It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wet food or not

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Malisa

I mix mine, mostly contains spoiled poultry and chicken bones...........

As long as the chicken bones are raw, they won’t hurt them.

I actually did not know that.

I always thought chicken bones in general are a bad idea. Looks like the joke I made didn’t stick too well.
Always next time

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

A friend of mine raises championship pit bulls. Their diet includes raw chicken parts and whole fish carcasses. He mixes certain vegetables in with that.
edit on b000000312019-03-29T06:49:23-05:0006America/ChicagoFri, 29 Mar 2019 06:49:23 -0500600000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I raised and trained professional hunting dogs for over 20 years (mostly Labradors and upland dogs). So, a couple things...

1. All dry dog food is NOT garbage, and anyone who says this isn't very informed on dry dog food. The stuff you find in the grocery store is generally garbage, but so is the wet food you find in the grocery store. There are decent brands of dry dog food, and dry dog food is good for a dog.

2. Domesticated dogs are not wild dogs, so the belief you should feed a domesticated dog exclusively what they would eat in the wild is nonsense. I would ask those people if they've ever seen a wild dog in real life? Their life expectancy is well short of half that of a domesticated dog.

3. Dry dog food helps with one of the major issues elderly dogs have...bad teeth. A diet of only wet food will lead to dental problems in virtually all dogs at some point. Dry food combats this. Now, you don't have to feed a dog exclusively dry food, but rather a combination (dry food with a little bit of wet food mixed in). This way, they get a treat and they also get the benefits in the dental area.

One of the biggest issues with dry food is lack of variety. People get in a rut with their dog food and wind up buying the same food for years. So, wet food mixed in provides variety as an added bonus. Plus, it's good to rotate brands of quality dry food regularly too. Not humans nor dogs would want to eat the same thing over and over, forever, so variety is good.

Yes, there are dog food purists out there (dog food snobs, perhaps). I guess if that trips your trigger then go for it, but know it's not going to be inexpensive.

I don't work for a dog food company, but I have a pretty successful history with very healthy dogs.

If you would like some dry dog food brand suggestions, I'd be glad to point out some good brands.
edit on 3/29/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Here is a tip from a healthy Gordon setter owner..

Use dry foods only and mix a spoonful of butter into the bowl.

Oh and when you buy dry foods.. remember to buy "allergic friendly" food.
That will prevent your dog from itching, that 90% of all dogs suffer under.

And to prevent future hip problems, you can add four drops of salmon oil.

But beware.. when you start adding the spoon of butter to that dry food.. it will love you like a king, and it will demand butter in its food forever.

And a moderate amount of butter is not only good for its appetite.. its good for joints and general happiness.

Ohhh.. and let me add this.. Chicken and chocolate will kill your dog, and wet food will give it running ass and sick ass.
edit on 29-3-2019 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm not a dog expert, but I know with cats there are a few reasons why you might choose to feed your cat wet over dry.

For one, cats tend to sometimes not drink enough water being adapted for more arid climates by nature in some cases. So if you feet them wet, they tend to get a good amount of their water from the food and you have to worry less about whether or not they're drinking enough water. Anyone who's owned a cat can tell that they can be picky about where and how they will drink. I know that sounds funny when some cats drink out of the toilet, but believe me, that's the degree of pickiness ... that may be the only source of water they will take, just like some will only drink out of faucets or your aquarium!

Another reason is that some cats have an issue where they won't feel fulfilled on dry kibble, so they eat, and eat, and eat, and never feel full. This leads to horribly obese cats or cats that constantly beg for or try to poach your food. Feeding wet food as a meal source can help cut this tendency. I know this is true because we have one of those cats right now. She gets half her daily allowance in wet, and the other half is high-quality, grain-free dry (price isn't as bad when you strictly measure out her portions), and she still begs like she's starving. She's not.

As for your dog, the wet is what she is used to. I wouldn't abruptly change any pet from one item to another. It can cause stomach and digestive upset. While dry food is probably just fine for the dog, make sure the changeover is gradual so her system has time to adjust. Also make sure that whatever dry you feed is a high quality one and not just the cheapest one you can find to chuck into her puppy pie hole. And when you pass her back to her owner, make sure you also have enough of what she's eating at that point so that her owner can swap her back if that's what's preferred.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I concur, I wouldn't make any dramatic changes in the dog's diet, particularly if you don't know if you will be keeping the dog. However, if you will be keeping the dog, you might consider gradually working some dry dog food into his diet.

That's all.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

NEVER feed a dog chicken bones; raw or not. Many pups like raw veggies so a little a day as a snack are great.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My dogs have always had home-made wet food, with biscuit mixer. This gives variety and all the necessary goodness they need for active lives. Cannot imagine how boring dry food is for dogs. Oh, and they get a scrambled egg in the morning.

