It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation is Nationalism (is RACIST?!?)!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The sorts that buy into this "Cultural Appropriation" stuff... show me an example of their banter that isnt centered entirely around racial connotations.

Now to state the obvious:

Nationalism is FASCISM!!!

BUT WAIT:

As I think back, whenever I've seen a big ordeal about "Cultural Appropriation" it was Nationalism based. Like how white people are supposed to be banned from getting dreadlocks (because that's "Jamaican"), no sombrero hats for whites because that's Mexican... and so on with whites cant make Mexican etc foods, I've seen a big noise about white making Thai foods... and on and on... all of it is EVIL "Cultural Appropriation".

EXCEPT the problem is Mexican isnt a "race", Thai isnt a "race", Jamaican isnt a "race", et al etc so forth and so on...

OR are they?

Well if those localized distinctions actually count, then why are "Native Americans" only viewed as if one race? Whom, of course, we cant wear the headdress style of one particular 'race' of them or else supposedly offend "ALL" of them?

Point is to the ignorant sorts that think in these terms they treat them all as one nation, in a sort of extrapolative substitute of the current nation (empire) that replaced the lot of them as if one in of itself (hypothetically retroactively speaking).

But wait a minute, Hitler (RACIST [really really RACIST]) was a Nationalist!!

Where the sorts into this "Cultural Appropriation" stuff insist that Nationalism is RACISM...

...most of all exemplified by Hollywood...

...Hollywood itself being its own bonafide distinct culture (meaning if we follow the logic of this "Cultural Appropriation" noise: anybody outside of Hollywood that uses the innovations of Hollywood would therefore be "evil" (RACIST) "Cultural Appropriationists").

Best of all though is how Hollywood wields all this sort of stuff in its attempts to shape our NATION... just nevermind how Hollywood itself is but of a tool of our true Elite Masters... all integrated into the total media apparatus hell bent on keeping US distracted from its maniacal ambition to utilize our nation in its imperialist pursuits to dominate the planet...

...to imperialistically dominate the very sorts of places we're not even supposed to appreciate in terms of societal gimmick levels, our job as 'civilians' is to ensure we fight about such tedious details outside of all of that machination.

Its even better than that, and not merely because everything mentioned above are merely aspects of Tribalism, though:
STEP 1: Look up "Hollywood Cultural Imperialism".
STEP 2: Now apply the minefield above to that reality.
STEP 3: Take all that and describe to us the Ultimate "RACISM" that exists!!!

edit on 23-3-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Keep stoking the fire. That's what ats is for. All these stories would have quickly fizzled before the internet. But now the anger gets perpetuated. Until the next pot stirring story, which is always only a few clicks away.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Alright, WTF, do I need to spell out the obvious here?!:?!

Culture transcends RACE.

For example, here goes Hollywood's "Apprehension Engine" musical instrument:

So of course, to the RACIST, it'd be exclaimed that its WHITE peoples instrument.

But the reality is that Hollywood is its own culture, to go and use it as one outside of the likes of proper Hollyweird CULTure well wouldnt that be "Cultural Appropriation"??

Oh that's right, the sorts that adhere to the entire logic of it, as far as I've ever noted, only contemplate this stuff in racial terms...

Which ironically enough Hollyweird are the very sorts into that sort of logic while are also tokenizing minority to such a professional degree that the world has no historical equal!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 23-3-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Nationalism is bad because it makes it a lot harder for certain controlling elite types to break everyone off into little segregated factions that they can more easily control and manipulate by playing them against one another.

If everyone saw one another as a countryperson first and had common ground then we could more easily work out our differences for the betterment of everyone without sweeping, ill-ceonceived legislation, infringed rights and censorship. Instead, the controlling elite like it when you identify as something specific to a particular "special" group within that nation like a color, for example, so you are closed off to the other groups and can reach no common understanding on our own and in slides them to help settle the divide and "heal our pain" -- which, of course, they never ever do because it would be against their own self interest to do so. Instead they further widen the divide and go prospecting for the next identity group ripe for exploitation they can add to their collection.

