It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another night of Brexit drama

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: yuppa
HEY BRITAIN...WE CAN ALWAYS ANNEX YOU AS ANOTHER STATE.

You wouldn't be able to cope with us.

We are to politically correct and we don't want guns.

See that the beauty of this. If you become a state you also come under constitutional protection and as such can get your guns back. Or become the next california.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Well.........I would certainly think so! The UK IS a major market, I would think.

The thing that really worries me though is that on an episode of Grand Tour, Clarkson and the "accident prone" little guy whose name I cant remember did a special on all the neat stuff built in the UK, vehicles and such and farm equipment and earth moving equipment and specialty vehicles and they did an entire parade of these vehicles and it was miles long of different stuff.

Thats great for the UK, but.........most all that stuff gets sold to the EU. Without access to that market........I would think your going to suffer massive jobs losses.

The more this goes on, the more anxious about the whole thing I get. I recall all too well the near Depression type economic crisis the UK suffered during the '60's. That was just awful to endure.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

New Zealand, eh?

Which brings to mind a question. I seem to recall that in an effort to maintain the UK trade economy after WWII, the UK, Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand formed a special trade zone called the "Commonwealth".

What ever happened to that? Maybe that could be revived and maybe some former colonies like the US and India might be able to join? Could be hope in that?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Classic.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Duuuude, sshhht
keep it shtum !

Don't remind Brexiters that 60% of the nations food
is imported from ... Europe !

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

Why buy food from Europe? The US and Canada have millions of tons of food to sell, and no, I am not talking Spam.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

I could live on a diet of sprouts if it came to it.
Loose a few Friends but hey ho.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Well.........I would certainly think so! The UK IS a major market, I would think.

The thing that really worries me though is that on an episode of Grand Tour, Clarkson and the "accident prone" little guy whose name I cant remember did a special on all the neat stuff built in the UK, vehicles and such and farm equipment and earth moving equipment and specialty vehicles and they did an entire parade of these vehicles and it was miles long of different stuff.
Thats great for the UK, but.........most all that stuff gets sold to the EU. Without access to that market........I would think your going to suffer massive jobs losses.

Most of the stuff gets sold to the EU because it suits the EU. The EU consists

of 27 countries - more than half of them are economically dependent on the

the wealthier top 8/10 countries (of which UK was the no. 2 ) So in point

of fact when the UK leaves they are losing an economically viable country and

not a dependent one?

There are a total of 193 countries world wide taking of the EU that leaves

166 countries the UK can trade with I'm sure there will be trade to be done?

*Made in Britain* was once a symbol of quality no reason to be so again.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As i'm scanning ATS..

This here is coming in :

Jacob-Rees Mogg hints he would support Boris Johnson in leadership bid

Then

Labour peer and People’s Vote campaigner Andrew Adonis is evidently not very keen on the PM’s decoupling of Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration, and insists that it was a Conservative manifesto promise to vote on them together.

Conservative party manifesto 2017: “We believe it is necessary to agree the terms of our future partnership alongside our withdrawal, reaching agreement on both within the two years allowed by Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union”

Live updates and explainers for anyone ?

More !!
This just in from Brexiter and MEP Patrick O’Flynn, who appears to be fuming.
He must be reading ATS

Tomorrow we face the unpalatable truth that despite their election promises to the British people, the Tory Party and the Lab Party have conspired to ensure Brexit won't happen.
Time for a new, patriotic and honest politics to rise with

(@oflynnmep)

From the same link

In the same vein, but with the Mueller fallout

!Political soap opera for everyone !
When this period of history is poked around
and made into an award winning tv series
This would be the apt theme tune :

edit on 28-3-2019 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
Don't remind Brexiters that 60% of the nations food
is imported from ... Europe !

Don't know where you are getting your "facts" from, but they are wrong.

The UK produces 50% of its food, and 30% is sourced from te EU.
UK food imports

The UK has not be self sufficuent in food for a hundred years. Not many banana plantations. If Spanish tomatoes, or Danish bacon ends up rotting on the docks who do you think will get upset?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Which brings to mind a question. I seem to recall that in an effort to maintain the UK trade economy after WWII, the UK, Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand formed a special trade zone called the "Commonwealth".

What ever happened to that? Maybe that could be revived and maybe some former colonies like the US and India might be able to join? Could be hope in that?

Too right the Commonwealth was a great idea and still is for cultural reasons and a shared views in poloitics..................... trouble is though the UK stabbed Aus and New Zealand in the back when they joined the EU and this resulted in them going more Oceanic, today they treat China as their big partner USA too. These brotherly islands are always going to be sharing much with us, but they're the other side of Planet Earth, we are never going to replace Europe with that region.

Like the idea of USA joining the Commonwealth yeah, not sure they are going to want the Crown back after gaining independence, to be honest we'd be better going the other way and becoming the 52nd state
if they wanted to take on a challenge

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

New Zealand, eh?