We food made from butchers off-cuts, end-of-life vegetables and rice. All stewed into a mush. Cheap, easy to make and good for the dogs.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa

originally posted by: rickymouse
We just have cats, and they usually eat mostly dry food, but we do treat them to wet food in the morning. I put some special minerals in the cats food for breakfast, they seem to do pretty well with what I give them.

The youngest cat, completely blind and about three years old, loves grassmilk and Bacon. That cat eats more bacon than the wife and I eat together, over half a pound winds up going to the cat spread out over a couple of days. But it's fir has got nice and soft now since it started to eat the bacon, it used to be really course. That blind cat will climb right into the refrigerator since we started giving him bacon, we have to watch that he is not in there before closing the door.

LOL that sounds fun, i can't even imagine having a cat, much less a blind one

If he gets excited, he runs into things. If there is a lot of sound like a blender or mixer going, he comes around, bumps into things, and gets all meowy. During a thunderstorm, he is hiding under the reclining chair all the time. He supposedly cannot see anything at all, but his sonar is pretty good, so is his memory. When he jumps off of something, he sometimes jumps into things and gets all messed up. I feel he is using some sort of echo location sometimes because he will meow and be looking around if he is confused where he is, especially when you carry him from one room to another because he does not know his starting point unless he has reference.

I read that blind cats do do all right when they are young, but usually they do not live too long, they can get hurt as their memory fails and they have a harder time finding their food and litter box as they age.

Did the cat learned the layout of the house and where everything is so he can move around on its own? That's awesome! I never had a pet before, but my cousin had plenty growing up so i got to have some fun through her, but i'm pretty sure is not the same thing, there must be some special intimacy between owners and pets than between pets and family of the owners, i think i have seen that

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Stay with the wet but buy a small bag of dry to try it on. Put the dry in a separate bowl and if he will eat it, great but don't go all dry on the little bugger. Just remember, a small dog needs a small dry food. Go to pets mart and talk to people there. Better yet, call a vet for advice.

No, dogs do not need dry food, and the people at PETSMART are NOT the people to get advice from.

Keep him on the wet food. Making big changes to food suddenly can tax a dog's system, not to mention the stress he is already under. Keep the food the same. Once he's older you can very very gradually switch to dry food by (as another member suggested) adding a small bit of dry food to his wet food and add a bit more every few days, but very very gradually. A sudden switch in food can cause all types of problems. If you add in that he's just a baby, it would be even worse for him.

Thanks for taking care of the lil baby. Dogs are a GIFT, so keep caring for him with love and consistency. He will feel most secure with a consistent schedule. Where does he stay when you are at work or out? Where is he sleeping at night?

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Stay with the wet but buy a small bag of dry to try it on. Put the dry in a separate bowl and if he will eat it, great but don't go all dry on the little bugger. Just remember, a small dog needs a small dry food. Go to pets mart and talk to people there. Better yet, call a vet for advice.

No, dogs do not need dry food, and the people at PETSMART are NOT the people to get advice from.

Keep him on the wet food. Making big changes to food suddenly can tax a dog's system, not to mention the stress he is already under. Keep the food the same. Once he's older you can very very gradually switch to dry food by (as another member suggested) adding a small bit of dry food to his wet food and add a bit more every few days, but very very gradually. A sudden switch in food can cause all types of problems. If you add in that he's just a baby, it would be even worse for him.

Thanks for taking care of the lil baby. Dogs are a GIFT, so keep caring for him with love and consistency. He will feel most secure with a consistent schedule. Where does he stay when you are at work or out? Where is he sleeping at night?

Thanks, i think i'll just keep with the same food, i just did not know enough and for some reason had this idea that they need dry food and wet food is only occasional but seems like i was wrong

I'm out most of the morning but there is always someone at home, my mom has a home office so she's around. The dog roams freely inside the house. For sleep at night i got her a bed but is no use, it won't sleep unless it's next to someone on their own bed. My cousin was allowing the dog on the bed at night and i don't know i should change that at this point

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Reply to:

Melisa

I would recommend you not to change a diet. But still,if you want to try some solid food you should make it slowly and in small potions. As a chihuahua owner, i would recommend you Purina One SmartBlend.I've started to give this food to my dog since 10 month,he is almost 3 years now and i haven't seen any problems with stomach. So, try to read this PetsTiger article

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Imo no dog should eat wet food most of the time.

I feed my dogs with Taste of the Wild. It's the best I could find.

A dog that small would be cheap to feed the highest quality as well.

Avoid any chicken bones like someone ignorantly said..jesus

Cooked meats are highly carcinogenic to dogs, they don't process the protein the same way as humans.

To transition to dry food, just add water to the food. Use less and less, until it's used to dry.

You can throw it some single pieces like treats to get used to eating solid foods.

I also don't give my dog tap water, it has too much crap in it I'm not going to experiment with.