Nationalism, of course, can itself be used in this manner too when the controlling elites pit nations and against nations and that is very much something to be cognizant of with nationalism so you don't get taken for a fool just as everyone who prescribes to the identitarian model, left or right, is doing right now. In fact, it is when the identitarian model and nationalism work in tandem is when you have mass scale grave consequences. Which is why "white nationalism" is not a good thing. But guess what, the identiarian part always comes first which then feeds into the opposite of what that model is intended creating an identity among a majority group that then becomes nationalistic and then that is when bad snip goes down. They are feeding into what they claim to be opposing. I don't think that is intentional on the controlling elites part. I suspect that they are really just that naive that they don't think their actions have consequences.

So in summation, this is why things like humanity, conscience and the old golden rule of treating others as you would want to be treated are so tried and true and profoundly vital to our existence. It ain't hard and quite frankly it is baffling that we are still struggling with this so mightily in the present day. If you despise senseless war between nation sates that is waged for no other reason than for greedy, controlling elites to profit off the misery of the people then you should feel the same way about identity politics and so-called cultural appropriation - which is nothing but a construct to divide people and create pain and misery for profit.
edit on 23-3-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The problem with cultural appropriation is that it’s not based on logic or rationality so trying to apply some like you have in the OP is basically a waste of time.

It always makes me chuckle a bit when asians or black people talk about cultural appropriation in English, a bit hypocritical of them to appropriatie the tongue of my ancestors.

I’ll take the subject seriously when I hear someone talk about it in Swahili or Chinese, I mean I won’t understand them but that will just mean it’s easier to be ignored like it should be

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   
bugger

Dbl post
edit on 23/3/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 04:17 AM
link   

nationalism
/ˈnaʃ(ə)n(ə)lɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.
advocacy of or support for the political independence of a particular nation or people.

I am proud of my country I support the teams of my country to the exclusion of

the piece striked out which is unnecessary and a bit too far in my estimation.......

I assume that makes me a nationalist?

racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I would have to be blind not to acknowledge that races with strong

characteristics and varied skin tones are not the same as me. In my eyes it

would be racist to pretend the differences didn't exist. However the striked out

is a step too far being different isnt automatically a case for discrimination,

antagonism or to feel superior.

Does acknowledging that there are differences make me racist?

edit on 23-3-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I'm an American nationalist. Its my nation and I belong to it. I'm an American nationalist. Country first.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
In fact geuine racism refuses to appropriate. Genuine racism says "Those X people are despicable, I'm not going to imitate anything about them, and I don't want anyone else to imitate them either".

edit on 23-3-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I'm an American nationalist. Its my nation and I belong to it. I'm an American nationalist. Country first.

until something catastrophic is happening and your country needs international help. country first? that means only northamerica? without canada, right? and what about southamerica?

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I think your logic is confused. Fascism is not nationalism and "cultural appropriation", while being based around the idea of "belonging to a place", is not necessarily nationalistic. Thus it's a stretch to infer therefore that "cultural appropriation" is fascist.

You can be a staunch nationalist, but that does not suggest you are a fascist - although clearly globalists would like to make that link. There's more to fascism than extreme nationalism.

While I think "cultural appropriation" is for the weak-minded and intellectually blinkered, it appears to be rooted in the exploitation of what people think identifies them as a person within a cultural context. For the most part that is bollocks and cherry picks a modern and patronising outlook on what made a culture, which may no longer exists. Take dreadlocks as a good example, because dreadlocks are culturally agnostic and have appeared in many societies through time - to suggest they are from "black culture" (whatever that is) is making a fantasy of the past.

