It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultraconservative cardinal Sarah launches wide scale attack on pope Francis' reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The Church is living a “mystery of treason,” a “mystery of Judas”, Curia Cardinal Robert Sarah writes in his new book “Le soir approche et déjà le jour baisse” (Fayard), “The Church is dying because the shepherds are afraid of speaking with truth and clarity,” he adds, “We are afraid of the media.” As a consequence, the Catholics are “confused”. For Sarah the Church has become a “den of darkness” and a “cave of thieves”. Certain men of God have turned into “agents of the Evil one.” And, “We have betrayed like Judas.” Sarah calls relativism “the mask of Judas, dressed as an intellectual.” “We tolerate everything” and “Catholic doctrine is put in question,” Sarah stresses, “In the name of stances which they call ‘intellectual’, theologians delight in deconstructing the dogmas and emptying Catholic morals of their profound significance.”gloria.tv...

Cardinal Sarah is one of the leading opposition figures against pope Francis' efforts to reform the 1.2 bln Catholic Church.
Sarah not only criticized the reforms on multiple occasions, he proposed concrete measures to turn the things back to pre-Vatican II council status quo.

The polarization inside the Catholic Church's highest circles prepares a bumpy road ahead of the next conclave that should elect pope Francis' successor once the 82 year old pope resigns or dies. After the resignation of pope Benedict in 2013, the cardinals were divided along similar lines conservatives versus liberals. However they managed to choose the acceptable figure of the jesuit cardinal Bergoglio from predominantly catholic Latin America, with the clear mandate to start a wide reform.

Such chance may not happen again though. The conservative minority in the hi ranks grew increasingly bold during the reforms. Many Synods were rendered ineffective because of that opposition. The pope's encyclical Amoris Letitia was almost demonized by them, because of the suggestion that the remarried couples might receive the Holy Communion. The gay issue was never put on a real debate on these Synods (hi profile gatherings of bishops) thus making any liberalization to depend only on the local bishops' good will.

That war inside the ranks may lead to a deadlock on the next conclave, where the minority conservatives will find it impossible to elect a conservative pope. They may therefore walk out of the conclave and elect their own conservative pope, not stationed in Rome. Cardinal Sarah is the "perfect" candidate for that role, having in mind his drive to turn things back to pre-Vatican II era. Apparently, after publishing this book, he cannot hope to win the majority votes in a normal conclave. Most cardinals, although not as liberal as the German card. Marx, will not want to turn back history to a long gone religious status quo.

Whatever the result of a future conclave (or two of them), the current publication is a major attack on the reforms of pope Francis. One may think, some cardinal writes a fanatic book, so what? Unfortunately, many core believers in the local communities tend to listen to such voices.

Maybe it is the time pope Francis to realize he doesn't have endless time for a reform that already drags legs 6 years. And allowing people like cardinal Sarah to speak publicly "in the name of the "true" Catholic Church", as they consider themselves, only makes the things worse. If cardinal Sarah was presidential adviser or minister, he would long be fired for much less than that.

Seems to me, pope Francis should choose between diplomacy with his opponents and the reform he was chosen for, at this very late stage of his pontificate. Because, even if he plans to resign this year (nothing strange, at 82 with six passed years as pope) what he leaves after himself may well decide whether the world's biggest Church will find strength to reform, or will fail big with unpredictable consequences.
edit on 23-3-2019 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Maybe they should start selling their golden crosses and millions of acres of land to actually help folk instead of hiding pedo's and staying in the dark ages.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
maybe one of those alledged " top sekrit vatican deathsquads " we keep hearing about should get off thier arse and slot him

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting. It surprises me how people still believe in divine guidance of the catholic church. So much division, controversy, and hidden sins...

Either way, it's an interesting to see how this ancient organization has politics inside of it. No sympathy for churches and their controlling schemes.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

if you are inside, you will see too much politics and too little divinity in many of her chosen sons.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

I like Pope Francis.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I like Pope Francis.

I don’t.
He helped protect pedophiles in South America.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I like him too. he did the impossible, to move forward despite the fieriest opposition from inside.

After him, my suggestion is there will be two Catholic Churches. The bigger one will be much more liberal, and the smaller one will unite all those ultra conservatives who now torpedo the reforms.

The division is not something to be decided in one day. it is already a fact. Go into a Latin mass community and you will see a completely different "catholic church" dating back 100 years ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I like Pope Francis.

Most progressives do, go figure.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Poop Francis...

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Has this book come out. The source you linked doesn't appear quite credible. Things can be out of context. Unless he's radically changed his positions since October 2015.

Intervention of Robert Cardinal Sarah, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
Ordinary Synod on the Family, October 2015
...Then we must discern those realities that the Holy Spirit is already raising up to reveal the Truth of the Family as an intimate communion in diversity (man and woman) that is generous in the gift of life. We bishops have the urgent duty to recognize and promote the charisms, movements, and ecclesial realities in which the Family is truly revealed, this prodigy of harmony, love of life and hope in Eternity, this cradle of faith and school charity. And there are so many realities offered by Providence, together with the Second Vatican Council, in which this miracle is offered.
Cardinal Sarah: ISIS and Gender Ideology Are Like 'Apocalyptic Beasts'

Has he made other official statements since then? The idea of a split may be overblown. But I don't know.

It would strike me as a bit ironic for the man who said "...Truth of the Family as an intimate communion in diversity (man and woman)" to then lead a divorce movement to split the Church over diversity.

edit on 23-3-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

he is speaking all the time. You are quoting another article. His last book I quoted was released March 20, 2019 in French.
He didn't change his mind...unfortunately

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Okay. After reading three more recent articles and Wikipedia, I think I understand the alarm.

It's just that the outfit Gloria.tv is already highly critical of Francis.
I can't think of any helpful suggestions.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The Jesuits still run the show,

If you think this Pope is benevolent and for the people you forget his past involvement in South America

axisoflogic.com...

Pope Francis’ Dark Past As Agent of U.S.-Backed Argentine Military Junta Murder, torture and “disappearances” were commonplace under the military dictatorship that gripped Argentina in the 1970s.

Pope Francis, despite being hailed as a “progressive” figure today, was supportive of the Argentine junta, even aiding in some of the atrocities it carried out.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   

with his opponents and the reform he was chosen

What reform? Still a den of thieves and pedophiles

top topics

join