It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Democrats Work to Remove ‘Huckleberry Finn’ From Schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This book is being banned because it "can cause students to feel upset, marginalized or humiliated and can create an uncomfortable atmosphere in the classroom,”.

Since when is getting upset or uncomfortable detrimental to learning of developing the ability to think for one's self?

Plenty of great books make us uncomfortable and are upsetting...by intent.
This is one of the reasons WHY they are great books that they have an impact on society through learning from them.

Why make learning and thinking "comfortable"?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
This book is being banned because it "can cause students to feel upset, marginalized or humiliated and can create an uncomfortable atmosphere in the classroom,”.

Since when is getting upset or uncomfortable detrimental to learning of developing the ability to think for one's self?

Plenty of great books make us uncomfortable and are upsetting...by intent.
This is one of the reasons WHY they are great books that they have an impact on society through learning from them.

Why make learning and thinking "comfortable"?

You are speaking from the point of view of an adult with life's experience. The educators in charge have the responsibility of the well being of 'all' of their students and it is their call.

Also, I wish they had banned "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" in my school because that was an affront to my intelligence as a young teenager and I let the teacher know - she subsequently gave me a bad grade.

Film critic Roger Ebert wrote[4] that the book was "so banal that it had to be sold to adults; kids would have seen through it."

edit on 13CDT10America/Chicago018101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

They will also want to ban Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm... watch how this escalates and spills over into other "triggering" topics and words they remove from the education system.

Radical PC culture and liberalism in our government and school systems

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
You are speaking from the point of view of an adult with life's experience.

As the great Kinky Friedman once said, 'Treat children like adults and adults like children'.

I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn when I was a child and I am 100% normal.

edit on 23-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Isn't it crazy that Huckleberry Finn was written for adults not children?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
That is one of the best books I have written, it gives a person a perspective of how it was back in the old days here in America. It does not promote Racism, most people know that things are different these days. Some black people I know still use some different speach patterns, I think it is interesting, and lots of white people down south have a mix of this in their dialect. Cool, I can't understand why those Democrats are going after this book, that kind of censorship is supposed to be illegal. It is just a book, pretty much a fiction at that. Probably the only truth in it is the way they talked back then.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I don't feel my cultural historical past from WWII is relevant to me now and the hate, violence and vile name-calling was experienced by my white ancestors at that time, as well as before and after immigrating. I would prefer a general take on that time in history and not give those that hate and are violent towards other cultures/races any type of platform with children.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it...........

If you sanitize history in order to coddle peoples feelings, then they never understand the true horror and thus are more likely to repeat it......

We are seeing the fruits of that now with young people who are repeating the same mistakes that lead to Germany 1942.....

Your statement is precisely the reason why people SHOULD learn history and all its horrors

Also, I wish they had banned "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" in my school because that was an affront to my intelligence as a young teenager and I let the teacher know - she subsequently gave me a bad grade.

And judging by your responses youre the PERFECT example of why this should never happen.......

Yikes man........

I never thought I would see the day seemingly "normal" members of the populace would advocate for banning books
edit on 3/23/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12
Isn't it crazy that Huckleberry Finn was written for adults not children?

I don't recall Twain saying one way or another.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I don't feel my cultural historical past from WWII is relevant to me now and the hate, violence and vile name-calling was experienced by my white ancestors at that time, as well as before and after immigrating. I would prefer a general take on that time in history and not give those that hate and are violent towards other cultures/races any type of platform with children.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it...........

If you sanitize history in order to coddle peoples feelings, then they never understand the true horror and thus are more likely to repeat it......

We are seeing the fruits of that now with young people who are repeating the same mistakes that lead to Germany 1942.....

Your statement is precisely the reason why people SHOULD learn history and all its horrors

And judging by your responses youre the PERFECT example of why book banning should never happen.......

Yikes man........

I never thought I would see the day I would see everyday people advocate banning books......

Banning is my subjective word for that one particular book. I think there was better reading material out there that could convey a better message.

Again, when dealing with children the rules of the games are different.

I think that historical atrocities, or the truth, could be better understood, in conjunction with political science, psychology, and philosophy courses, in understanding human history on a wider learning scale, at the university level when students are, hopefully, more emotionally mature.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
you know, if you seriously think about it they should be working to make books like Huckleberry Finn and such works mandatory reading in school. in fact i have to say i'm actually surprised upon thinking about it, that the democrats and liberals and people wanting this and other like works banned, are not pushing for mandatory reading of books such as this as a part of pushing their agenda of hate against whites. to show and teach the evils of that time period. and of course to push that racial hate indoctrination even more especially among black students.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You are speaking from the point of view of an adult with life's experience.

As the great Kinky Friedman once said, 'Treat children like adults and adults like children'.

I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn when I was a child and I am 100% normal.

So say you.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I think that historical atrocities, or the truth, could be better understood, in conjunction with political science, psychology, and philosophy courses, in understanding human history on a wider learning scale, at the university level when students are, hopefully, more emotionally mature.

Thats just the problem, people dont get emotionally mature by being coddled........

Again not to be a jerk here, but judging by your statements, it doesnt seem you have a good grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area
edit on 3/23/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
you know, if you seriously think about it they should be working to make books like Huckleberry Finn and such works mandatory reading in school. in fact i have to say i'm actually surprised upon thinking about it, that the democrats and liberals and people wanting this and other like works banned, are not pushing for mandatory reading of books such as this as a part of pushing their agenda of hate against whites. to show and teach the evils of that time period. and of course to push that racial hate indoctrination even more especially among black students.

It was pretty much mandatory reading when I was in school, we read all the classics, it was eyeopening and englightening to say the least.....

Not only that, you get an idea of what REAL literature is..........not the crap they want to replace them with now days......

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So, coddle the teens because they might be uncomfortable with classic literature yet you are so smart that you challenged your teacher - are you saying minority kids are dumber than your superior self?

Because it kinda sounds like you are saying just that.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray

So, coddle the teens because they might be uncomfortable with classic literature yet you are so smart that you challenged your teacher - are you saying minority kids are dumber than your superior self?

Because it kinda sounds like you are saying just that.

Is it coddling the teens or deeming the content not relevant or necessary?

Actually, when I challenged the teacher, two other girls joined me - does that make them superior too?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Thats just the problem, people dont get emotionally mature by being coddled........

Again not to be a jerk here, but judging by your statements, it doesnt seem you have a good grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area

The people who do have a grasp on how to deal with children in this particular area are banning the book and they have stated their reasons why. I happen to think other books could be substituted to get across the same message without causing anyone to feel uncomfortable. Who knows best?, you, the posters here, and I certainly do not.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

So say you.

Who else better to give that assesment about me than me?

Book-banners like in the Original Post can choose to raise their children like vealsand banning Twain becasue feelz is not exactly sound reasoning.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

So say you.

Who else better to give that assesment about me than me?

Book-banners like in the Original Post can choose to raise their children like vealsand banning Twain becasue feelz is not exactly sound reasoning.

Well, those that are making the rules there disagree with you, so what can you do?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Well, those that are making the rules there disagree with you, so what can you do?

I can literally vote people like them out of office since I live in New Jersey.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

a reply to: IAMTAT

Understandable. When I read that in school here in New Jersey the first thing I did was get on a raft and float down on the Passaic River to Newark.

You always crack me up!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join