It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Youth With HIV Sicker, Taking More Sexual Risks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Researchers have found that since "highly active antiretroviral therapies," known as HAART, were introduced in 1996, youths who are infected with HIV engage in high risk behaviors at a higher rate. The reasons range from feelings of invulnerability," common among youth, to the misconception that the therapy, itself, reduces the risk of viral infection. These youths reported more emotional distress and a lower quality of life, as compared to youths surveyed prior to 1996. Teenagers account for 11% of the newly diagnosed cases and the majority of those are black and Hispanic.

www.foxnews.com
Young Americans living with HIV are worse off — and having much more risky sex — since powerful AIDS drugs came along.

You might think that the drugs, known as highly active antiretroviral therapy or HAART, would make life better for HIV-infected youths. You might think that when teens learn they have the AIDS virus, they would be more careful about unsafe sex and substance abuse. But you would be wrong.

"Post-HAART youth living with HIV were more likely to engage in unprotected sex and substance abuse, to be more emotionally distressed, and to have lower quality of life than were pre-HAART youth living with HIV," UCLA researcher Marguerita Lightfoot, PhD, and colleagues report in the February issue of the American Journal of Health Behavior.

Lightfoot's team made an extraordinary effort to find young Americans living with HIV — and to get honest information from them. In Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, and Miami, they recruited young people aged 13 to 24 through social service agencies, medical clinics, street outreach, and community advertisements.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this study highlights the unavoidable fact that drugs and access to health care are only a part of the problem relative to slowing the transmission of HIV. Behavior modification is essential. We must also consider the phenomenon of AIDS-induced dementia which results in high risk behavior by those so affected.

Related News Links:
www.keralanext.com
www.theglobeandmail.com
www.medicalnewstoday.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Gay Concern over Hyping AIDS 'Superbug'
ATS: Nobel Laureate, Wangari Maathai, Claims AIDS an Engineered Disease
NEWS: Rare Drug-Resistant HIV Found in N.Y.
SCI/TECH: HIV Rate Among U.S. Blacks Doubles in a Decade

[edit on 05/3/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I think this study highlights the unavoidable fact that drugs and access to health care are only a part of the problem relative to slowing the transmission of HIV. Behavior modification is essential. We must also consider the phenomenon of AIDS-induced dementia which results in high risk behavior by those so affected.

Sounds to me like quarantine camps are next on the list.

IMO - there's a LOT more to this story, just like with depleted uranium poisoning - and we accept imposed ignorance at our own risk.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The AID's/HIV threat is mounting quickly maybe people will start taking it seriously soon. However I doubt it, most will continue keeping their head in the sand.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
In my dream last night I woke up in a shabby Chinese hospital/clinic (there are mostly only clinics and they are very dirty) and I got up and I looked around and the message in my head was there are aids here and I was really scared and left. That's all I remember.

If you get to have quarantine camps in the U.S. I'm sure the developing world will only have death camps.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

If you get to have quarantine camps in the U.S. I'm sure the developing world will only have death camps.

Who will know the difference?

How will we be able to tell?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well it will be more transparent in developing countries. They won't be able to deny the high death rates, whereas developing countries will state they are trying to curb it but in fact they probably wont...Is this your thinking Soficrow? Btw, Congrats on your WATS award.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Massive Quarantine Camps won't fly in this country. Besides, it would add more than million people left under the care of the government until cure or death. (i.e. we would be paying for these damned hedonists...) Besides, AIDS is no longer as serious of a threat as it was twenty years ago when people thought this made their genitalia rot/fall off and eventually kill you with the flu. We have some serious cocktails that can prevent the HIV becoming FBA. Every year we are coming closer to a cure...that is until it mutates and becomes a hyper-retrovirus...

Don't get me wrong, HIV is still a threat. I'm not saying to go out and fool around with errrr'vryone. But there are far worse things that I would be worrying about getting...

EDIT: Whoops...just read some of the links you provided Grady...there is in fact the new mutant strains...

[edit on 3/1/2005 by OXmanK]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanKDon't get me wrong, HIV is still a threat. I'm not saying to go out and fool around with errrr'vryone. But there are far worse things that I would be worrying about getting...

You like Panda's? I live in Panda Land, SiChuan China.

AIDS is something I do worry about. Not on a conscious level but on a more practical level.

I never touch bathroom doors or sit down on toilets. I don't wash my hands because I don't touch anything. To touch a faucet or a door in a public bathroom is so disgusting. Bathrooms are one places I think you might be able to contract aids.

Second, in China they use lots of needles. I know they are clean but it's still unnerving. In USA you get pills alot, but in China the method de jur is IV, Intravaneous solution ?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

Well it will be more transparent in developing countries. They won't be able to deny the high death rates, whereas developing countries will state they are trying to curb it but in fact they probably wont...

There you have it. Out of sight. Out of mind.

Also, we're heading into a major flu epidemic. Some people will die quickly, but others won't - they'll be infected and they might be carriers. Hmmm.

...Oh yeah, and about those anti-terrorist laws. You know, the ones where people get picked up and shipped off without being charged. Another hmmm.

Can you spell "national emergency" and NORTHCOM? How about "military takeover of civil authority"?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that an intelligent dialog of this topic has been induced. Quarantine, having been successful in so many previous epidemics would, of course, be the last thing we would attempt. When HIV is treated as a disease and not as a political persuasion or ethnicity, we will have a chance at defeating it. Until then, we will just have to debate paranoid delusions.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
OOPS, the chance of catching AIDS from bathroom fixture is zero, unless you do something naughty with it. AIDS has to be directly added to your bloodstream.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
OOPS, the chance of catching AIDS from bathroom fixture is zero, unless you do something naughty with it. AIDS has to be directly added to your bloodstream.

Yes, but what happens if the poo poo plops and the water drops go up your poo poo hole?

And then there are loads of STDS you can get too not to mention viral infections of other forms...basically public bathrooms are dirty as hell, don't touch anything..use paper to open doors.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The infected person would have to have sores of sorts as you would for the scenario you presented...

Oh yes there are some, but the most worrysome would probably be lice...

EDIT: Any better?

[edit on 3/1/2005 by OXmanK]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Quarantine, having been successful in so many previous epidemics would, of course, be the last thing we would attempt.

Quarantine may be politically useful and expedient - but it's COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE with most modern diseases.

Not only are modern diseases different, but quarantine never works if you don't clean the barn. ...In this case, the barn is the whole friggin planet.

FYI:

"Dr. Keiji Fukuda, an influenza expert at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.But Fukuda said H5N1 was spreading so fast and so far that traditional efforts to control it -- culling, vaccinating and quarantining flocks -- would not always work.

Bird flu may be in Asia to stay, officials fear

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Any further off topic or off color discussion in this thread will result in warnings.
If you cannot act like adults in this thread, do not post here.

top topics

join