Get the dog off the catfood.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Thanks, i think i'll just keep with the same food, i just did not know enough and for some reason had this idea that they need dry food and wet food is only occasional but seems like i was wrong

I'm out most of the morning but there is always someone at home, my mom has a home office so she's around. The dog roams freely inside the house. For sleep at night i got her a bed but is no use, it won't sleep unless it's next to someone on their own bed. My cousin was allowing the dog on the bed at night and i don't know i should change that at this point

Oh, wonderful!! That makes me so happy. Dogs just want to be with their pack and they are happiest and whole when they live with their people. It sounds like you are providing a wonderful home for him.

Do you have any pictures for us? I bet he is a tiny adorable munchkin!

I have three small dogs and don't know what I would do without them. They all sleep on my bed but they are small, so they hardly take up any space and it makes them happy and secure.

My sister's husband got a lab against her wishes several years ago. The dog lived outside in a small fenced-in area with a doghouse to go into when it raines or snowed, etc. It broke my heart. Her husband died a year and a half ago, and the dog became a HUGE comfort to my sister. She now lives pretty much indoors and she sleeps every night on my sister's bed. Now when I go visit I get to see a happy dog who is part of the family now. 😊😊😊

Post some pics if you can! 😊

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Oh, wonderful!! That makes me so happy. Dogs just want to be with their pack and they are happiest and whole when they live with their people. It sounds like you are providing a wonderful home for him.

Do you have any pictures for us? I bet he is a tiny adorable munchkin!

I have three small dogs and don't know what I would do without them. They all sleep on my bed but they are small, so they hardly take up any space and it makes them happy and secure.

My sister's husband got a lab against her wishes several years ago. The dog lived outside in a small fenced-in area with a doghouse to go into when it raines or snowed, etc. It broke my heart. Her husband died a year and a half ago, and the dog became a HUGE comfort to my sister. She now lives pretty much indoors and she sleeps every night on my sister's bed. Now when I go visit I get to see a happy dog who is part of the family now. 😊😊😊

Post some pics if you can! 😊

Terrible sorry to hear about your sister's husband. Have not been on that situation or remotely close to it, i am sure it must be a terrible experience to go through, but glad she's better now

I always liked dogs but at my house it was simply a no go while i was growing up, my cousin's household however had plenty of pets over the years and that's how i would spend entire days and weekends over there, just to play with the dogs lol

By the way it's actually a she, her name is Polly

Something i realized as soon as i had her in my care is, it's very easy to spend time with dogs, playing around and walking them to the park and such. However.. from play time to actually having to take care of one as a living being? Making sure there's enough food, water, a good place to play/nap, is she sick? is she sad? It's like having a baby! LOL
edit on 29-3-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I would absolutely not recommend changing not just a dog's, but any animal's diet without knowing why they're on that diet in the first place, and definitely not abruptly.
Assuming there's no health/dietary issues, swap just a little out at a time every few days over the course of several weeks, it's the most gentle on their stomachs. This is a general rule of thumb for any animal, slow & steady wins the transition race. It's worked for our cat, bird, and rabbit, and the Boston Terrier I had years ago.

Dogs are damn odd animals. They can eat another animal's crap or vomit pile no problem, but change their food around, and all digestive hell breaks loose.

You'll do fine, don't get worked up over much. Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't feed human junk food, and be extremely cautious with fruits and veggies as treats. For example, never feed grapes/raisins because they're toxic to dogs, and so are onions.

It would probably be well worth your while to search for some forums for dog owners as opposed to just posting here. I personally lurk on a number of rabbit forums for anything I still have questions about. They're quite helpful, I've brought a number of questions to our vet I'd have never otherwise thought to ask before.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Did you even read my post? I did say keep the bugger on wet food. Right? I just suggested placing a bowl of dry next to his regular diet and if he will eat it, fine.
I think I also advised to, "BETTER YET", call and ask a VET....

You must not have read my post too closely to have rejected my advice so blatantly.

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

You're so great to be concerned enough to do the best you can by this dog. Thank you so much.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Wet food is normally superior to dry food, so you’re off to an excellent start. The correct food can assist your cat to keep its perfect weight. Many low-quality dry foods include a lot of fillers.

Diet wise you might want to raise its fiber intake. Many will have to be coaxed with a savory diet so as to hold healthful body weight. Generally, regardless of what the form of indoor cat food product that you will select, always keep in mind that all cats will often desire a diet that’s low in carbs and fat but high in protein.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My Cat Pud Pud, loves dry food but i can not give it to her, it causes Urinary Tract Cystitis, she was feral, so to get treatment she needs putting to sleep for treatment or else goes like a Tasmanian Devil!!!
This costs money, in UK can cost up to £100,00 pounds!
Not all cats have a problem with dry food but some do!
catinfo.org...
I'm not sure for a dog, but as a joke i would recommend "King Cuts", as i study the ancient Egyptian religion, Ha Ha!
www.youtube.com...

edit on 3-5-2019 by Astronomer62 because: adding info

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join