It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: How Much Legal Jeopardy Is Trump In?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well, we all know the mueller report is in and is a huge bust for the crazed loons who believed in obstruction and russian collusion. Trump was exonerated on both accounts. He was exonerated of collusion by mueller. He was exonerated of obstruction by the AG and DAG.

So what about all of the other "legal jeopardy" he faces? Well let's start with the biggest misunderstanding I see out there, it goes something like this:

"The SDNY has the all clear to go after trump now, no need to wait for federal actions to wrap up."

First, the SDNY IS federal action. The SDNY is simply an attorney's office in new york who administers federal law in that district (the southern district, in this case). That being the case, there seems to be little or no legal jeopardy for trump in the SDNY. The SDNY answers to william barr. Trump can fire the attorneys in the SDNY (he did that already once, with preet bharara). William barr can also replace them. The current US attorney in SDNY is Geoffrey Berman, a close associate of Rudy Giuliani.

But what these people who make these statements about the SDNY without realizing it's a federal attorneys office are getting at, is that the new york state AG, Letitia James, can go after him. They say things like "he can't pardon himself from state crimes, no getting out of that!" This is also just as erroneous. A state cannot indict a sitting president. If they could obama would have been indicted many times over, so would have bush, so would have clinton, so would have bush 1, so would have reagan, and so on. Which is why they cannot.

Even more scary, for those wishing for trump to rot in jail, is that the statute of limitations in new york will all be expired by the time trump leaves office. Therefore, they need to be finding new crimes, being committed now to prosecute him after he leaves. But the problem with that is, trump is no longer involved in much of his businesses.

But here's a handy table for the statute of limitations on charges in NY:

Most white collar crimes have short sentences. Many may point to maddoff's 150 years, but what they fail to realize is he was convicted of 11 counts and most of that sentence came from a few counts. So for most of what I've seen people charge trump has done, he has a 3 year statute of limitations. His 4 year presidency will put him outside of that. If he gets re-elected, his exposure to any NY prosecution goes to almost zero. Barring his having murdered a bunch of people or what not, the 6 year statute of limitations will be long expired.

Then there are the campaign finance violations. Again, you can't indict a sitting president, so that's out the window. But you can charge him a fine if you're the FEC, or rather, you can charge his campaign a fine. But what if you want to go after him criminally? Well the statute of limitations is 5 years. So he has some exposure to his last campaign when he leaves office, but the idea that it would be publicly acceptable on his way out is a pretty big leap.

Then there are the emoluments arguments making their way through the courts. The current view is that judges don't seem to be buying the argument that trump is violating the emoluments clause. But in the end, it may end up in the supreme court and the fact that it's not there now means it won't be there until at least the beginning of 2020. We all know the makeup of the SCOTUS bench favors constitutionalism. Furthermore, the relief being asked for is pretty paltry; they want trump to have to not accept any money from emoluments. So even if they prevail, trump loses a few bucks and that's, that. Even the AG's pushing this case have said it's not an impeachable offense, so it doesn't even achieve those means.

There are also some who think they (ominous they, of course) will go after trump's family. This would not only be a highly unpopular move, but it would be a bad plan. Federally trump can pardon. In states he also wields great power. Is there any doubt that there is corruption he could focus the justice department on in any state should they decide to maliciously go after his family or friends? What would preclude him from going after theirs?

I'm sure I've missed some of the other legal peril dems imagine trump is in, but the truth is, he is in very little legal jeopardy. Mueller represented their best chance at impeachment and that fizzled to nothing. They can whine and scream all they want but if the AG found no violations, the idea that there are high crimes and misdemeanors that would result in republicans abandoning the president en masse within the report, is absurd. Trump is in very little legal jeopardy because our system of government was designed to function, not to be ripped to shreds by partisans when they don't get their way.

Rest easy trump supporters. The man is in a good position.
Rest easy trump haters. There's not much you can do.

edit on 25-3-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:47 AM
link   
When will those seeking to cause domestic instability in the USA be held accountable for their unjustifiable attacks on the POTUS.....time to shut some of these Domestic Terrorists the hades up....the election is long over and the actions we have seen constantly and consistently forced upon the American people are tantamount to Domestic Terrorism after a defined point in time post-election.....problem is these Domestic Terrorists NEVER STOPPED....which defines them legally.....time to expand GITMO again.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

There is a major hole in your argument:

A sitting president cannot be charged with a crime. He needs to be impeached and then removed from office before any criminal charges are filed and before any indictments can be unsealead.

