It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation is Nationalism (is RACIST?!?)!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I like embracing aspects of other cultures. I do it all the time. I just got a sweet pair of mariachi pants paired with my Icelandic sweater and some sick Adidas while eating Indian food with chopsticks. And a newly found interest in country music sung in Japanese. And I like the fact that the world uses a lot of things from American culture. Like cars and computers. Only a very small number of people are actually offended but we act like its a huge problem. It's like when a kid gets a hurt. If they see you panic, they start to scream louder. But if you act like it's not a big deal, because a little scrape or cut isn't, then usually they realize it's not that bad, comforted by the Spider-Man band aid and are back to playing with my knives while I try to go back to sleep.
edit on 24-3-2019 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=24277168]ketsuko[/pos
edit on 24-3-2019 by Starhooker because: Double

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Reactions to reactions to reactions to reactions... It brews more conflict than actually getting passed it. Someone needs to take the high road. It has better views. Unless the conflict gives your life meaning then by all means, enjoy the bumper to bumper traffic down there.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
a reply to: 3n19m470

What I'm saying is we all know how idiotic and absurd it is to get offended by someone who is " culturally appropriating". It's

One imitates what another does because they admire them

**Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery**

The idea behind the proverb has been around for several centuries.

So why would any one be offended?

""cultural appropriation"" equates to admiration and flattery.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

You'll have a better time when your family isn't waging sanctions and war against the neighbors (who do the same).

Which illustrates the short-sighted egoism at play here, and it explains why nationalism hasn't anything to offer with regards to the betterment of humanity.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Starhooker

We all embrace quite a bit from other cultures. The English language is the king of appropriation. In the US at least, many of our words are from other cultures: opossum and raccoon are Native American, tornado is Spanish, bratwurst is German. And those are just a few examples. Many of our place names are drawn from other cultures and languages too. If we exiled all the words from other places that are in regular use, we'd have large gaps in our day to day usage.

Today, we're making fajita tacos, but our marinade has a large dollop or soy sauce in it. That's two separate cultures right there. Our favorite recipe collection has foods from Thailand and Iran and other countries and cultures tucked cheek by jowl next to standards like meatloaf and chicken and dumplings.

Most of us live in a pretty culturally diverse environment and lifestyle whether or not we want to. It just happens.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: eletheia

You'll have a better time when your family isn't waging sanctions and war against the neighbors (who do the same).
Which illustrates the short-sighted egoism at play here, and it explains why nationalism hasn't anything to offer with regards to the betterment of humanity.

Lol!! My family and extended family live quietly in peace and are not at

war with any one....... Maybe its because we live among like minded people?

We take care of our own, and let the rest of humanity take care of themselves,

I think its called personal responsibility.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join