It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End Diaper Need Act...Our House representatives hard at work...on wasting our taxpayer money

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Link to Crazy

Yes. The US Congress is looking at new ways to court the low income vote and here it is. Free Diapers and other items for poor families. What? So, not only do those who are poor and have children have access to SNAP, Section-8, Medicaid, Money for chidlcare and EBT now the government should pay for their diapers and other items for the kids?

Now I understand the cost. I had/have 3 kids myself. I would have LOVED some free diapers but hey, if you cannot afford a kid wrap it or close them legs.
The US tax dollar should not have to pay for people who do not want to break the cycle. Again, I understand hardship but welfare programs in the US were originally designed to help so people would get off of assistance. Now it is a crutch that is taught to be depended on.

100 million dollars. Think about that and let's break it down.

Also, there were about 4,000,000 babies born in the US last year. Unmarried was about 40%. So, 1,600,00 new babies who would more than likely qualify. So, at any given time in a 3 year cycle you have about 5,000,000 million who could use diapers. Each would get 20 bucks a year for diapers...sounds like the con is on.

Here is the reasoning.

"Most child care centers won't accept a child without an adequate supply of diapers, preventing low-income families from enrolling their child in child care and returning to work," she said.

"These families should not have to choose between purchasing basic household needs and buying diapers." "No family should have to choose between buying diapers for their child or buying groceries β€” but that is exactly the situation many families face every day," added DeLauro. "Diapers are a matter of basic hygiene, and they are expensive."

The monies would be distributed in the following fashion which I am sure would not lend to fraud in anyway.

A statement from Lee indicates the money would be sent to cities, states and nonprofit groups, which would then help distribute diapers.

Scare tactics. Now, what is even better is these are the same people. who want to spend money on diapers and at the same time fund abortion.

"We need to have the conviction that low-income women should be able to access all the reproductive options,” said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.), a member of the Appropriations Committee and leader of the Pro-Choice Caucus.

Link

This is a crazy as the New Green Deal. If you look at any of them it is spending spending spending to buy buy buy that vote. Promise it is all free and then tax the rich right?

Congress needs to get to work on things we really need and providing free diapers is not it. Especially not 20 bucks per baby per year...
edit on Marpm31pmf0000002019-03-22T15:49:27-05:000327 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We have how many "money for the poor" programs and people still can't provide diapers?!

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

This is how damned stupid people are! Running up to EVERY election in my almost 6 decades on this mad planet these worthless mushrooms we elect do everything in their power to screw us all over UNTIL it's election time. Then they promise they will give us all kinds of free stuff if we elect them AGAIN!

If they cared so much? HOW IN THE HELL HAVE THINGS GOT SO BAD?!?!?

Think about it. Most of us just try to live and get along and avoid BS. So who is responsible for the insanity we are witnessing now?

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

"Link to crazy"

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We have how many "money for the poor" programs and people still can't provide diapers?!

They can, but they spend their ebt dollars on red bull and cigarettes.

Actual tax payers are faced with a very hard choice- they can't afford to have a kid and a home.
The tax burdens just pump out another unit and sick their hands out for more.

link   

Wait till automation takes away low paying jobs that many poor people rely on.

You haven't seen anything yet.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Anyone else remember cloth reusable diapers?

That's what poor folks used thirty years ago, and what everyone used thirty years before that.

You would wash them, and re-use them.

Like a smart person.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
TLDR: I have mixed feelings on "assistance" programs, but this diaper thing is absolutely stupid.

I'm so mixed on this whole issue. Great breakdown, OP. it IS crazy and I agree- the aholes who "represent" us are just doing it for votes.

I am all for helping people who are down and out for a time, and especially people who are born into poverty and have a MUCH harder time getting out of the cycle of poverty than people who aren't born into it. For those who have a real need, I am all for helping.

That help should come with something though, some kind of non-money help they can use to get them out of the cycle. Job training, help getting cleaned up for job applications and interviews, etc. Is that possible? Would that help? I just think there's got to be somthing more can be done besides just throwing cash at people.

But then there's this thing with the diapers. Why are they having babies when they can't even provide for themselves?? I understand there are mistakes...or the condom broke, or whatever. But just...be more damn careful, if you aren't in a situation where you yourself can't even eat. It's even possible to NOT HAVE SEX if you can't deal with the possible consequences. Is that harsh?

I've worked two jobs at once before, while going to school. I had a two-year run where I I worked seven days a week. The only days I had off were Christmas and Thanksgiving during those two years. And listen, I wasn't working two good-paying jobs. One of them was effing RETAIL, where the pay was $10/hour, and I live in DC where $10/hour (before taxes) does NOT go far. But it's what I had to do to feed myself and have a roof over my head.

People who are on all this assistance; the programs outlined in the OP- how many of those folks are working two low-paying jobs? I would like to know that statistic.

So on the one hand, I do feel for those in need, and I support programs for those truly in need. But if there aren't any requirements to be on the hunt for work...or something...how long does it go on, the free cash? I also realize that the assistance people do get is probably not enough to make ends meet, so then I feel guilty for having the "how long should you get assistance" thought.

This diapers deal though...sheer stupidity. You can't buy ONE package of diapers for $20, so that money isn't going to make any kind of dent for anyone. When you look at the numbers as OP laid them out, it is OBVIOUS that the people proposing the program are doing it simply for the optics. 😑

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Free breakfast lunch and dinner even in summer, free Pack n Plays and strollers, free school supplies. there's so much out there that I'm starting to think I'm kinda the stupid one for working like a schmuck

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

But, ain't no one got time for that! Just like cooking healthy meals for your family seems to be a dying art.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
We shouldn't be encouraging those that can't afford kids to have kids. You don't reward bad behavior with subsidies.

Just more Government waste of our tax dollars.
edit on 2019/3/22 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Mandatory abortions for the poor!

That's a compromise right?

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Is it seriously proposing $20/year for diapers? I don't even have kids, but I do have friends who do. Isn't $20 like 1 big pack of diapers, like 50-100ish? That's like 1 months worth max so how exactly is this going to help poor families?

Here we go: Target

160 diapers is $21.99 + tax.
edit on 3/22/19 by thov420 because: fixed decimal point

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

So your solution for being too stupid to use birth control is murder? You must be a barrel of laughs at parties.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: a325nt

So your solution for being too stupid to use birth control is murder? You must be a barrel of laughs at parties.

You've got no idea.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

How about limit it to one kid, anymore then that don't look for the government/tax payers to bale you out.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

So these children should punished for circumstances that are beyond their control?

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Does this surprise anyone here?

Reps. Barbara Lee of California and Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut on Thursday introduced the End Diaper Need Act. The bill is sponsored by other high-profile Democrats like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

Yes,I had over 5 dozen cloth diapers for my baby. I also had a wringer
washer that would always chew up one of my diapers each washing.
I also dried them on a clothesline with clothespins, sunshine and wind.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Scare tactics. Now, what is even better is these are the same people. who want to spend money on diapers and at the same time fund abortion.

That's some pretty twisted logic you've got there.

I'd be more than happy to pay for some diapers if we ban abortion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join