It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Democrats Work to Remove ‘Huckleberry Finn’ From Schools

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: InTheLight
Well, those that are making the rules there disagree with you, so what can you do?

I can literally vote people like them out of office since I live in New Jersey.

Well it's not just them, it's also the students that have asked that it not be taught in class, but some schools have it remaining in the library for those students who do wish to read it.

www.bustle.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

The people who do have a grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area are banning the book

Which proves they indeed have absolutely no grasp on how to deal with children.......

I happen to think other books could be substituted to get across the same message without causing anyone to feel uncomfortable

Reality and life dont care about how comfortable people are.........this sentence illustrates just one facet of society that has gone completely off the rails.......

Who knows best?, you, the posters here, and I certainly do not.

Definitely not people wanting to ban books to spare someones feelings, or to coddle their fragile sense of world view......

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462
You always crack me up!

Thanks, but in my humorous replies is often the reality.

This book is not going to ruin your children's lives, it isn't going to adversely impact them in the future. Life isn't a parade of puppies and kittens and where you're always comfortable. Learning how life was in the past, viewed in the case via the prism of Twain's fantastic literature, is highly important. It gives you have a better understanding of the times our ancestors inhabited and a greater appreciation for your own.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

You call it coddling, they call it respect for their well being. Potatoes - potatos.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Only in the UK....oh, hang on a minute.....

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Well it's not just them, it's also the students that have asked that it not be taught in class, but some schools have it remaining in the library for those students who do wish to read it.

www.bustle.com...

That's wonderful, maybe we can ban trigonometry too if they get all salty about the subject. 'It made me feel all, like, sad, and, like, you know, uncomfortable, because, you know, like, I couldn't do it'.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462
You always crack me up!

Thanks, but in my humorous replies is often the reality.

This book is not going to ruin your children's lives, it isn't going to adversely impact them in the future. Life isn't a parade of puppies and kittens and where you're always comfortable. Learning how life was in the past, viewed in the case via the prism of Twain's fantastic literature, is highly important. It gives you have a better understanding of the times our ancestors inhabited and a greater appreciation for your own.

You don't have to go that far back in time to learn about the plight of African-Americans in U.S.A., just watch the news.

link   

So children, who are yet to develop fully, emotionally, physically, and mentally, now know whats best for them in order to do so?

Holy crap I cannot even fathom your thought processes.......possibly because you grew up in school like these children did.....

Well since they know better, why have any rules? Why have any boundaries? Hell why have learning at all?

theres not enough facepalms for this sort of backwards thinking

link   

www.bustle.com...

That's wonderful, maybe we can ban trigonometry too if they get all salty about the subject. 'It made me feel all, like, sad, and, like, you know, uncomfortable, because, you know, like, I couldn't do it'.

You are grasping, or is it gasping?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You don't have to go that far back in time to learn about the plight of African-Americans in U.S.A., just watch the news.

You obviously haven't either read or comprehended the book in question if you think it's solely about 'the plight of African-Americans'.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Only in the UK....oh, hang on a minute.....

easy there.....at least we wont go to jail quite yet for misgendering someone , or talking smack on FB........

Its probably not far off though........

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You are grasping, or is it gasping?

Not at all, they want the book banned because of 'feelz'. Creates a little bit of a slippery slope since anyone can claim 'feelz' over anything.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I think that historical atrocities, or the truth, could be better understood, in conjunction with political science, psychology, and philosophy courses, in understanding human history on a wider learning scale, at the university level when students are, hopefully, more emotionally mature.

Thats just the problem, people dont get emotionally mature by being coddled........

Again, when dealing with children the rules of the games are different.

Again not to be a jerk here, but judging by your statements, it doesnt seem you have a good grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area

The people who do have a grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area are banning the book and they have stated their reasons why. I happen to think other books could be substituted to get across the same message without causing anyone to feel uncomfortable. Who knows best?, you, the posters here, and I certainly do not.

Why should people not feel uncomfortable? This idea is confusing to me. Life is uncomfortable. Since when did being uncomfortable become this terrible awful thing to avoid?

I spend almost every day uncomfortable. Right now my back hurts, my boots have a hole right now, so my foot's soaked, i'm exhausted, i'm aty sixth day of work this week. I'm genuinely feeling pretty uncomfortable right now.

As well as physical discomfort, i've had to do many things in ky life i've found uncomfortable. I've had things happen beyond my control, i've been put into situations where I lack proper experience to deal with it, i've been verbally and physically attacked by people, i've had to deal with government agencies, doctors and hospitals, family members dying, bad things happening to friends.

Not all of these things were as an adult and I doubt my experiences in life are unique. But, not always being comfortable as a child helped me deal with being uncomfortable as an adult and a lot of the things that have made me uncomfortable as an adult have made me more useful at life. So, I don't sit and blame the world for every little thing that goes wrong, I don't cry every time I have a bad day and go running for some pills, I don't tend to be offended by most things, and while I have problems, compared to the kind of stupid # I see and hear people complain and blame others for every day, I think.i'm doing alright.

I'm glad as kid my parents never coddled me and kept life's discomforts hidden from me.
edit on 23/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

holy........."Who needs to know anything just watch it on TV"

edit on 3/23/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

link   
I get that some will be sensitised by this, I don't like the idea of denying others the chance to learn about important literary works because of it though. Maybe they could run two lit classes? The open one and the restricted, that way no one has to miss out or feel bad.

link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

So children, who are yet to develop fully, emotionally, physically, and mentally, now know whats best for them in order to do so?

Holy crap I cannot even fathom your thought processes.......possibly because you grew up in school like these children did.....

Well since they know better, why have any rules? Why have any boundaries? Hell why have learning at all?

theres not enough facepalms for this sort of backwards thinking

It is still not for you or I to determine what measures are taken in schools regarding this book it is up to the students, educators and parents who are trying to foster an environment of inclusion, but like I said the message could be relayed in many other ways without making anyone feel uncomfortable.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It is still not for you or I to determine what measures are taken in schools regarding this book...

Yeah, actually, it is. We, the property tax payers, who fund the schools, have full input via the PTA and the School Board. Do you not live in the United States?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I get that some will be sensitised by this, I don't like the idea of denying others the chance to learn about important literary works because of it though. Maybe they could run two lit classes? The open one and the restricted, that way no one has to miss out or feel bad.

That would use up too much resource money, that is why the book stays in the library for any interested students.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

It is still not for you or I to determine what measures are taken in schools regarding this book...

Yeah, actually, it is. We, the property tax payers, who fund the schools, have full input via the PTA and the School Board. Do you not live in the United States?

I do not live in the U.S. but the same processes are here in my country. Guess what, the school administration and Board make up the rules according to what the students and parents want. Recently here, the sex ed curriculum was deemed to be too much information too soon for some parents, so they now have an option to opt out of the class altogether.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It is still not for you or I to determine what measures are taken in schools regarding this book it is up to the students

Actually yes it is up to me to determine how schools teach my children............that said I hope you dont have any kids, because apparently you think its the Schools job to decide how they are taught.......

educators and parents who are trying to foster an environment of inclusion,

Literature doesnt exclude anyone...........this is a stupid premise........

but like I said the message could be relayed in many other ways without making anyone feel uncomfortable.

Again this "comfortable" narrative is one of the biggest problems in society now days.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join