...

That is why I mentioned mentall illness as the primary cause. It isn't primarily the issues the Original Poster claims.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

There are homeless shelters, there are no tent cities.

Though I would not use the term "city" this below is rather typical in most larger cities.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That's San Fran which was mentioned earlier.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

You need to explore why that is. What policies are in place that make it easier and cheaper to export labor? It's not solely a direct comparison. Usually, there are considerations of regulation and taxation and benefits and other such things that finally tip the scale to make it actually cheaper to relocate your manufacturing to an entirely different country and pay all of the attendant costs and deal with attendant headaches that come with it.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That's San Fran which was mentioned earlier.

I'm not naming cites just saying that is a typical example

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I actually think places like Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are atypical examples. It's a combination of climate and failed policies.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Yeah I'm sure your business travels take you through the finer parts of the cities you visit. Just because you can't see the tent cites from your hotel or Applebee's doesn't mean they don't exist.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: gr8skott

Yeah I'm sure your business travels take you through the finer parts of the cities you visit. Just because you can't see the tent cites from your hotel or Applebee's doesn't mean they don't exist.

My travels take me to all parts of the cities I visit because people use our products pretty much everywhere. There are enough people on this site who have met and can confirm what I'm saying.

And who the eff eats at Applebee's?

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I actually think places like Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are atypical examples. It's a combination of climate and failed policies.

The failed policies is to promote homeless friendly city without providing any infrastructure to support them, so they come and have nothing. I live near Portland BTW

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Food cost are very high, this is because of labor cost and transportation cost

Very "unfinished equation". You haven't factored in commodities futures affecting costs, or price gouging by manufacturer's simply because they can or of prices in overseas markets.

food for thought: the lottery is taking millions of dollars away from the economy, I know, i see it even in this country. get rid of the lotteries and the economy will rebound

Get rid of money printing - or slow down the creation of new money until demand slows. If you get rid of lotteries people will gamble on other get rich quick avenues, like the races etc

Are the CEO's of their country patriots. My answer is NO. I've seen the CEO's here in this country sell out their employees to bring their manufacturing jobs to other countries.

Since when did CEO's have to sign a commitment to serve you rather than their shareholders?

Another consideration - with out cheap labour ( I assume you're talking about USA ), you wouldnt have plates of food in restaurants that are heaped twice as high than other western countries for the same price.

Are your politicians serving the American people or their own lobbying groups or Companies that they've got a shareholding in.

Here's a solution thats been suggested many times. Its not like the US can be invaded and held on to for long by a sea invasion. Cut down your military budget by about 30% and there would be no "tent cities". The only problem being that you would also have to spend on helping people get better.

Oh no - universal healthcare - communism - no no no

Back to Patriots - wars are fought by US corporations for loot from invading overseas countries for oil etc. Has any of that really worked its way in to the wealth of the nation, or is it being concentrated by the very wealthy.

They're using your taxation ( military spend/high taxes ) to further their profits.

Patriotism is a fluid word.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

well said

I know the value of the money left over after the bills are paid though. It does not matter how much you make, it is what is left at the end of the month that you have to look at

The not so secret secret to success is you pay yourself 1st out of every paypacket.
Then you pay the bills ( also constantly price better deals etc )
By that you invest for the future, then you pay the bills. Start young enough with a plan and you usually are debt free in 15-20 years.

Invest in knowledge, training, business, tax law etc. The dream is still attainable,

Cut back on those takeaway meals and coffees, cook at home. But I know you know this already

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

well said

The first thing we need to do is stop being such a consumer society that wants it all, wants it now and at the lowest prices.

and wants it bigger and with "bells and whistles bigger than my neighbours". Materialism is like a drug, you need more and more, it will never satisfy the void. The ego/reptilian part of the brain. The "fear" of missing out.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

and wants it bigger and with "bells and whistles bigger than my neighbours". Materialism is like a drug, you need more and more, it will never satisfy the void. The ego/reptilian part of the brain. The "fear" of missing out.

Trust me I know... I live in a 5000 sq ft house and I'm going to head in the other direction once my kids are out that smaller is better, I have gone in that direction as you explain and I have come to realize I don't like it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join