I have said this for donkeys years!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Proximity, diversity, instant access

If you sniff around the Graun
you'll find a lot of reports being released
that recieve no coverage, there are so many things

Imagine this :
we're not now,
but 24h from right now,

where i am,
it's hard brexit
(inital plan)
in 49 minutes time !!

oopps
only 48 minutes
to the original cliff edge

what happens ? ...
immediate customs checks, visas to redo,
making sure you've got the right driving licence
once you've made it off of the ferry, of course

Hypothetical, original crash 'n' burn in - 45 mns

MPs are scheduled to vote on Theresa May’s Withdrawal Deal alone from 14.30 tomorrow, the 29th of March, the day Britain was originally meant to exit from the EU.

edit on 28-3-2019 by Cassi3l because: Music warms the heart

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I stand by the fact that we have the best deal in Europe. At the same time you are right about the farmers and the fisherman. CAP is a biyt of a French masterplan to protect and subsidise their agriculture. Set aside is strange, thogh farmers still complain around here about how hard going things are but they still drive nice motors and have the latest tractors. No starving farmers being honest about it. Fishermen yes that is a bit of an EU issue, saying that Brits generally don't do fish these days its all burgers and kebabs, though the export market could be a lucrative business especially in crabs etc.

The EU army is a bit of a going concern, then again we have relied totally on the USA for the defence of Europe since WW2. Russia / CSTO hve been spending loads on development of future combat systems they have left us behind in many areas, if Trump brings the boys back home then could we defend ourselves against Russia backed up the CSTO and China etc? No is probably the answer, they'd take the EU in no time at all. Something is needed to defend against them and a combined army is probably the way to go.

Truth is we are totally integrated with the Europeans and breaking away from this is one of the most ludicrous ideas ever. We have it so good here in the UK and that wealth is based on us prospering within a single market. Now we cast open the gates to an unknown and why do this when we have it so good right now.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

We still have a 'Commonwealth of Nations', comprising 53 countries, 20% of all global trade and +25% of the world's population across 5 continents.

The Commonwealth is an association of sovereign nations which support each other and work together towards international goals. With their common heritage in language, culture, law, education and democratic traditions, among other things, Commonwealth countries are able to work together in an atmosphere of greater trust and understanding than generally prevails among nations. www.commonwealthofnations.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

britain did fine before they joined the eu even the common market meat and butter from nz and aussie ect

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

it's not so much about the market as people are sick and tired of being told what to do by the bloody bureaucrats in the eu

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Truth is we are totally integrated with the Europeans and breaking away from this is one of the most ludicrous ideas ever. We have it so good here in the UK and that wealth is based on us prospering within a single market. Now we cast open the gates to an unknown and why do this when we have it so good right now.

Treason.

In summary

Although Brexit ought to be accomplished whatever the outcome, special care must be taken to remedy all of the prior incursions of our constitution and to ensure that no Standing army is created.

•Breach of sovereignty exists and must be remedied forthwith
•There can be no standing army
•Any solution must comply with international law
•The Subjects have a right of remedy, in petition direct to the Crown, to demand the enforcement of our constitutional law
•The laws are the Birthright of the people. Parliament may not destroy its omnipotence and thereby displace that Birthright to a foreign potentate

The will of the people has been expressed; however our written Constitution and the Rule of Law also determine that elected politicians do not sit in Parliament to:-
•Place the Monarch in breach of Her sworn duty
•Sell out the Birthright of the People to a Foreign Potentate
•To cede any governance to those who owe no allegiance to the Crown
•To support Ministers in contravention of their Privy Council oaths
•To place the House of Lords in contempt of the Crown
•To breach their own allegiance
•To disobey the law, most particularly the Bill of Rights, "An Act to secure the Rights and Liberties of the Subject"
•To place others in breach of their constitutional duty
•To create taxation without representation
•To separate the people from their courts
•To devise a standing army

Parliament has no lawful power to destroy its own omnipotence. That is the law and a written part of our constitution.

There can be no power in Parliament to continue any Breach of Sovereignty. It is the Crown's sworn duty to defend and recover it and thus the duty of all in any Governance whatsoever to repair the breach at the earliest time.www.ukcolumn.org...

From Heath onwards, all sitting parliaments have sold out the rights of the British people to the EU.

Never had it so good? At what price?

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot

We still have a 'Commonwealth of Nations', comprising 53 countries, 20% of all global trade and +25% of the world's population across 5 continents.

The Commonwealth is an association of sovereign nations which support each other and work together towards international goals. With their common heritage in language, culture, law, education and democratic traditions, among other things, Commonwealth countries are able to work together in an atmosphere of greater trust and understanding than generally prevails among nations. www.commonwealthofnations.org...

I believe the clue was in Meghan Markles wedding veil when she married Prince Harri

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Steveogold

Totally agree but that was back then. These days we don't send our majority products out to NZ Aus Rhodesia etc, we are massively entangled in the EU and that trade flows both ways. In many ways it is a massive shame Britain went down that route and sold the empire away but that is what our rulers did and now we are very integrated within the continent.

Truth be told if you give me a frog, a kraut and a greasy southern European I don't even get close to even slightly rubbing long with them, they are foreign and weird. Throw us a New Zealander, a South African and an Aussie or Canadian and it's like being part of the same family and the same humour, we actually Know each other like brothers................. But we don't do the trade with those regions so where does that leave us?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join