It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another night of Brexit drama

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

Treason? You need to start visiting some foreign messes to realise how good we got it back here in the mother country. Everybody is trying to break into Great Britainfor a reason, because we have it so good and that wealth that has been v=created comes from being a part of the EU, the single market that has enabled us to creat something that one can honestly and realistically call 'almost heaven.' As part of the EU we Brits have quite literally never had it so good

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm sick of this crap.

Let's just get the hell out of it and then deal with the fall out.

I'm looking forward to new Zealand lamb chops, far superior to the things we get now.

Boris Johnson can not be allowed to become Prime Minister.
The only person I can think of who is more unfit for that office is Jeremy Corbyn.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: Steveogold

Totally agree but that was back then. These days we don't send our majority products out to NZ Aus Rhodesia etc, we are massively entangled in the EU and that trade flows both ways. In many ways it is a massive shame Britain went down that route and sold the empire away but that is what our rulers did and now we are very integrated within the continent.

Wrong choice of words ...... I think you mean enslaved.

Truth be told if you give me a frog, a kraut and a greasy southern European I don't even get close to even slightly rubbing long with them, they are foreign and weird. Throw us a New Zealander, a South African and an Aussie or Canadian and it's like being part of the same family and the same humour, we actually Know each other like brothers................. But we don't do the trade with those regions so where does that leave us?

We dont trade with those regions because of the EU they make the rules

that we have to follow

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree. I'm optimistic tbh even with a hard Brexit. Let's pull up our pants and get on with it.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 03:51 AM
link   

My only point is how undemocratic this whole mess is when we have 160,000 who are basically going to be choosing the fate of the country.

Brexit has always been all about a Trorycivil war and that clown Cameron's attempt to quell it. That's all it's ever been about...

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

All the old colonials were stabbed in the bac k when we went into the EU, we ditched em then they found new markets to do their trade with, namely Asia. Being honest and realistic they aren't suddenly going to want to trade with us and ditch the massive markets they actually exist in, namely China etc. What can we sell them, a few Nortons and dodgy pensions? They rebuilt their trade networks when we turned our back on the colonials in the 70's they are free now and are well for it dealing in their own neighbouring locality which is best for any business

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn.

I'm looking forward to new Zealand lamb chops, far superior to the things we get now.

Why not go even further afield and see if you can bring some products back from the moon. Assuming you don't mind paying for it plus the follow on inflation that will cripple our country

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Why not go even further afield and see if you can bring some products back from the moon. Assuming you don't mind paying for it plus the follow on inflation that will cripple our country

Just because the UK is outside of the EU does not mean trade ceases with the EU. Whether you like it or not, the UK is a big economy and the EU will trade with it. Just because the UK is not part of the EU does not mean the UK is not in Europe and with a shared history, albeit mostly the UK bailing out other countries.

The point people make is that there is a world outside the EU. Being in the EU means that the UK has to abide by the EU's rules and these constrain the UK's ability to forge closer national ties with other countries. Wine is often used as an example, because Australian wine is subject to an import tariff into the EU (thus the UK), making Australian wine more pricey. A bilateral deal with Australia could remove this tariff.

"Wine" I hear you say. "Yes", I reply, "but wine is just one product; let's look at the issue in a different way".

Take research and development, specifically in higher education. There has been much voiced by universities and eminent professors about the loss of EU funding for research and student exchange, without acknowledging that EU money is actually derived from UK money. The university my son is going to has close collaborations with Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and the US - no other EU country. There are EU students, but also students from loads of other countries.
edit on 29/3/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Sure trade will go on between UK and our neighbours it's just all the handicaps that will go with it that might create more red tape in a world where let's be honest and realistic about it needs less. Our local lorry manager at the courier was saying how they'd taken on a rook of new staff to cover all the extra paperwork caused by Brexit. He said they were already seeing many of their customers retreating to bases in Europe rather than putting up with increasing retrictions to proper free trade. Who can blame them, more red tape = more costs and that gets added to the the couriers prices.

Interesting what you say about the uni dosh actually being British in the first place before being recycled, suppose it might as well stay here in the first place. Wish him all te best btw in the future studies

Being honest and realistic about it as long as we get free trade with European continent then many of us remainers can be brought on board the Brexit ship. There are many things like the EU army and dictatorship by Squareheads that I have no desire to be involved with. Free trade with the EU and no red tape is an essential ingredient going forward

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Did anyone see Newsnight last night? With the quote from the "unnamed" Cabinet Minister.

"Fu#* knows. I'm past caring. It's like the living dead here."

Independent

Pretty much sums up the national mood now.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Sums it up perfectly.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Sure trade will go on between UK and our neighbours it's just all the handicaps that will go with it that might create more red tape in a world where let's be honest and realistic about it needs less.

The extent of that is up to whether the EU or the UK want a pile of red tape. There is no reason why smart solutions can be found for these things. Both the EU and the UK need to find a solution that helps both parties, because red tape goes both ways.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
BBC: MPs Vote to Reject Deal

Where does this leave us?

Myself, I will watch The Last Leg on TV tonight with some Scotch. I could do with a laugh right now.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Where does this leave us?

It should mean we leave without a deal. It won't though. We'll have another couple of weeks of bickering and high-politics. Unless the EU actually make a concession on the backstop of course.

In will step the MPs to kill Brexit. You can see them lining up. Corbyn banging on about an General Election, as if that will solve it all.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think that the EU will give us a longish extension now which would be a kick in the teeth for democracy, or what passes for it here in Blighty.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I see that Project Fear has worked its magic on you.

We used to get New Zealand lamb chops before the days of The Common Market....they were bigger and tastier than those available today.
Not that I can eat lamb chops that often as they are so bloody expensive....used to have them all the time in my youth.

Strange, could get them cheaper from half way round the world than we could from our continental 'brothers'.

Come to think of it, why do we have to buy imported lamb chops?
Our fields are full of them this time of year.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: FreebornCome to think of it, why do we have to buy imported lamb chops?
Our fields are full of them this time of year.

So true and that needs to be a guiding light for the post Brexit era. As Brits we need to start producing more things back here again, everything from cars, textiles to even lamb chops

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

edit on 29-3-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Like the idea of USA joining the Commonwealth yeah, not sure they are going to want the Crown back after gaining independence, to be honest we'd be better going the other way and becoming the 52nd state
if they wanted to take on a challenge

Ha ha, that would be cool, but thinking about it I would guess that "Trump Country" would prefer to secede from the Leftist Coasts and the Leftist Coasts would probably far prefer the UK system of governance to what the US has now. The UK could have the US East Coast and China or Mexico or both could take the US West Coast. That would be a great solution except the UK would get AOC.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: teapot

Cool......keep it going....expand it! Texas should join.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join