It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Century of the Self and Edward Bernays; Or How The Psyche Is Used Against Us.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Freud and he's bloodline sure do have some badness coursing through them
Cheers
www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

And to be clear, "ego" in this sense is not just vanity or a sense of superiority, although that was part of it; but particularly in terms of making it personal... invoking the self or the ego. So whatever presented wasn't just about "this" or "that," it was about the "me." Some way, somehow, the message spoke to them and their condition directly. Therefore, at some point, once people "own" the message, they will defend the message (and the messenger) as if they are defending themselves, because they are. But if one pays close enough attention, we will find that the message (and the goal) are founded upon a solid premise, the "truth" that hooks us, but somewhere takes a wrong turn.

Sorry for the late response! I just had to quote this really interesting part of your comment, which finally helped me really conceptualize how last century, even the early part, could be classified as about the Self. Freud's work with examining the psyche (whether all valid or not) did popularize a more introspective aproach to the self.
Then the work of Bernays served to tie the self more deeply to things outside of the self (objects or ideas we relate to).
Then we started toward the idea of self-actualization, now it's all about the selfie.

The bolded part in your quote is particularly interesting.

Thanks, Boadicea!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Then we started toward the idea of self-actualization, now it's all about the selfie.

Wow. I didn't even see that connection -- almost a fullfillment -- of the self-actualization, but you're right. Wow. My mind is spiraling now. I will be pondering this more. Thank you!

What's really striking to me about this is that part of the LGAT (Large Group Awareness Training) methodology, which are developed from Bernays' propaganda tactics, is to invoke as many senses as possible, thus further ingraining it into the mind/psyche. So even someone saying "Boom" in a soft voice (or in writing) brings the sense of hearing an explosion or impact into the equation.

Selfies provide the ultimate visual of ourselves. And to a certain extent, also invokes every other sense as it jars memories -- if taken at the beach, the scent of salt water will accompany the pic. And so on...

Definitely something to think about. I'm not one for taking selfies. Nor any pics at all! So I never really got it. But this puts it in a whole new perspective for me to ponder.

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So I'm almost through the documentary.

Wow.

Very insightful as well as offering things from a 3rd party's (foreign, but related) perspective.

I'm glad to see the someone else's take on what happened here. Aside from the natural filters that would limit a domestic account, they don't have much vested in the matter. If anything, they wouldn't want certain aspects of our social condition to bleed over through our entertainment industry.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Agreed, what a documentary! The perspective is staggering, imo.
I'm very glad you enjoyed it also, and especially because it's 4 hours long!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join