It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being able to download all my content from the board - not delete it - download to my computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

One thing to consider is that much of ATS was hand built by SO himself. There may be some snippets of common code here and there. I can tell you that there is no magic button that erases all existence of a single user from the database. Even the old global ignore feature had to be abandoned due to strain. There even used to be an individual member controlled ignore which was the first to go due to stain of tracking who was to be ignored by whom.

To be honest, a simple printout of everything without a specific sort would probably be a stack of paper to the moon and halfway back. That is a ton of info to sort through and still stand ready to continue normal operation.

It would be a very handy feature to use as staff when we sit down to analyze writing samples of a current troublemaker to previously banned problem children. But not at risking the enjoyment of the site by the membership. We have seen limits to the system already regarding large multi page threads. The original page one of the Japan quake thread is gone with zero chance of recovery due to size. Well, it is still there but can’t be accessed even from recovery backup discs.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
*dbl post, see below
edit on 26-3-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Well, not exactly. After much scrolling and loading, mine stopped in April 2018 on posts. Public threads are there, but there is not as many. Staff related threads are not listed (naturally). But from what I can remember, the public threads all seem to be there. More prolific thread staters might hit a limitation of the listing feature.

Yes, I do remember when they all would be there...then for awhile you'd have to play with the bottom to get it to cont. scrolling...then?

It finally got to where it is now....I can just imagine how much culmative personal threads and posts there are, and hard to make available to all 300,000+ ATS members!

Thanks for the reply!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
One of the legislations I was talking about from the EU is the GDPR

I thought so.

They basically state that no matter the TOC/TOS of the sites, the content generated by the individuals IS their property and they retain rights to such property and they can expect reasonable access to such material.

I doubt it, if a person agrees with allowing the use of the content they create then nobody can force them to ignore their decision.
When people accept the conditions for being a member of ATS they are stating that they put all their work they post on ATS under a Creative Commons licence.

It also makes sites like Facebook, Twitter and others liable for the content on thieir site, just like a news site - they would no longer be considered a "platform" and instead a publisher - and this carries over to smaller websites that consider themselves "platforms" (forums, groups, etc) and members and contributors retain the rights to their work regardless of the TOS/TOC.

It's that "members and contributors retain the rights to their work" part that I doubt. Can you give me an example?

I do think Russia Today had a nice segment on this b/c it was going to effect a lot of their technical forums where people have uploaded technical diagrams and such and the site was using this data for their own gain (selling technical specs, schematics, blueprints, etc) and the new law would allow the member to recover compensation for information derived from these postings (with a run of the mill TOS/TOC - all published info is property of the site).

No, what the new Directive (not a law, it only becomes a law when transposed to each EU country's legislation) says is RT (in that case) needs a license from the copyrighted work's creator. If the creators are the members and the members accepted giving away their rights over the works they publish then there's no problem.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

The limit appears to be 1000 for each list.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

originally posted by: Groot
How about you copy and paste your stuff in a file on your computer. Or even type it out and save it on your device THEN copy and paste it to ATS.

Thank you Groot....been composing from a processor to cut n paste for some years now...got everything off-site...on multiple storage drives.....

Never lose anything and I index them in thread, reply, date, size etc....

And you can look at any members threads and personal replies by clicking to their profiles....

I learned it the hard way. Had to copy and paste my old threads from a previous life before they erased it, which is what happened.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

One thing to consider is that much of ATS was hand built by SO himself. There may be some snippets of common code here and there. I can tell you that there is no magic button that erases all existence of a single user from the database. Even the old global ignore feature had to be abandoned due to strain. There even used to be an individual member controlled ignore which was the first to go due to stain of tracking who was to be ignored by whom.

To be honest, a simple printout of everything without a specific sort would probably be a stack of paper to the moon and halfway back. That is a ton of info to sort through and still stand ready to continue normal operation.

It would be a very handy feature to use as staff when we sit down to analyze writing samples of a current troublemaker to previously banned problem children. But not at risking the enjoyment of the site by the membership. We have seen limits to the system already regarding large multi page threads. The original page one of the Japan quake thread is gone with zero chance of recovery due to size. Well, it is still there but can’t be accessed even from recovery backup discs.

First off, what media are the backups on? Hard drives or tapes or something else? Have you considered sending them out for reconstruction, at least for that thread/sector? There is a place that will analyze it for free and if they can't do it, no charge, and if they can, the prices are really good. LMK if you want more info, the place gets a lot of business from what I hear and has been around for 15-25years I think.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I have no idea, that would be a question for SO. And I know he worked with some very high end IT guys awhile back.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

To me it sounds like either a software problem or a problem with incoherent data for that thread on the database. If it is then it's possible to recover, but it may take a lot of work to do it.

<< 1   >>

join