It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this jet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I am on the edge of Salisbury Plain in England. Used to the usual planes but for a couple of years or so now we have what sounds like a jet fighter going round and round the Plain, usually when the Army is exercising like last night between 7 and 8pm.

You hear it but never see it - at night or during the day even in clear skies when it sounds like it is overhead. So no photos, I'm afraid.

It sounds like it is loitering very slowly as it does not seem to go fast like a normal jet, sounds throttled back all the time. You just hear a jet type rumble - like a Typhoon - that stays around for like 10 minutes goes slowly and comes back.

Not much to go on, I know, but any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Maybe a CORAX drone?

ETA - In any case, probably some kind of drone technology.

edit on 3/26/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Could be some peeps from Joint Warrior exercise. Gonna get busy your way sounds like.

www.forces.net...

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Not saying where I live, but it's on Salisbury Plain. In fact, I am just about to do a 12 mile walk with the dogs.

March newsletter

I think the noise was too low for a fast jet. My suspicion was battlefield surveillance i.e. RAF Sentinel, or similar. We get low flying from A400s and C130s and all heli types. All very impressive.
edit on 26/3/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thanks guys. I think a Sentinel would be very visible so as I have never seen the thing the CORAX looks to be the most likely suspect.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Thanks - I checked the newsletter too. Looks as though it's going to be noisy round here. The Hercules seem to line up on our chimney as they approach the Plain. V low sometimes.

I think I can guess where you live but not saying, obviously.

Have you heard this thing?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It sounds like it is loitering very slowly as it does not seem to go fast like a normal jet, sounds throttled back all the time

Is it Teresa May out on night manoeuvers ?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Sounds a little hoarser and rougher even than May. Also seems to be moving with some purpose so that rules May out.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Not saying where I live, but it's on Salisbury Plain

But, but...you already did!

You live on Salisbury Plain...under the shadow of the White Horse! And your house is the only one with an orange turkey in the yard.

Oh, and just FYI, your turkey is pulling your chicken's feathers out!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

COREX drone? What do you think this is?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

kind of off topic but the drive has an ARMY manual that lists the RQ-170 with an eletric turbofan.

what is that about?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Its not an A-10 Warthog (Thunderbolt II), is it?

Fascinating craft to watch. Every time I see one, it reminds me of a B-25 Mitchell WWII bomber.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

I don't think so, they are pretty easy to spot!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

V-22 Osprey?

Next time you hear it. Try looking for it on the web at a site that shows ADS-B plots.

For a cheap and fun project for a weekend maybe even make a RTL-SDR ADS-B reciever of your own? They cost toffee to purchase on Amazon. I got mine for under 25 GBP and that was last year.

Plenty of tutorials and info on the web and fun to boot! You will probably get the answers yourself too!

Regards. M.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: murlock

Not an Osprey - it's a jet. Had a V22 (two I believe) come overhead when out fishing when Obama visited Stonehenge. Loud buggers.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Just throwing my tuppence in. I was thinking about it loitering.

Have a bash with an SDR. I can't receive from here I'm afraid. I'm NE from you. Also using a standard antenna. Omni-directional.
Due to the lower altitudes in training they are a long way out of range at that.

Also if you make one up yourself you will always have the info to hand.

Good luck with your efforts though. I hope you find out what this mystery aircraft is.

S+F for updates. :up

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: murlock

Thanks - will look into that.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

It sounds like it is loitering very slowly as it does not seem to go fast like a normal jet, sounds throttled back all the time

Is it Teresa May out on night manoeuvers ?

Maybe practicing for the eventuality that she has to fly the coop.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Do you hear it most often during cold fronts? You might be getting audio-ducting or atmospheric sound channels as the result of temperature inversion. Basically because of pressure and temp differences you get refraction that will carry low frequency sounds an exceptionally long distance. Can be quite loud.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

No - we had high pressure sitting over us yesterday. Coincides with army exercises on Salisbury Plain. Slow moving like loitering.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join