It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Historical Treasure Bordering Ancient Mesopotamia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
A Historical Treasure Bordering Ancient Mesopotamia
(news.cnrs.fr)

In Iraqi Kurdistan, excavations carried out by a French archaeological mission have revealed an ancient city on the site of Kunara. Towards the end of the 3rd millennium BC, this city stood in the heart of an unknown kingdom: that of the mountain people, who had until then remained in the shadow of their powerful Mesopotamian neighbours.

This is a nicely detailed article about a French research teams discoveries in a region that was seldom explored due to geopolitical tensions. They were able to recover clay tablets with Cuneiform writing dating back to that form of writing's earliest use. The ancient city is Kunara, and it's inhabitants were tribal people from the Zagros mountain region (possibly the Lullubi), much like their brethren the Sumerians. The researchers also explore the connections between this city and the possibility it was one of the capitals conquered by Sumerians, namely Naram-Sin.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting article and pictures.

Hard to believe this building is more than 4 thousand years old!

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Excellent find.

I'm definitely going to see if i can "dig" a little deeper.

Seems to point to an offshoot of the conventional Assyrian city state.

I find the fact that there is no mention of weaponry particularly interesting (unless I missed it in the quick readthru).
edit on 3242019 by Mach2 because: Add last line

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

There was a picture of this arrowhead. "Fragment of an arrowhead made of obsidian. The obsidian comes from Anatolia several hundred kilometers from Kunara."

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Awesome! More new discoveries! MORE!

With my brightness turned down low on my phone, your profile picture looks like a man in a headdress holding a banjo.

That is all.

No I'm just kidding, theres more.

I read parts of the article. They found dozens of more cuneiform tablets, about 10cm on each side, which is pretty standard I think although there are of course larger inscriptions like the various copies of the Code of Hammurabi (sp?)

What blows my mind, is that there are over a half a million tablets OFFICIALLY KNOWN, and only a tiny percentage, about 5% of them have been translated. Sure, many of them are just as mundane as a grocery list. But still I'm sure their writing wasnt 95% inventory lists and ledgers. There are still exciting things waiting to be translated, catalogued...

And that is just cuneiform tablets. There is a lot of stuff packed away that hasnt even been seen by more than a dozen or a half dozen people. If we were not such a sick society, we would have more people working on it. At this rate, it will take hundreds of years to catalogue everything.

And meanwhile we are discovering more and more crates of stuff....

And meanwhile as the decades tick by, the stuff from TODAY will be interesting and be added to the hoarder like collection of human objects that we simply cannot just throw away...

Just think of an archeologist in the 1800s. Hes sitting there looking at these ancient things. Now fast forward to Today, and, that very same archeologists belongings are being examined by us as an interesting artifact from the past...

Now think of another 200+ years in the future... This was what they called a Smart Phone. They would hold these things in their hands for hours until they got carpal tunnel. That was a strange 30 year period in human history. This was before InterMind was created, let alone Visual InterMind. People used to do Everything with their hands. Their mind was just trapped inside their brain and their hands and voices were the only way they could really interact with the outside world. Could you imagine? Eating with your hands? Gross right? Masturbating...wiping your butt...taking a shower, cleaning clothes, cleaning the floor, cleaning the dishes, cleaning the car, ..all had to be done by hand. They had simple devices in the 2010s that could be controlled by mental projection, but mostly just simple children's toys. Through the use of these, gradually advancing devices, the human race finally began to exercise the mind in new ways, until finally, in the year 2112, the first examples of telekinetic powers with no assistance from technology was documented..

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the experts are hard at work cross linking the writings from Southern Mesopotamia. I remember reading one of the stories which featured the god En.lil fighting these barbarians.

Situation:
We need more grain, but we don't have enough trade goods at the moment.

Okay, we'll get the army together, call on Enlil to give us victory.

Our scouts report a storm brewing in the foothills.

That's our sign "Enlil is with us!"

Then we'll have an epic tale to record for future historians.

We'll just leave out the part about what will be called piracy in the future.

What?

I don't know, the word has been coined yet.

edit on 24-3-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Sweet,
Akkadians, not Sumerians and the city dates to a very intersting period in the Akkadian Empire, the beginning of its fall, 2200 BC.

Just to throw a wrench in the works, check out M.A. Courty' and H Weiss' work at Tell Leilan.
link.springer.com... its a preview.
I'll post links to some of here more provacative works later.
www.dropbox.com...

edit on p0000003k37322019Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:37:45 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join