It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Democrats Work to Remove ‘Huckleberry Finn’ From Schools

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
"Paging Mark Twain...Paging Mark Twain...please report to the book-burning pyre!"

A couple of New Jersey lawmakers, Verlina Reynolds-Jackson (D-Mercer) and Jamel Holley (D-Union) are leading an effort to have Mark Twain's timeless classic, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, removed from teaching in schools.

Their resolution claims:

“The novel’s use of a racial slur and its depiction of racist attitudes can cause students to feel upset, marginalized or humiliated and can create an uncomfortable atmosphere in the classroom,”

“The inclusion of [the novel] in the school curriculum in effect requires adolescents to read and discuss a book containing hurtful, oppressive, and highly offensive language directed at African-Americans,”

To me, this is flat out censorship and millions of future students will be robbed of the experience of learning, from a timeless classic, history and life in 19th. century America.

Political correctness by insane Leftists is out of control...HOW is what these radical Left wing legislators doing...any different than Hitler's book burnings?

www.politico.com...

bigleaguepolitics.com...

NOTE: Apologies for premature early post of this thread...dog jumped on me wanting me to make his breakfast and made me post before complete.
additional edits were necessary.

edit on 23-3-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Mar 23 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS ADDED

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I guess the "Jim" characters are fighting back!

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Did they run out of statues to remove?

I guess book-burning is back in vogue again.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Understandable. When I read that in school here in New Jersey the first thing I did was get on a raft and float down on the Passaic River to Newark.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Books are more dangerous than statues.
They make you think.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I remember going to a parent's meeting at my kid's elementary school...and some very religious parent stood up to say how Harry Potter books were satanic and should not be allowed in school.

I objected to that then...and object to this now.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

“The inclusion of [the novel] in the school curriculum in effect requires adolescents to read and discuss a book containing hurtful, oppressive, and highly offensive language directed at African-Americans,”

I am sure all the "adolescents" (ages between 10 and 19) have to do is talk to their grandparents to get the real history on that subject, that is, if it is still relevant to them.

I don't feel my cultural historical past from WWII is relevant to me now and the hate, violence and vile name-calling was experienced by my white ancestors at that time, as well as before and after immigrating. I would prefer a general take on that time in history and not give those that hate and are violent towards other cultures/races any type of platform with children.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Ooh, democrats have finally found an issue that justifies a constitutional amendment!

Of course they're on the wrong side, per usual...

Let's ban censorship- right in the constitution.
Might play well with some of the other things we've been dealing with lately.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So are you saying all congress members of both parties are idiots?
edit on 13CDT09America/Chicago04490931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I can see them folk just a'getting - - - - - - by the minute. Now a couple trillion in reparations, get rid of Chick' o filet, Del Taco & Taco Bell, BoJangles, statue of liberty, Washington memorial, Lincoln memorial, NC. Tar heels, Steele Reserve, and the world would all be right again..... wait.......................... lets start back with the Hebrews...and work forward.., oh yea, and the black plague, we can't have that, we'll just call it the blemish plague.

edit on 23-3-2019 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

“The novel’s use of a racial slur and its depiction of racist attitudes can cause students to feel upset, marginalized or humiliated and can create an uncomfortable atmosphere in the classroom,”

I'm saying if that's the precident they're setting RAP would have to be banned.

All things being EQUAL.

White Privilege,

White Supremacist.

Are racial slurs as well.

Ip so facto.

BAN EM.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

When I read about it yesterday I didn't like that idea but then I wonder what a black kid could feel reading that book in school.... I don't know.

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
HOLY #!

Democrats are the enemies of the constitution. There was NO ONE in Twain's time who was more averse to racism than he.

Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: InTheLight

I'm saying if that's the precident they're setting RAP would have to be banned.

All things being EQUAL.

White Privilege,

White Supremacist.

Are racial slurs as well.

Ip so facto.

BAN EM.

Do they play RAP as a teaching aid?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There was no Manifest Destiny, no Hollocost, the Earth and Moon are Flat. and.....

a reply to: Trueman

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
One day you will only find History in the stewardship of White excentric preservationists, and hidden to the public.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Freedom of the children

Children have rights and liberties like adults. But children are more fragile and vulnerable than adults. So, until they become adults, the liberties of children are more restricted in order to ensure their security and well-being.

Nevertheless, they have liberties which it is important to respect. It concerns mainly liberties of “citizenship”; the freedom of speech, expression and association, and “spiritual” or “religious” liberties; the freedom of thought, consciousness and religion.

www.humanium.org...
edit on 13CDT10America/Chicago009101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

www.twainquotes.com...

I have no race prejudices, and I think I have no color prejudices or caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. Indeed I know it. I can stand any society. All that I care to know is that a man is a human being--that is enough for me; he can't be any worse.

Why do they keep picking people to go after that stood against the things they're saying is wrong with them? I don't understand this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join