It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer ram crazy prices / help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow what a shock i got while searching for old laptop ram for a computer project i am in the middle of at the moment , The ram in question is ancient and you would think it would be dirt cheap now but no luck with that quite the opposite .

The specs are pc 133 144 pin sdram it was from the dark ages in computing 2005 ish from early apple macs etc 512 mb yip a mighty 512 mb stick is coming in at £10 or $ 13 plus postage

Why are they so expensive

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Because nobody keeps that stuff in volume because nobody buys that stuff any more. It costs extra to keep old stuff in inventory. Low volume = high cost. I'd hate to price 16K RAM chips these days. 9 chips for 16K. One bit per chip plus a 9th for parity. In 1979 those 9 chips cost $417 in today's dollars. An Apple ][ came with 16K. If you wanted to max it out at 64K that would be an extra $1250.00 for 64K (not M, not G, but K) And you didn't just plug it in; you installed each chip individually, making very sure not to bend the pins.

So, you're getting a bargain.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Best bet would be to call a small IT shop and hope they've got something in the shed- or check goodwill.

Heck, you might be able to buy scrap on ebay by the pound that might have what you need.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Clearly you have not checked on prices of ram SINCE 2005, that stuff has cost that much since 2010.

You will not find any for cheap anywhere at all, and that is a guarantee.

People were selling them for double original cost as soon as ddr came out.

Honestly do not waste your time unless you are a collector or something, or can find some people with really old PC's laying around they forgot about like I did.....hard to find now EXTREMELY hard.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Outrageous. How much is shipping to £? I probably have a ton. Checking....

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Looks like the stuff i had in mind is 1gb 1rx8 pc2 5300f.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You can buy a laptop from the appropriate era, for less. Just find units that are broken, but still have their ram, dirt cheap that way

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I pulled lots of ram out of the computers I junked, but the stuff I had was 250s at the most. I junked a whole pickup full of old computers and parts, I still have two of them I kept to play with later, but the software is a problem, you need a lot of processor power and ram to run anything anymore. I scrapped lots of circuit boards too, I knew they contained lots of gold but gave them to a guy at the scrapyard, I will never do anything with them.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
schuyler ,lordcomac, drewlander, ParasuvO rickymouse I would love to respond to each one of you one at a time bbbbuuuttt Dementia

brilliant responses guys and girls

Now all i need is someone with a 3 D printer
I have managed to get one running sweet as a clock come computer media centre and star trek interface for years went to look for Ram and wow

The thing runs fine on 1.2 ghz with Windows stripped down or better Linux based systems but the max Ram is a max of 1 gb it seems with the processor .

Thanks again guys

To Gekking

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
nOTE TO WHO EVER FINDS THIS IN THE FUTURE

dONE IT AGAIN went on to ebay and spent $$ 250 +
yip i have a problem and it is called Ebay and stoned shopping on the net
with dementia

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Expensive because that type of RAM is ancient and obsolete in today's computers.

top topics

join