It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jussie Smollet Charges Dropped

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If I was a black gay man I would be ashamed of what has happened with Smollet.

And, the really unfortunate part is, because this matter had a Trump/MAGA component to it it will be largely accepted by the black and gay communities as being okay.

The Trump element will blind the gay and black communities to the damage Smollet has done to all of their credibility and reputations!

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Halfswede

You make an excellent point!

If Smollet is innocent, then there should be a doubled down effort to find the perpetrators of this alleged hate crime!!

Smolletts attorney admitted that it was the two Nigerians that did the attack

So surely Smollett would be pushing for their arrest

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The issue is not that Smollett got off with a light sentence

It’s that he wasn’t indicted on anything, and the evidence was sealed

So now the Chicago police, that were under a microscope nation wide, and do their job admirably, and showed their public outrage with the time and resources wasted on this

Now Smollett can issue a press conference condemning the police, as he did

So this prosecutor just threw the entire Chicago of under the bus, and set the precedent that massive hoaxes can now be committed that will take up huge resources from police and there will be no punishment

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
So, what effectively becomes a 10k fine is nothing to dismiss.
I have no issue with making jussie pay a "fine".
I have no issue with jussie getting off on a first offense with a 10k "fine" and "community service".

I do have an issue with the state enabling jussie to have any credibility saying he did not lie to the police or stage the hoax especially when the chief of police holds a press conference to make that issue known.

What jussie did is far more unacceptable socially than legally. The damage he did to the black community and gay community will not soon be forgotten or easily repaired. Every instance of a hate crime going forward in chicago will be initially called a hoax by some because of jussie. That will be his legacy.

It will be interesting to me to see what comes of the threat that came in the mail to jussies place of employment.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Correction: - Smollet absolutely was indicted! He was indicted by a Grand Jury and subsequently charged on six felony counts.

Those charges were ultimately dropped, so he wasn't "convicted" on any of those charges...but he was most assuredly indicted.

ETA - The Grand Jury proceedings were sealed, as they often are, but in this case the prosecutions case was also sealed along with the evidence. This just SCREAMS of injustice! The DA had, initially, gone the extra mile by convening a Grand Jury to bolster their case...and then they turned around and dropped the charges. If this doesn't smack of obstruction of justice, I don't know what does!
edit on 3/27/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
While I think this is a tragedy of justice, I think it's sort of hilarious that people don't think non-black actors, musicians and athletes don't also get special treatment. When a white star athlete, actor or musician skates on a crime, do you come here and post how all white people should be ashamed?

The rich and the famous get special treatment? Wow, what a stunner.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The implications of the Smollet case are almost incomprehensible, the likes of which this country has never seen previously.

1. The political left has run completely amok

2. The media is being allowed to wantonly commit acts of sedition

3. Political corruption and obstruction of justice have now reached previously unimaginable levels

4. Large segments of the population are now screaming for people to calm down (nothing to see here, move along)

5. The gay and black communities have been sent back to the dark ages in terms of equality, credibility and legitimacy

6. People's confidence in the very underpinnings of justice in this country have been rattled to the core

7. An actor, a gay man, a black man, and celebrity, uses his NOTORIETY, to commit a HATE CRIME, against HIMSELF, in the name of the PRESIDENT, in order to achieve a POLITICAL objective against a SITTING PRESIDENT, while at the same time attempting to INCREASE his OWN SOCIAL CURRENCY, by fueling the fires of RACISM, and the supporters of SEXUAL ORIENTATION, who's own attorney ADMITS GUILT of his client...only to have the DA mysteriously DROP ALL CHARGES...

...is ab-so-lutely IN-COMP-RE-HENSIBLE!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

I certainly don’t think all black people should be ashamed

Well I do, but I think ALL people should be ashamed

Why should a black persons feel anymore shame just cause this guy was black?

And yes, you are right rich white celebrities get special treatment as well

But 2 points

1. I don’t know that they get special treatment like this. Sure they may get very small punishments, or they can hire unbelievably talented lawyers to get them off at trial

But to have all of the evidence so public of your guilt, to have police and a grand jury think you are no doubt guilty, and to then have a prosecutor connected to a former presidents family get emails from higher ups and basically let you go and seal all records? I can’t think of another case involving anyone of any color this bad

2. The racial part is important to bring up because so many people in positions of power spew on constantly about “white privilege”

It turns out, it’s most like rich or celebrity privilege, as you point out in your post

So asking if this is black privilege is a way of pointing out the ridiculousness of the white privilege narrative

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Happens all the time, BUT...

1. They aren't HOAXES
2. They aren't POLITICAL or election slogans
3. They don't involve a PRESIDENT (...unless it's a Clinton)
4. They aren't attacks on THEMSELVES
5. They aren't carefully orchestrated to create maximum public OUTRAGE
6. They aren't intentionally about RACISM, HATE and SEXUAL ORIENTATION

Those crimes carry a conviction and a sentence. Lindsay Lohan can fall off the wagon and get a (another) DUI and get off due to her fame. Same pro athlete can thump on his girlfriend and get off because of his fame.

