It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning A Wild Forage Edible Landscape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
 In a nutshell, I'm  looking for suggestions on the best species to cultivate for Hardiness Zone 5?
I have a trapezoidal back lot measuring 80 ft X 67 ft X 71 ft Long, aligned East West, with Maples on the side and back. I get full sun for about 47 ft of the overall length. Soil ph ranges from acidic near a Black Walnut to neutral, rocky to loamy and wet to dry. I'm in the process of digging cisterns, laying runoff drain and irrigation lines and installing an in-ground fountain. Bummer, I took drone shots over the weekend, but can't get them to load. However this photo from my Walking Hot Frame post www.abovetopsecret.com... shows some of the yard beyond the greenhouse.

Originally my plan was less for human consumption and more to attract birds for pest control and also to inoculate my domestic garden with wild variants as woodland creatures are more accustomed to foraging wild varieties. From the book "Birds In The Garden", McKenny, 1939, I found lists of native species and planting plans for suburban and woodland lots.

Further research showed most of these plants have medicinal and food value for humans. More forage species were identified from a lecture at this years Boston Flower & Garden show entitled "Edible Landscape: For Health & Habit", by John Forti, Executive Director, Bedrock Gardens of NH

These are what I'm considering;

Ground Cover
Virginia strawberry - pfaf.org...
Wild Sarsaparilla - pfaf.org...
Bearberry - pfaf.org...
Creeping Wintergreen - pfaf.org...
Partridge Berry - pfaf.org...
Bee Balm - pfaf.org...
Lemon Balm - pfaf.org...
Wild chives - pfaf.org...
Wild Garlic - pfaf.org...
Ostrich Fern - pfaf.org...
Wild Leek - pfaf.org...
Salad Burnet - pfaf.org...
Endive - pfaf.org...
Sweet fennel - pfaf.org...
Garden lovage - pfaf.org...
Sweet Cicely - www.gardeningknowhow.com...
Great Burdock - pfaf.org...
Sheeps Sorrel - pfaf.org...
Solomon's Seal - pfaf.org...
Wild Basil - pfaf.org...
Virginia Mountain Mint - pfaf.org...

Vines
American bittersweet - pfaf.org...
Virginia Creeper - pfaf.org...
California wild grape - pfaf.org...
Valley Grape - pfaf.org...

Shrubs
Juneberry - pfaf.org...
Black Chokeberry - pfaf.org...
Alternateleaf dogwood - pfaf.org...
Appalachian Tea - pfaf.org...
Adoxaceae - pfaf.org...
Linden arrowwood - pfaf.org...
Mooseberry - pfaf.org...
Dog Rose - pfaf.org...
Papaw - pfaf.org...

Trees
Viburnum - pfaf.org...
Staghorn Sumac - www.oplin.org...
Quince - pfaf.org...
Hackberry - pfaf.org...
Black Mulberry - pfaf.org...
Nannyberry - pfaf.org...
Dotted Hawthorn - pfaf.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wreckclues

Why not get some more herbs in there like thyme, oregano/marjoram, parsley, cilantro and sage? All are perennials.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Will use those in my domestic herb garden, in fact all but cilantro are in the hot frame now. I've also started Purslane and red viened sorrel.
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I applaud your idea but your list will give you lots of flavoring herbs and little to fill your belly. Look in to wild edible roots like wild carrot, Ipomea pandurata (morning glory with large edible tubers), asparagus and ground nut. Acorns are one of the best wild edibles but require some processing to remove tannins. Solomon's seal is excellent but grows only in moist woods as does Indian cucumber root.

Research what the local indian tribes grew and gathered - those are your best bet. What state are you in?

You may find this old thread helpful www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
double post
edit on 25-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You're on in it then. Good luck and take some pics for us.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
DBl

edit on 25-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

If you have any wet land you should already have Cattails.
Also I didn't see any mention of Milkweed or Ferns.
Excellent filler foods.

Cattails:
Stems - trail nibble, salad, cooked vegetable. The young shoots and stems taste like cucumber.

Flower spikes - Cooked Vegetable. Gather when green. Boil for a few minutes. They taste reminiscent of corn on the cob

Pollen - Flour. For a short time in late spring or early summer, before the flower spikes turn brown, the green pollen can be gathered by carefully bending the flower head into a bag, and shaking it gently. the flour will fall into the bottom of the bag.

Milkweed:
Stuffed Milkweed Pods Recipe

4 oz. cream cheese softened
1 tbsp. diced red onion
2 slices of cooked bacon
1 small jalapeno chopped fine
salt and pepper
20 milkweed pods, boiled and split
bread crumbs

Heat oven to 375°F.

Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl and mix in the diced onion, jalapeno, bacon, salt and pepper. Remove the immature seeds and silk from the boiled milkweed pods, and spoon in about 2 tsp. of cream cheese filling until the pod is full.

Roll the exposed seam of cream cheese in bread crumbs and place seam side up on a baking sheet covered with a sheet of parchment paper.

Bake the stuffed pods for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.

Fiddlehead Ferns:
Stir-fried or added to Soup.

Recipes all over the internet.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

You need plants that can actually feed you. Like oats

Try going on a permaculture course of something. Intergrate systems like nature. Make it work for you.

top topics

join