So. People who push "cultural appropriation" are not fascists. They are people who seem have a view that cultures never change, which is nonsense. Nationalists believe in the nation state and the cultures of the moment within that nation. Fascists use national and cultural identity to push for societal order and superiority.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

originally posted by: musicismagic

until something catastrophic is happening and your country needs international help. country first? that means only northamerica? without canada, right? and what about southamerica?

The neighbors come to help your first, international help. To much YouTube you've been watching.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Party before country! It's the American way!

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
The problem with cultural appropriation is that it’s not based on logic or rationality so trying to apply some like you have in the OP is basically a waste of time.

It always makes me chuckle a bit when asians or black people talk about cultural appropriation in English, a bit hypocritical of them to appropriatie the tongue of my ancestors.

I’ll take the subject seriously when I hear someone talk about it in Swahili or Chinese, I mean I won’t understand them but that will just mean it’s easier to be ignored like it should be

Funny cause, the only person i've ever heard talk about it in real life(as in not on the internet) was some skinny white dude complaining about how white rappers are culturally appropriating rap from black people. He was talking to some Asian dude. He didn't say anything though until the 2 black as #, thick accented, some kind of actual African dudes left his earshot.
edit on 23/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Are you talking about culture or racism? They are two different things. Or does a confirmation bias prevent you from recognizing the differences?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

the piece striked out which is unnecessary and a bit too far in my estimation

Yeah. Except that you can't have your cake and eat it.
When your nation comes first, others will have to come second. Your estimation thus ignores simple logics.

Furthermore, nationalism doesn't equate fascism. It may end there, sure. But it could also lead to progress. A good example would be the Peace of Westphalia, our foundation for state-sovereignty.

However. It bears a certain connotation due to everything that happened afterwards, especially in Europe. And we would be fools to deny that reality in favor of feelings and/or anti-PC-culture tribalism.

What the fck happened to nuance btw?
edit on 23-3-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
Keep stoking the fire. That's what ats is for. All these stories would have quickly fizzled before the internet. But now the anger gets perpetuated. Until the next pot stirring story, which is always only a few clicks away.

So we cant talk about anything, cause that would be "stoking the flames". What a weak minded philosophy!

When something is bull#, calling it out as bull# is not "stoking the flames". When people become aware that it is BS, it actually prevents future flames from being lit.

Putting an end to this Cultural Appropriation Hysteria once and for all would put out so many fires... How could you be so short sighted?

"Im a PEOPLE PERSON!!! What the Hell's the matter with YOU PEOPLE?!?!"

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: eletheia

When your nation comes first, others will have to come second. Your estimation thus ignores simple logics.

Correct .....

And when it comes to people my family comes first..... you can't

get simpler than that. And I make no apologies for it.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker

It's an interesting question though isn't it?

Why is it wrong to enjoy aspects of other cultures in your lifestyle if you do not belong to those other cultures? And why are we only fussed if those aspects are Hollywoodized versions of those other cultures?

For example, why does no one get upset on behalf of the Maasai when we see some other white person walking around with ear plugs? Why is there no huge outcry about the widespread ownership of Appaloosa horses outside the Nez Perce tribe who bred them originally?

It's all very selective isn't it? It seems that only certain cultural markers are deemed to be appropriation. I think it's more that someone does something like ... "I don't like seeing suburban white women in their yoga pants. Yoga came from India. Therefore, I am going to raise a stink about the racist cultural appropriation of white women in yoga pants, stealing what isn't theirs from another culture because everyone would think I'm just whining if I straight up admitted I just didn't like seeing white women in yoga pants."
edit on 23-3-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

What I'm saying is we all know how idiotic and absurd it is to get offended by someone who is " culturally appropriating". It's obvious and doesn't require lengthy discussion. But we like to keep preaching to the choir about how obviously right we are. It's unnecessary. It keeps us in a certain mindset of conflict and It keeps that fire burning instead of us just agreeing and moving on to the next thing that gets everyone agitated. I think cultural appropriation should be viewed as flattery in it's sincerest form.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join