So...

uhh..

yea.

Cute thread, though.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

A sitting president cannot be charged with a crime. He needs to be impeached and then removed from office before any criminal charges are filed and before any indictments can be unsealead.

So...

uhh..

yea.

Cute thread, though.

You didn't read it did you?

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   

So...

uhh..

yea.

Cute thread, though.

There is a hole, in your hole.

Baring and obvious "high crime", you will never get an impeachment through the senate.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Thanks for the legal break down ....however.... when has something as simple as the constitution and the laws of the land much less moral fortitude stopped the deep state from going after their goal ? This present circus is over but there will be a new circus tent built in the next few weeks and a really big one before the elections.

I just hope the justice depart goes after the real crocks in the whole affair and to my knowledge they are all democrats..

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
what is this another Trump thread where everyone repeats the same exact BS they have typed into a single key macro on their pc again?

I could seriously automate most of the post in this thread, if anyone is hiring please contact me you can hire me to script your companies responses in Python, contract with an SLA
edit on 25-3-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Impeachment isn't a legal problem, it's a political one. But yes, I said sitting president multiple times. Obviously if he were to be impeached that would change things, but there's nothing to impeach him for. I brought that up a couple of times in the OP. But if you think trump is going to be impeached..... you probably believed russia collusion for the better part of two years, too.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Feel free to point me to another thread that covers this topic in an updated fashion. I'll delete this one, if it's redundant.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Thanks for the legal break down ....however.... when has something as simple as the constitution and the laws of the land much less moral fortitude stopped the deep state from going after their goal ? This present circus is over but there will be a new circus tent built in the next few weeks and a really big one before the elections.

I just hope the justice depart goes after the real crocks in the whole affair and to my knowledge they are all democrats..

No doubt those on the left will continue with unfounded allegations, but, despite what many beleive, the average voting joe will see it for exactly what it is. Sour grapes, and rhetoric.

It will be counter productive, and hurt them going into the next election cycle.

Most ppl, irrespective if party affiliation, want a "functional" government. At this point, the dems are poster children for dysfunction.
edit on 3252019 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
what is this another Trump thread where everyone repeats the same exact BS they have typed into a single key macro on their pc again?

I could seriously automate most of the post in this thread, if anyone is hiring please contact me you can hire me to script your companies responses in Python, contract with an SLA

Do you have anything to say on the topic of the thread ?
Nothing ?
Deflection by a radical leftist ?
Searching for work ?
I don't know .
Which is it ?
I.E. , your point was ?

edit on 3/25/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Did we establish a "post limit" on ATS that I am unaware of?

No one forces you to read threads you don't want to read.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Bad news for Pence. Every liberal I know prefers Trump to Pence. At least Trump is a social liberal. Maybe Pence and his team will finally back off trying to get Trump out of office.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Remember when you first showed up here and pretended to be a trump supporter, a free market capitalist, and against universal healthcare? I remember.

This is one of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

A note on the emoluments arguments...

As written it excluded businesses owned prior to gaining office.

Otherwise 6 of our 7 first Presidents would have been guilty of breaking the emoluments clause.

Now, since the majority of our first 7 Presidents helped write the emoluments clause, I'm pretty sure they had a good idea about what it meant...

edit on 25-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Remember when you first showed up here and pretended to be a trump supporter, a free market capitalist, and against universal healthcare? I remember.

This is one of my favorites.

Ouch!!!

I had vaguely remembered a time when the poser... erm, poster at least attempted to pretend to be more centrist.

Nice catch there... perhaps he devolved?

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The Dems are Still trying to Overstep their Congressional Authority in going after President Trump . When will this Nonsense End ?

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So...

uhh..

yea.

Cute thread, though.

Thee is a major hole in your replay...

They said no further indictments for anyone including Trump, and the investigation team has been disbanded, so as far as Muller goes its a done deal.

The Dems will now go state level and try and find something in NY that they can push, hell I bet they go back to Trump's 8th grade looking.

edit on 25-3-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Sure you could, sure.

🤣

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Perhaps. I don't want to accuse someone of being a paid shill, so we'll go with the devolving explanation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join