It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you read long posts? Please vote!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hello! Please vote whether you read posts that appear to be long. I'm sure there are some "it depends", would love to hear those comments below in this thread (if permitted).

Thanks!
MK

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't mind reading long posts/articles, etc. For me, it does depend on the subject matter though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If the topic is interesting and the thread has a catchy opening statement then yes... It helps to split up the text into paragraphs.

Peace,

Freeze

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
But sometimes I've been known to *skim*
It all depends on who wrote it, what it's about and how they word it. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get your point across without writing a long post. I notice that most people here who write long indepth post, usually don't need to repeat themselves or explain by posting 5 more times in the same thread. Which inevitably leads to a *long post*...just broken up into many.

I don't usually read the one liners though..because I feel it's somewhat pointless to make a effort to come to a discussion board and not really 'discuss'...seems some people just like to leave their mark in posts and that's all..

Also, incase you haven't noticed, I'm a dreadful long poster...I try to not get carried away sometimes-like now-but it's difficult for me not to.
Mag

[Edited on 7/7/03 by magestica]

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm the guy who chose the middle. I read it all if it is interesting. Then if it is boring, goes on with no point in sight, or I don't have the time, I skim through it.

I think it is best to make them as small as possible and to the point.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I hate reading long articles on a computer screen. If it is interesting, I will print it out to read it.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I chose the middle option also, as it really depends on the content of the posts in question. If the post is informational or interesting I will read them. If it starts to lack purpose and goes into rambling... who would read it.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Of course, or what the hell is the point of responding then.

If you don't understand the point the poster is trying to make

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have ADHD, i cant sit still for more than 2 minutes.
Im up and about pacing through my house.
I have pills but i feel like i should overcome my need to get up and let all my engery loose in some other manner.
Its not working,
Pills to calm me down, i usualy dont have the patience to sit and read the long posts.
But i do sometimes if it interests me.
Deep

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Factors

* Interest in subject matter
* Quality of writing

Some posters havn't learned to spell, punctuate or break up sentences and paragraphs. Highly unreadable.

Their problem, or school system problem?

Same can apply to writing in linked articles as well, of course.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It really depends on the author.

I have more respect for some and will listen to them, then there are some who post a load of bull# that goes round in circles.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker
Of course, or what the hell is the point of responding then.

If you don't understand the point the poster is trying to make

That is another point. You usually see that the long-opening-post topics don't get replies often.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFreeze
If the topic is interesting and the thread has a catchy opening statement then yes... It helps to split up the text into paragraphs.

Peace,

Freeze

I agree with this post.

Help if long posts are broken into specific point and placed into paragraphs. This makes it easier to read and to skim through. The better authors here do this. I tend to start reading post's tightly packed together, lacking structure and paragraphs, and as stated by ZeroDeep, the concentration goes, and with that the motivation to finish -Skip to the next-.

I do hate the uncalled for laconic posts, especially if they lack humor or sarcasim.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
and the author, to be honest... I skim read though too (on those), so that helps.... But if I'm interested, I'll then re-read it slowly to fully absorb it...

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If im interested in the subject of course I'll read them.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am also impressed with people who refuse to be polarized and vote in the middle ground even when that option isn't labelled.

The 'extra medium' people.

new topics

top topics

join