The Smollet case is different, and you know it!

Stop trying to minimize it!

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

You're right.

I said that, but maybe it comes off the wrong way, and that's not what I meant. Perhaps rather than "ashamed" maybe I should have said "FURIOUS". I guess that's more what I meant.

Smollet just made a public mockery of everything they've been fighting for, and in so doing has marginalized their cause for possibly a whole generation if not more.

ETA - Maybe what I really should have said is..."should be ashamed of Smollet as a representative of either the gay or black communities"

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
There is George Soros money behind this. Payola. Plain and simple. Which brings me to another point. This is so in your face injustice what is coming at us next? If TPTB can pull this kind of crap look out because they will do anything they want.

edit on 27-3-2019 by Ansuzrune because: punctuation correction

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

That's exactly right!

There is no upper limit now to what people will try, and succeed, in getting away with.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

If I was a black gay man I would be ashamed of what has happened with Smollet.

The two brothers seen on camera buying rope to hang Jussie, are refusing to talk now.

Someone Pay Them? twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I'm still trying to focus my original 'shame' comment.

There is an element of shame that I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to articulate. Let me try again...

If I were a gay or black man, I would be ashamed someone of my same race and/or orientation would perpetrate such a hate inspiring hoax in an effort to further my real-world cause. I would be ashamed that someone in power and of my same race and/or orientation would use their power to intervene and obstruct the justice process in such an outrageous hoax and failed publicity stunt, that they would choose the Smollet case as the example to justify my cause. I would be ashamed that someone of my same orientation and race would marginalize my real-world struggles by obscuring the reality (a reality all can see) so the media can use it as an example for political gain. I would be ashamed that their influence, power and egos meant more to them than I and my treatment as an equal did. I would be truly ashamed to be identified with those people because I can't change my orientation or race.

Does that capture it a little better?

It's like the same shame I feel as a white conservative male when some nutcase perpetrates some horrible crime in the name of white male conservatives.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If someone was influential enough to get the Chicago DA to drop charges against the wishes of the Mayor (and not just any Mayor either), the Police Commissioner and a Grand Jury...then silencing the two Nigerians is a slam dunk from a 10' ladder!!!

ETA - If I was them I'd probably stop talking too. I think I'd also probably be looking seriously into how to get off the planet!! Those two boys are in some serious DANGER!! Like for real!

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You're right.

I said that, but maybe it comes off the wrong way, and that's not what I meant. Perhaps rather than "ashamed" maybe I should have said "FURIOUS". I guess that's more what I meant.

Smollet just made a public mockery of everything they've been fighting for, and in so doing has marginalized their cause for possibly a whole generation if not more.

ETA - Maybe what I really should have said is..."should be ashamed of Smollet as a representative of either the gay or black communities"

I knew what you meant and took no offense with it.

I was just clarifying for that poster.

I have long since spoke out about the idea of community leaders of certain groups.

As if all gay people or black people think alike, and need someone like Smollett speaking up for them.

Its absurd.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Or threatened them.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

3. They don't involve a PRESIDENT (...unless it's a Clinton)

Actually Presidents quite often are the target of crap like this in the past. But past Presidents were typically above this sort of thing. They were busy being President, not digging into the minutia of stuff like entertainment or sports. Trump likes the social scene, and being deeply involved in sports, entertainment, social media.. so I guess it seems bigger than it is?

Even if he had pulled off his hoax - would it really have made a difference? Probably not at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

or burn down their village back home...

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'm still trying to focus my original 'shame' comment.

There is an element of shame that I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to articulate. Let me try again...

If I were a gay or black man, I would be ashamed someone of my same race and/or orientation would perpetrate such a hate inspiring hoax in an effort to further my real-world cause. I would be ashamed that someone in power and of my same race and/or orientation would use their power to intervene and obstruct the justice process in such an outrageous hoax and failed publicity stunt, that they would choose the Smollet case as the example to justify my cause. I would be ashamed that someone of my same orientation and race would marginalize my real-world struggles by obscuring the reality (a reality all can see) so the media can use it as an example for political gain. I would be ashamed that their influence, power and egos meant more to them than I and my treatment as an equal did. I would be truly ashamed to be identified with those people because I can't change my orientation or race.

Does that capture it a little better?

It's like the same shame I feel as a white conservative male when some nutcase perpetrates some horrible crime in the name of white male conservatives.

Those of us with no chips on our shoulders knew exactly what you meant the first time. I concur completely. Those same folk should be just as furious that it is likely folks from similar communities (perhaps not 100% all) that are power playing to cover up the truth. Starting with the DA that “take back” recused herself when the crime first occurred.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join